tyres, quick questions, need quick answer :-)

General Biker Banter
Squiffythewombat

tyres, quick questions, need quick answer :-)

Post by Squiffythewombat »

Hi Guys,

I have a bit of a problem, actually a major problem, my mech is coming to collect my bike on thursday to sort it, however ive yet to get new tyres which need to be replaced so i have to order them tommorow!

I ride HARD HARD HARD and my tyres get abused, im used to the super sticky BT010's but i really want to stop paying such high prices if theres cheaper tyres offering such grip...

I have heard of these power pilots, avons and the like but am a little scared of buying something that turns out to be russian made potato rubber! I WANT GRIP AND LOTS OF IT.....

....so are these all rumours, should i stick with the BT010s (now BT014) or give something else ago?????

ALL FEEDBACK, FLAMES AND JOKES WOULD BE GREAT but i have to buy these tommorow.....

Peace....
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
trebs

Post by trebs »

BT014's, grippy?
Then I got me some duds.. They're shagged anyway so I'm watching the suggestions too.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

dunlop qualifiers, top tyre, thats what i have

as used by the R6 cup as well, can't be bad!
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

VTR1000KAZ wrote:
try the 012's (the old 020's) if you wanna go Bridgestone.
Kaz, think you're getting confused there hun -the 012 is a trackday tyre the 020 is a distance tyre and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone (even just on the rear)
Had one on the rear and it lacked any sort of grip in a straight line. To be fair it was ok in the corners but to my mind didn't give significantly more mileage than the 010 but the profile went off much more than the 010 ever did

Squiffy
Give the Pirelli Diablo's a try.
Just get the standard ones coz I don't feel the corsa warms up properly and certainly doesn't grip as well in the wet

Ben
Squiffythewombat

Thanks for all the replies, certainly opened up some options!

I think theres a little confusion about the bridgestone tyres...

BT014- Super sticky, these are replacing the 010 series, also very sticky
BT020- Much harder compound road tyre (fiddler)
BT012- Not for road use????

Ive riden with both 010s and 014's, i would say the 014s are much better, and Kaz i couldnt really give a rats butt about how long the tyre lives, its just the grip im intrested in!

Trebs, thats well unusal that you dont like the 014's, ive only heard good things about them?

As for diablos, they are about the same price as the bridgestone so im not overly wanting to change to them, what about pilot sports?

Can anybody tell me the differences between the pilot sports and the pilot powers?

THANKS all!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

yossa

Post by yossa »

ive just fitted 014's and cant fault em on the twisties but they are no good 4 motorway work
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

207's fitted to mine last year and they feel fine in the dry and not bad in the wet either. :D
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

I used an 020 rear on my last storm mached with an 01something front. I wanted a bit more milage out of the rear because of motorways an bike instructing I was doing at the time. I had no problem on the road at all and even at Brands Hatch for a trach day I could not find fault!
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Squiffythewombat wrote: i couldnt really give a rats butt about how long the tyre lives, its just the grip im intrested in!
A-ha
Now we're getting to the nub of your requirements
'Super grippy tyre for not much money'

In which case the ONLY option is to get to your nearest race track and get a set of part worn Rennsports or Supercorsa's
Usually only £50ish for a pair, plenty of tread in the middle, enough tread on the sides to last the same as the middle for road use and more grip than you can conceivably use on a Storm (I've touched the exhaust headers down on them)

Ben
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

I use Pilot Powers. They're just the medium compound, but stick like gum in hair. Love them. Friend went from them to the Sports (soft). The Sports are even stickier, so I'm heading for them next time. Highly recommended. I've ridden his bike with them on & can definitely feel the difference. Imagine the Sports will wear out faster, but they'd be the go for stick.
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?
Paddockstand Ltd

TYRES

Post by Paddockstand Ltd »

Come and talk to me when it comes to tyres!!!!

I am bloody cheap and they come next day to the uk mainland (once paid for) and we regulary have offers on!
Regards

Steve

Paddockstand Ltd
www.paddockstand.co.uk
Paddockstand Ltd

Oh and for the record Pilot Power 2CT's dual compound tyres if you must have Michelins
Regards

Steve

Paddockstand Ltd
www.paddockstand.co.uk
xxxrated

Post by xxxrated »

my evo corsas cost me £109 for the pair and are good for fairing down fun. ill be sticking with pirellis for a long time i tell thee
Squiffythewombat

Alas i missed my deadline so am going to have to wait a week or so extra now, but its given me a chance to do some reading up!

As i said, ive been on 010's and 014s but want to try something new so i think its now between the pilot sports or supercorsas if i can find any cheap enough!

Ben, if you know of any please do let me know, that would be great!

Padock stand dude...im sure your cheap, but what i think is cheap and what you think is cheap might be quite differnet! (god i hate being self employed sometimes!)

XXX- ermmmm £109 for a pair? WHERE WHERE WHERE? and youve got your fairings down? WTF!!!!! ....piccys?
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Paddockstand Ltd

Tyre deals

Hi,

Took some uploading but I have my tyres deals on our website :)

Some cracking prices I think.
Regards

Steve

Paddockstand Ltd
www.paddockstand.co.uk