Life after a storm

General Bike chat
craigybaby

Life after a storm

Post by craigybaby »

As you are all probably aware I've had my storm for six months now and despite a few teething problems with it, on the whole I am very pleased.

But bikes dont last forever so I've been thinking about my options when I come to change my storm.

I'm a bit of a honda fan but I am open to suggestions and I'm just trying to gauge what's out there really.

My shopping list or considerations I've listed below but I'd love to hear what other people think about them or what they're considering.

* the new storm 2002 onwards - with the revised dash and higher bars. Is there much difference, is it worth going for one of these? I'm considering it because you still get the v-twin experience.

* the VFR. I'm thinking I'm a bit young for this at the moment. I'd probably go for the latest model before the VTEC was launched. mainly because they hold their value well and new ones are expensive and a bike isn't essential so I cant justify spending loads of money on one. Very reliable and comfortable but just a bit too boring at the moment?

* Honda CBF1000, the local dealer was trying to get me to buy one when I picked the storm up the other day. Have had a quick look on the net about them but they look a bit boring :? Apparently they've got the same torquey feeling and mid=range as the storm (but not the same noise). Would be great for commuting back and fore to work but also scratching. POssibly out of my price range at the moment.

* CBR6 - styling is looking a bit dated.

* CBR600RR - out of my price range and not comfortable

* CBR1000RR fireblade - latest model. looks nice - possibly out of my price range and would probably cost me an arm and a leg in insurance (even in Wales!) How comfortable are they to ride for an hour or so?

* Suzuki SV650/SV1000 - they were ok but I'm not fussed on the styling to be honest.

* CBR1100XX Super Blackbird - the wolf in sheeps clothing. I wouldnt mind one of these and they get rave reviews. Any comments?

Obviously if Honda are definitely going to be releasing a VTR1200 then i'd seriously consider that. I dont think i'd go for an SP2 to be honest because i don't think its the true all rounder that the storm is.

Any comments or suggestions welcome!
Have you noticed when you're riding that everyone going slower than you is an idiot and everyone going faster than you is a maniac?
Max

Post by Max »

Does this mean that blunder road have fixed your bike ?? What was wrong with it in the end ??
Max

craigybaby

Post by craigybaby »

They said that the choke was sticking on..... 8O

It's still not 100%. Still too vibey for my liking. Yes I know V twins pulsate and the like but this one is a bit too harsh. Just gonna grin and bear it. Wait until it either blows up and then throw my teddy at the dealer or see if they pick any thing up at the 12k service which is imminent or more than likely at the 16k service

Mr Mastoden (i think ive spelled that right) seems to be encountering the same probs. Perhaps he'll come up with a fix before then?
Have you noticed when you're riding that everyone going slower than you is an idiot and everyone going faster than you is a maniac?
Max

Post by Max »

craigybaby wrote:They said that the choke was sticking on..... 8O
Didn't I say that there was something wrong with the choke at my cousins's..................

BTW on your list the only bike I would consider would be the blackbird, Do you know Carl who hangs around at the West end cafe in LLandovery sometimes,(usually on a Blue speed triple) he's just bought a CB1000F brand new and its almost as though thats what honda want to replace the storrm with. its about 100 bhp and not a bad looking bike(but not a twin).
Max

craigybaby

Post by craigybaby »

I gotta say the CBF1000 has had some good write ups and a lad I work with has just bought one and said its mad!

I'd consider it but it looks a bit drab and it's not a V-twin.

I wish I hadn't had a storm because I wouldnt be addicted to the noise now :)

Really pished off with the vibey thing though - think i might px mine for a new one.

Honda Chiswick have got one - new model but its blue and not teal :?
Wroey

Post by Wroey »

Craig,

All depends what you plan on using the bike for I guess mate ….

I only ride when the weather is good and for pleasure purposes. I’ve got an SP2, which is ideal for what I want. Its very quick, handles well and just comfortable enough for the 100 miles until you need a fuel stop. On the downside its crap around town and at slow speeds.

I had a Firestorm for a short time before my SP2 and your right there is quite a difference, with the ‘Storm being more comfortable and easier to ride.

