Starter motor problem

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jcdj

Starter motor problem

Post by jcdj »

Well my storm has been stuggling to turn over and I had a brief look at the starter motor, WOW the power strap that connects to it there is a small bolt wrth two nuts on it, well the nuts do not look like nuts anymore just blobs of rust the rubber boot has split and water has been sitting there eating it.

Has anyone replaced this bolt it look like an easy job it such a sod though I was going to start riding to work this week :(
I love my storm and I really dont want another bike what am I going to do
kevg

Post by kevg »

if you look through some of the old posts someone was trying to drum up support to get a batch of these made from stainless, can't remember who, might have been delmek, but that would be a guess, think pete L may have bought one, and a few others, someone will be along soon to put me right.
i don't think there are any left but you might be able to get the dimensions and have one made yourself.
cheerz

kev
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hi JCDJ
Its an easy enough job but don't force the nuts to undo them. The bolt has a rectangular head inside the starter motor which is encased in a bakolite type material and it is very brittle. (I bust mine and found out the hard way :oops: )
Just to top things off none of the internal parts of the starter motor are available as spares except the brushes. So make sure you keep all the little fibre washers and the rubber o rings intact or you'll be routing around the breakers for a replacement motor.
I ended up using a s/steel button headed alan bolt and filed it into shape for a replacement. I can't remember the dimensions off the top of my head but if you measure the diameter of whats sticking out the motor and find a button head about 25-30mm long it should fit.
Give us a shout if you need any advise.

Pete.l
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

This happened to me last year - And after a lot of fiddling it soon became apparent that water and crud had entered the starter motor thriough the corroded bolt holes - Looked at local refurbishment but it was cheaper to throw and get a 2nd hand one (a new starter motor would have cost hundreds!). Now I regularly grease the bolts under the rubber hood.