Disc locks

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
yellowtrev

Disc locks

Post by yellowtrev »

Hi,

Another question for those in the know!?!?

Looking for a disc lock for the bike, just been out and measured the holes and they appear to be 9 mm, is that right?

The disc locks i have seen for sale all seem to be 6mm or 10mm pins.

6mm would be a bit loose, would it not?

Also what do people think about foam grips, i know they don't look the best but i'm thinking of cutting down a bit on the vibes. It doesn't vibrate too much but more than what i am used to.

Thanks in advance,

Trev.
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Disc locks are good for deterring chavvy scum from swiping your ride from outside the post office while you nip in to post a letter... other than that, it doesn't matter much as proper thieves will just smash the disc carrier.

So, don't spend a fortune on one, but any reputable brand (Abus, Motrax, Oxford etc) should be plenty good enough

Also, make sure it has a proper key and not one of those circular lock mechanisms (they're stupidly easy to pick)

Personally, I bought an Oxford Monster chain where the lock has a long hasp design to double as a disc lock. Lock lives in a pouch for quick use, chain lives under the seat fro when I need to lock up properly.

Oh... and devise a foolproof (I really mean it!) way of knowing when its on... nothing like a grands worth of repair bill for new plastics, radiators, calipers and discs when you try and ride off with it fitted...

As for vibes... have you got original clip ons? The big heavy honda OE bar ends are what cut vibes best. I also reckon some good quality rubber grips would be more effective than soft foamy ones.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Kitch is right about needing a device of some sort to remind you that the disc look is fitted, one guy on here rode off (or rather tried to) with his disc lock still fitted :!: He found out the hard way by needing to replace the actual disc :!:

Chris.
dookie

Post by dookie »

Nice to see you back Kitch we thought you were in the kennals or summat .

Can you realy get a oxford monster lock under the seat on your storm?
if you can do you have a different undertray?
There was a time i used to care
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Best two methods I've encountered are:

1. Get a small piece of tube that fits over the disk lock key. Every time you put the disk lock on, take the tube off and stick it in the ignition key hole. then you can't put the key in without removing the rubber tube which SHOULD remind you

2. Get a spiral stretchy key chain thingy and attach one end to the lock and theother goes round you throttle
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
zzr600e1

Post by zzr600e1 »

Eh...That would have been me who tried to ride off :oops:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

zzr600e1 wrote:Eh...That would have been me who tried to ride off :oops:
I hadn't forgotten, I just didn't want to rub it in :!: :wink:
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Having bearly ripped off the front disc carrier, I decided disc locks were'nt the thing for me.

I now use just a big ordinary padlock and lock the chain to the rear sprocket. Not as visible but more effective - I think.

I guess neitehr are effective against determined thieves.
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.