CCT Poll - Everday use VERSUS Sunny day use

General Biker Banter
amacbrown

CCT Poll - Everday use VERSUS Sunny day use

Post by amacbrown »

Was interested to hear if people who have had problems with their CCTs are occuring on bikes that are used everyday or is it more prevalent on bikes that are used less frequently?
VTRmart

Post by VTRmart »

Use mine everyday, and fairly hard, it's an 98 storm with 10k miles, front CCT went :(
It may be coincidence, but it went the day after I had been giving the bike a damn hard thrashing chasing a new Speed Triple around!
VTRmart

Post by VTRmart »

.... although I just realised that the fact my 98 storm has only 10k on it must mean the previous owner (who had it from new) barely road it!!! so it could be lack of use or hard use that killed mine.. 8O
baldzone

Post by baldzone »

35k on the clock, pretty much daily use form March to November, gets a bit of stick once in a while. Front CCT went on a gentle (ish) overtaking manouvre from 40mph to about 80mph. Went when I shut off (in 3rd gear).
Ians98VTR

Post by Ians98VTR »

8O 98, 21,000 miles had front go twice,not used every day,standard cans
both times,got scorpion race cans on now,nowhere near as much vibration
now,and sounds fantastic,hope tensioners will last longer,bike seemed to choked/vibey,with standard cans,i think vibration got lots to do with cct going,also front one not in oil,will suffer more maybe?,now regularly oil front cct. what ya think??
Wow! bet that can shift
VTRmart

Post by VTRmart »

Don't want to worry you Ian, but mine had Scorpions on it..... I don't think they'll stop the CCT going again sometime in the future :cry:

They do sound great though....
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

In my personal statistic I keep from 2 forums it looks like 98-99 Storms are most prone to CCT failure. I rarely saw 1997 CCT failure stories.
Mine was at 39000 km when I changed CCTs to latest (thou I still experimenting with Kawasaki ratchet CCTs).
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

If you do a search on here you will find lots of info on cct's, in short they can go at any time but usually when you shut off, listen for ticking every day before you ride and get them changed before whole engine blows, or get APE tensioners.
it may be clever, but its not big.
slim_boy_fat

Post by slim_boy_fat »

I wonder if there ever has been a straight poll on year of bike and cct failure?

Also wonder if honda has made any mods to the CCT you can buy now over the ones they fitted 7-8 years ago.
It's here.........
VTRbob

Post by VTRbob »

mines a 97 with 64,000 miles on original cct's, i've got some new springs but not fitted them, just oil front every month, if they have'nt broke by now they must be good so im leaving well alone :D i ride it about 4 times aweek.
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

2002 Model with 24K no problems with any parts failing,
only things Ive had to change were notchy rear wheel bearing and worn rear brake disk.
Anonymous

ccts

Post by Anonymous »

i got a 97 with 46thou on the clock front went just after i got so i made some manual ones check the tension every 3thou and no probs.also changed all the guides and both the chains at 30thou
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

Mines a 96 model with 38k on the clock!

Front CCT went at 16k miles and was replaced. Back is the same as it was when i got the bike.

I ride everyday and the bike gets THRASHED!

Personally i see little corilation between weekend use and everyday use other than miles covered and engine duress, both of which are bike and user specific.
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Squiffythewombat wrote:Mines a 96 model with 38k on the clock!

Front CCT went at 16k miles and was replaced. Back is the same as it was when i got the bike.

I ride everyday and the bike gets THRASHED!

Personally i see little corilation between weekend use and everyday use other than miles covered and engine duress, both of which are bike and user specific.
Wow, you got oldest Storm here! :wink:

Was it grey import from Japan? Here or in US Storm was only released in 1997...so nobody got 96 model
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Use mine most days. One of the CCTs failed only because I didn't rebuild one of them correctly after a preventative replacement!! :oops:

I'm now running home made manual CCTs.
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.