Today i rode a blade..

General Biker Banter
Squiffythewombat

Today i rode a blade..

Post by Squiffythewombat »

Hi Guys,

Ive ridden quite a few different bikes, however last time i was out i tried a 99 blade. I have to say WOW what a difference over the storm!

That extra 80? brake sure makes a difference and i now realise why i always have to chatch people on the brakes/approach.

The handling was like a bullet and ten times easier more comfortable than the R1! Only thing i didnt like was the lack of feedback through the nasty dunlops but c'est la vie!

Im now seriously considering an upgrade at the start of next year, im wondering how the extra power and generaly handling performance would effect my riding as i ride the storm hard as it is!

I should prolly sort the storm suspension as its only on the 2nd rutt on the back shock but the blade on ultra soft was still much harder than mine (which is on soft)

Toby

- ok flame me now..
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

Know what you mean.............got GSX R1000 K6............still running it in, but bloody hell what a difference. Even standard settings it goes round corners like a hot knife through butter. Max revs 6,500 at moment and over the ton. red line about 14,000 so bit scary really. the acceleration is amazing.
Okay loved the storm, but this is a different game............love it.
it may be clever, but its not big.
orangestorm

Post by orangestorm »

I hate to say it but when I eventually change Old Faithfull it will be for a Blade...The performance n handling is awesome.The only problem the current colours sre boring.Pal of mine has an '06 with an Akropovic titanium system he reckons 111 mph in 1st gear now thats quick :lol: :lol: :lol:
grinner

Post by grinner »

Try the '06 when you can, best of all of them! 4th gear unicycle!!!
slim_boy_fat

Post by slim_boy_fat »

orangestorm wrote:I hate to say it but when I eventually change Old Faithfull it will be for a Blade...The performance n handling is awesome.The only problem the current colours sre boring.Pal of mine has an '06 with an Akropovic titanium system he reckons 111 mph in 1st gear now thats quick :lol: :lol: :lol:
Snap
It's here.........
Squiffythewombat

see i thought i was going to get flamed but obviously not!

Seems that all those posative points just reiterates my lust and thoughts of change..
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Max

Post by Max »

Most of the crotch rocket flaming seems to be aimed at the riders not the bikes, an interesting bike is an interesting bike

CARPE TeDiuM :D :D
Max

RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

followed a firestorm today, brought tears to my eyes............especially when i didn't get out of third gear...................didn't need too.
it may be clever, but its not big.
Squiffythewombat

RAINMAKER wrote:............especially when i didn't get out of third gear...................didn't need too.

Says it all really!

But then again blade or sp2? hmmmmm the mind wanders..
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Kitch

Post by Kitch »

I've always known I'll have a 'blade one day...

Always loved them, rode an '03 and that was it.

Insurance and stuff is a killer though, so in a few more years I'll have one too...
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

I'm interested in this.

Getting back to biking (after 23 years) with a Yamaha TDM850, and as of yesterday getting a FireStorm (another step up the ladder)

I've taken a fancy to BIG twins due to their low end pulling power, and been put off multi's due to some poor reviews about having to get the revs up before things happen (I like to just open the throttle and pull away)

How does the Fireblade compare to the Storm in this respect?
Does the Blade appear to lack the low end grunt of the Storm?

Do you have to keep busy with the box, to keep the revs in the power band area?

Just that Twins are so relaxing to ride, and I'm wondering how a modern multi compares.

Thanks.
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

RAINMAKER wrote:followed a firestorm today, brought tears to my eyes............especially when i didn't get out of third gear...................didn't need too.
And I wonder where all this power goes on tight twisties in France I love so much :) when local guy on XR600 supermoto overtaking me on Storm, my friend on Busa, his friend on K5, another guy on CBR600rr and dissapears :?

Just joking - enjoy your new bike, new Gixxers are awesome. Only downside - completely useless for long journeys :( just as well as all this breed - R1s, ZX10s, Blades (except old one)....

But - about local guy on XR - it is true story... When road limit top speed to 60 mph all this power is not much of use...even Storm is too much :wink:

I am looking at 2006 Sprint ST - great bike, lots of low-end grunt (torque peaking at 5000 rpm!) and still nice top rush....but: with this level of presence of dealers, spares and service in combination with bike full of electronics and tricky stuff I will always feel vulnerable in my long tours... Plus finance they offer is faaaaar from Honda level.... 8O
If only it would have been Honda! :cry:
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Tempest wrote:How does the Fireblade compare to the Storm in this respect?
Does the Blade appear to lack the low end grunt of the Storm?

Do you have to keep busy with the box, to keep the revs in the power band area?

Just that Twins are so relaxing to ride, and I'm wondering how a modern multi compares.

Thanks.
Depends what you're comparing to
If you mean an IL4 600, then yes the Storm annihilates it in the low-mid range but loses out when the 600 screams into the power

If you're comparing to an IL4 1000 -no contest
They have so much grunt on tap everywhere in the rev range its a pure myth that a twin is gruntier.
Even stuff thats supposed to be comparable (eg 999SP RSV etc) has to be tuned to produce power at the expense of v-twin grunt
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
Badger

Post by Badger »

Bluesman,

I tried an ST Sprint 3/4 weeks ago, nice bike, didn't seem to have the same grunt as the storm, also felt big & heavy, but saying that it turned & cornered very well. Seemed very expensive at 8 grand as well :!:

I also tried & bought a new 05 model Daytona 955i, what a bike :!:
suspension, brakes, power, ride & comfort all better than the storm.
Also a real bargin & a LOT of bike for £5800.00ish

Well pleased with it.

Alan

PS Almost forgot the best bit more MPG :lol: :lol: :lol:

see ya suckers. :wink:
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

but still same problem :( it is Triumph - try to find spare parts in middle of nowhere....even here I know just 2 dealerships (both small) comparing to huge Honda dealers with 24-hours any part delivery policy...
Since I prefer long journeys I guess I have to stay with Japs..

I like 955i thou. It's just if I change I change to VTR1200 (Ha! Like they ever going to make one :)) or sporttourer. I should start thinking of carrying a passenger more...

1000cc VFR would be IDEAL! :)
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul