Brake Caliper Bolts

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tiggerii

Brake Caliper Bolts

Post by tiggerii »

Just spent the afternoon in the garage working on my Storm. Fitted a new K&N air filter and then set about fitting new EBC sintered brake pads front and back.

The Haynes manual says Honda recommend new caliper bolts but you can clean up the existing ones and reuse with locking compound. Looking at the bolts I took out they were covered in Copperslip so they've never seen locking compound.

Just looking for some advice on what other people do when changing pads please :?:
2000 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm - SOLD
2009 Triumph Tiger 1050 - from two cylinders to three!
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

I just pivot my fork legs round

But then I have got blade forks and a non-captive mudguard!! :lol:

Serious answer
Re-use them

Before I got the blade forks I did 5-6 track days -removing and refitting the calipers every time after fitting track tyres
Also an average of a set of tyres per year
All with the same bolts without thread lock

They are not massively torqued anyway and as they are quite large bolts they are unlikely to suffer from stretch
My guess is Honda write that so that in the unlikely event they would have a leg to stand on
But don't forget that Winnebago have had to specifically put in their user manual "do not go into the back and make a drink while driving" after some twot in America put it in cruise control and did that and successfully sued them coz it didn't say not to!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben
xxxrated

Post by xxxrated »

i just refitted mine and there was no form of locking compound on it. ive torqued them up, ill give it a week and check again to see all is ok though