Personally, if I was looking for something purely to ride when the weather is good then it would be the Fireblade. The new ones are very good. Lots of power, lovely looking and comfortable enough for a good couple of hours hard riding.

If I was looking for something to ride daily then it would have to be Blackbird, without a doubt ! Albeit the looks haven’t changed for a few years, still in my opinion the best tourer that can still compete with most modern super sports bikes.
mickt1964

Post by mickt1964 »

Hi
I have gone from a Storm (still can't believe I sold it, well sorted had it from new).
then to a Blade - didn't like it to uncomfortable for me.
then a CB1300 - like it alot but missed a fairing,
so now a VTR VTEC, like the build quality, looks and riding position, probably handles and brakes slightly better than a standard storm. Not so keen on the VTEC, just cannot see the point, gizmo's don't make up for power and torque.
I really wish Honda had brought out an updated storm, with all the things we like about them, some more power and a fresher look, I would buy one.
Thought about a Falco, but decided to stick with Honda.
mickt1964

Post by mickt1964 »

Hi
I have gone from a Storm (still can't believe I sold it, well sorted had it from new).
so now a VTR VTEC, like the build quality, looks and riding position, probably handles and brakes slightly better than a standard storm. Not so keen on the VTEC, just cannot see the point, gizmo's don't make up for power and torque.
I really wish Honda had brought out an updated storm, with all the things we like about them, some more power and a fresher look, I would buy one.
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

CB1300S. Faired CB1300. All the gadgets on dashboard, fairing, awesome engine, quality above expected. My buddy got one (I helped him to choose bike and got him discount at my Honda dealer).
Absolutely delightful bike. CBF1000 is nowhere near - looks cheap and boring ride after CB1300S.
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
mickt1964

Post by mickt1964 »

Hi
MrMastodon

Post by MrMastodon »

craigybaby wrote:They said that the choke was sticking on..... 8O

It's still not 100%. Still too vibey for my liking. Yes I know V twins pulsate and the like but this one is a bit too harsh. Just gonna grin and bear it. Wait until it either blows up and then throw my teddy at the dealer or see if they pick any thing up at the 12k service which is imminent or more than likely at the 16k service

Mr Mastoden (i think ive spelled that right) seems to be encountering the same probs. Perhaps he'll come up with a fix before then?
Yup - me too! Still not found the cause (or whether I'm just expecting too much). I'd be very interested to put it on a dyno too, just too see what sort of power it's making. If it is near 100bhp, then Honda have done a very good job of making it feel like a very unintersting and tortuous delivery!

Good to hear about the choke - it'll give me summat to check out tomorrow!

If I make any headway into turning it into the bike I keep reading about here, I'll let you know!

Cheers
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Hey guys, why don't you try any other similar twin? Who knows - may be V-twin just not your cup of tea? Absolutely no offence, I mean - people are different, aren't they? I know guys who would not move off i4s for life and guys who so stuck with VFRs (750s RC36-2) that would not change it to anything else, and guys that just like twins...
Try TLS, Ducati (if possible ) or at least somebody else's well set Storm and see if it's just twin vibes or your bike really does misbehave...that'll put your mind at rest at least :wink:
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

bluesman wrote:Hey guys, why don't you try any other similar twin? Who knows - may be V-twin just not your cup of tea? Absolutely no offence, I mean - people are different, aren't they? I know guys who would not move off i4s for life and guys who so stuck with VFRs (750s RC36-2) that would not change it to anything else, and guys that just like twins...
Try TLS, Ducati (if possible ) or at least somebody else's well set Storm and see if it's just twin vibes or your bike really does misbehave...that'll put your mind at rest at least :wink:
I would definitely go with Bluesman on trying another Firestorm first, anyway you can :!: :!: :!:

Chris.
Max

Post by Max »

He rode mine a few weeks ago, his was defo a bit more vibey than mine.
Max

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Max wrote:He rode mine a few weeks ago, his was defo a bit more vibey than mine.
That's interesting Max :!: At least he now knows it's not just him imaging it :!: