Coolant change

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
geri

Coolant change

Post by geri »

Have changed coolant/ antifreeze as routine.
Drained by removing bottom rad hose, refilled through hose to thermostat until refluxed out of top left rad connection but 1/2 litre left to stated capacity. Any advice on how to ensure fully topped up.
Handbook mentions radiator cap ("do not remove when hot") but I can't see where one can be and plastic header tank is clearly not pressurised.

Noticed previous post re bleeding clutch. Had similar problem of failing to push fluid through. Solved by removing lever assembly, tilting master cylinder reservoir end up, and air bubbles rose up and allowed normal bleeding - presumably air lock with lever on bar when the reservoir is lower than master cylinder.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Geri
:D Welcome on Board :D
The rediator cap is at the top of the R/H radiator. It's easier to get out if the front fairing is off.

Pete.l
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Geri :!:

Chris.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Pete.L wrote:Hi Geri
The rediator cap is at the top of the R/H radiator. It's easier to get at if the front fairing is off.

Pete.l
For 'easier to get at' read 'only possible to get at' :wink:
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Stormin Ben wrote:
Pete.L wrote:Hi Geri
The rediator cap is at the top of the R/H radiator. It's easier to get at if the front fairing is off.

Pete.l
For 'easier to get at' read 'only possible to get at' :wink:
Shhh!
I could have had him fiddling for hours trying to work out how to fill it up and leave the fairing on :wink:
xxxrated

Re: Coolant change

Post by xxxrated »

geri wrote:Have changed coolant/ antifreeze as routine.
Drained by removing bottom rad hose, refilled through hose to thermostat until refluxed out of top left rad connection but 1/2 litre left to stated capacity. Any advice on how to ensure fully topped up.
Handbook mentions radiator cap ("do not remove when hot") but I can't see where one can be and plastic header tank is clearly not pressurised.

Noticed previous post re bleeding clutch. Had similar problem of failing to push fluid through. Solved by removing lever assembly, tilting master cylinder reservoir end up, and air bubbles rose up and allowed normal bleeding - presumably air lock with lever on bar when the reservoir is lower than master cylinder.
geri youre an absolute legend, done what you said and within 2 minutes i had a clutch. you would not believe how happy i am you really wouldnt. all i had to do all this time was jam my foot up against the wall lean the bike on my leg and pump the unknwon air lock out of the master cylinder. wooooooohooooooooooo the beast is back :twisted:
geri

Post by geri »

Many thanks for info re radiator cap - hadn't seen it for looking- ashamed to say have had bike 9 years (8000km only from new -German import), never changed or needed to top up coolant despite customary water pump weep. I've got the cap off with fairing in situ - next step to see if can top up and replace without more surgery.

Interested to see posts on cam chain tensioners and rectifier/ regulators. Used to read registry when I first got the VTR and never saw this mentioned- how common are these problems?