Write-off?
40%
Repair?
60%

Total votes: 15

VTRgirl

It had to happen sooner or later...

Post by VTRgirl »

Threw my Storm down the road on Sunday morning :cry: . Been riding for 13 years without incident & she just did a runner on me. I figure there must've been oil on the road or something because I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. Just rounding a left-hander in town, no excessive speed or anything & she just let go. The front tyre is fairly new (Qualifier, supposedly comparable to the Pilot Power, which I adore) & wouldn't have been fully warmed up, but still surprised. I think I've got enough experience to know I wasn't asking for this.

Anyway, front side faring is stuffed, indicator now with tape, gear leaver bent & scratches to the mirror cover, clutch, handle-bar, footpeg, exhaust system + cans, all on the left.

Have had it looked at today & it's been recommended that perhaps another couple of things, ie, a dint in the tank, might ensure a write-off. I'm a little undecided as to where to go from here... Not sure I'm prepared to put in another say $7,000 to get a new one. Mine's got about 85,500kms on it & is worth about $6,000 as a write-off (the newies are $14,000 here). Not sure if accessories are included in my policy, but I've also damaged my helmet, boots, jeans & jacket. Always just after you've bought a new helmet, right?

Now that you know the important stuff, I've buggered my left knee & upper back & my left arm is very weak, but I'm pretty sure all is temporary. The bike slid about 10m & I did a rather spectacular tumbling roll for about 6 or 7. Worthy of filming, I'm sure, but alas, nobody saw. I was up on my feet with the bike uprighted before I really knew what had happened.

Anyway, your opinions on the write-off / repair decision would be muchly appreciated.

To top it off, I've recently quit my job & finished up Saturday afternoon. One of the girls has clearly jinxed me by asking what I'd do if I crashed now, with no sick leave, etc. Must pay her a visit...
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

geeze i'm gutted for you

lets hope all is temporary and you're back ok soon as

as for the bike, just depends how you would feel if it was repaired, would you trust it??

have a look round see whats available and then decide would be my advice
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Noooooooooooo!

Glad to hear you're relatively unhurt. I had a similar off on a roundabout... the tumbley rolly thing was fun, like an A ride at Blackpool :)

Insurance options:

Write it off, buy it back, fix it up. Worth checking to see how this will effect your future insurance.

Take it to a garage, strike the best deal you can on repairs, get a written quote, claim that. If you tell them it's an insurance job, suddenly parts cost double and labour is $500 per hour.

Tell the garage it's an insurance fix and see how bad it is. Likely write off? I've found insurance companies don't care at all and will write it off than deal with the hassle of fixing it.

Don't tell them (naughty) and fix it yourself. As nobody else is involved there's no claims against you for damage, so whilst I would never condone such obviously irresponsible and illegal behaviour, it's doable...

Ultimately, it's down to money. How much will fixing it with breakers bits and ebay stuff cost Vs. professional job, Vs. cost of new gear too.

You can always choose not to claim and just inform the insurers that there's been an accident. Should cover you legally and allow you to do a self funded fix or garage job. Bit fuzzy on Aussie law though... best to check.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
kevg

Post by kevg »

Sorry about the off, as usual these things happen at the worst times, hope your feeling better soon.

i think Kitch has covered all the options, how would you feel about riding it after it's repaired, might be better hitting the frame with a brick(must have been the kirb, honest!) and getting it written off, although by the sounds of that, it won't leave you financially sound.
cheerz

kev
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Hope you are alright VTRgirl,

Sorry to hear about the off.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
feef

Post by feef »

personally,

if noone else was involved, and there's no Requirement for a claim, I'd be tempted to repair it myself and not get the insurance companies involved. However, if it's your only mode of transport and you need it, and if you don't have the cash to do the work asap, it could end up being more hassle than it's worth.

I just loathe the idea of paying more to the insurance companies than I have to, and if I don't have to claim, I won't. I'm also fortunate that if I do drop a bike, I can use another in the meantime (or even use the c@r)

a
FJR1300
YZF1000 Thunderace
VTR1000 Firestorm
FZR400
DR350S
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Sorry too hear about your spill VTRgirl, but glad too hear that you seem to be reasonably OK as for as not breaking any bones :!:

I think most things regarding the which option on the VTR has been covered, so its going to be what suits you the best, I realise the bike was your only form of transport :!:

I hope you feel better soon :)

Chris.
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

Sorry to hear of your off :cry:
definate bit of jinxing going on there i think 8O
but at least you are up and about,
bikes are much more easily fixed...just ask marty
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

REALLY sorry to hear your woes girly, get well soon
On the plus side, any accident you can walk away from is a good one

On the other side, there's some top-tips already
Really comes down to a couple of options

1. A lot of insurance companies will allow you a couple of accidents without trashing your no-claims. If thats the case with yours, take 'em for every penny. You've been lining their pockets for 13 years and not had a penny back

2. Even if it IS gonna put your premiums up next year, how out of pocket are you gonna be if you fix it yourself? Increased premium $200 Fixing costs $2000. Its a no-brainer

3. If its declared a write-off and you don't want the hassle of sourcing a replacement bike (second hand is fine BTW) try getting a garage to quote but tell them you're funding it, not an insurance co.
Then put that quote to the insurance company along with costs for kit etc.

At the end of the day, if you just want the easy solution of getting the insurance co. to deal with everything then they're gonna do what's best FOR THEM
If you are prepared to put some time and effort in yourself you'll be surprised how much you can get them to do.
Even with things like if you're prepared to fit the replacement fairing, mirror and indicator yourself if they buy the bits

HAGGLE
HAGGLE
HAGGLE

And if you do decide to take the cash
NEVER take their first offer, its always a stinker.
Get prices from the net, local bike shops, MCN and use that to show the true value of the bike
And don't forget the extras (eg cans) which you obviously notified them about 8O

Hope this helps and we get to hear more stories of VTR derring-do from the sunny colonies very soon
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

Thats really crap VTRgirl, at least you werent hurt!

Hope you get back on the road soon! :-) Chin Up :-)
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
thumper

Post by thumper »

so sorry to hear of your off girlie , hope you mend real quick and get out there on two wheels really soon :(
just because your breathing doesn't mean your alive
eddvtr1000

Post by eddvtr1000 »

get better quik vtrgirl, glad your ok of sorts.
dunno what id do until i got all the figures so i cant say anything, sorry to be no help. :oops:
4 cyl = 2ltr , 2 cyl = 1ltr it's all relative.
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

VTR girl I really hope you make a quick recovery. As for the bike, you have said it's got 85k Ks on the clock. Would a newer lower mileage bike after a write off be the better way to go
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Tough luck VTRgirl ! :cry: Best wishes and kisses on all the bits that hurt !!!! :D :D :D
Beast

Post by Beast »

So sorry to hear this VTRgirl, get better soon hun.

Wait a few days and see how you feel about a new bike or getting it repaired.