Tyres and brakes

General Bike chat
curly

Tyres and brakes

Post by curly »

Hi all,
I've had my storm for 3 weeks now, love it!! :D
I've locked the back wheel up 3 or 4 times changing down! 8O
I'm thinking of putting braided hoses on as the brakes don't feel too good, can anyone recommend better brake pads?
When i got my bike it had a Dunlop 204 front and a Pirelli Evo dragon rear.Not had a problem but i've not really pushed it yet.
I'm thinking of putting a dragon on the front to match up, are they any good?
Curly.
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

I would change out the 204 as soon as poss, because the 204 is not anywhere as sticky as the rear you have on.
best combination would be a evo corsa front & evo rear.
as to pads, this tends to be down to preference.
ebc, dunlop pad, or carbon lorrane, are all good.
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Qoute
I've locked the back wheel up 3 or 4 times changing down

You must have been a four cylinder man before! I kept doing the same a couple of months ago when I got mine.

I have just put Bridgestone 012s on mine to replace the origional Dunlop204s. The words 'Like a new bike' come to mind
Robbe

tyres and brakes

Post by Robbe »

Running 207RR's on mine, nicely scrubbed, just got the last 10mm or so on the edge of the rear to go. lots of grip and lean. May have to tweak the penske now though to soften the rear a bit.
Did pads at same time, fitted EBC HH's.
They've transformed the braking, along with cleaning the calipers up and sorting out a sticky piston, looks like ive got a slightly warped disk though :(
May have to wait till end of summer to sort that, due to finances (impending house move)

Robb
Hooner

Tyres

Post by Hooner »

I would change out the 204 as soon as poss, because the 204 is not anywhere as sticky as the rear you have on.

Hi, i would like to add ...I have also made the change from a 4-cylinder, and experienced the "learning curve"..however..not once have the standard fitted 204`s let me down....I do admit though..that i`ve done approx 2k on them and i`m down to the wear markers already...(bummer) 8O
I used to run 207RRs on the previous bike (CBR6) and it was glued to the road....i`m not sure about value for money though with a softer tyre..these V twins don`t half put some grunt down on the tarmac.....I really wouldn`t expect more than 2-2.5k per rear tyre on a softer compound..... :roll:
Ride it like ya stole it !
curly

Post by curly »

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies, helpful.
Yes I was a four cylinder boy before! But I wouldn't go back now, having too much fun.
New tyres soon, looking forward to a good summer. :D
Curly
blackstorm996

Post by blackstorm996 »

Hi curly, I've had my storm for 15 months now and still look forward to riding it.
Had 207's on it, replaced them with Avon Azaro's and have less than 10mm to the edge without trying! really can't fault them despite putting them on for commuting (changed jobs - don't commute now). As for pads I was really worried about the VTR's brakes, they were very spongy and weak despite plenty of pad and several bleedings. Fitted EBC HH pads 2 weeks ago and I can seriously say they have transformed the bike; plenty of bite and 100% more stopping power. I think that any of the top 3 pads would probably do the same but from experience I would thoroughly recommend the EBC's.
Enjoy the V twin experience!!
Jim.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

You have to watch with anything other than the OEM pads as the standard disks can warp quite easily.

Spongey brakes are usually a sign of sticky pistons in my experience.

I put EBC prolite disks, HH pads & braided hoses and the stopping power was transformed - best to do that after you've had the forks re-sprung though!