I've blown my fuse!!!!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Pete

I've blown my fuse!!!!

Post by Pete »

Howdy,

I was driving down the road this evening when my firestorm just died out of nowhere, complete electrical failure.

I checked all the fuses and found that the main fuse had blown on me.

I replaced the fuse with a fresh one and BAM, same thing.

I tried disconnecting the battery & fitting another new fuse, re-connected the battery with the same results(got a big dirty spark off the battery terminal too)

Do any of you guys have any ideas as to what could be causing this(and how to fix it?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Peter Brennan.
Pete

Post by Pete »

:( ...........Anybody?
Peter Brennan.
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

Hi Pete

I am renowned for giving technical advice based on nothing more then being full of sh*t!

So, that said - here goes;

Sounds like a short to me. Probably worth taking the body work off and having a good look at all the wiring you can see. If your feeling really adventurous then take a look under the tank too.

Cheers
Pete

Post by Pete »

Cheers Wayne,

I took the rear fairing off after work & had a dig around. I'd talked to a mechanic in a local bike shop(NDM motorcycles, top blokes) and he reckoned it was a short too. After looking the bike over I think it may be that the starter relay is fooked and is blowing the fuse. I'm gonna try & pick one up tomorrow & try it out.

Does this sound plausible?
Peter Brennan.
mike

Post by mike »

definitely sounds like a short to me. I had installed aftermarket turn signals and didn't get the wires completely covered, next thing you know it kept poppin fuses.I would definitely check all the wire connections first.
stormy 1

Post by stormy 1 »

The starter system would be my first point of call,as its the main fuse and i guess you have not changed anything lately.Shorts nomally happen because of age(relays) or vibration somthing V twins are very good at 8O .
noise polution?,you should see my MPG!!!
VTR1000fw,scorpian cans,dynojet and K&N all wrapped up in HRC colours.I need a HRC avatar!.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Cheers for the replies guys :)

I bought myself a new starter relay today(42euro's) which did absolutely no good whatsoever. After a few minutes of violent profanities(that was part of my hugger fund down the shitter) I re-checked everything and found that the diode in the main fusebox looked like it was blown. A quick check with a multimeter confirmed this.

Now, according to what I've read the diode is only really supposed to control the clutch in/sidestand down cutout switch but with it out I can get ignition. The starter will crank & the engine will fire but then dies(although I get no idiot lights, not even an oil light). With the(now blown) diode in, the main fuse goes tits up straight away.

I've ordered a new diode(another 26euro's) in the hope that this will solve the problem.

Keep yer fingers crossed lads.......
Peter Brennan.
RQ

Post by RQ »

Peter,

A quick one for you, where are you ordering your parts from, and are they taking long to get to you. I am having terrible difficulty getting parts in. Everything is taking two and a half weeks min. Major pain when trying to get the machine back on the road.

RQ.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Hi RQ,

I got the starter relay from Mountjoy motorcycles & they're generally good for most other general parts and they usually have most stuff in stock.

I've ordered the diode from NDM cycles in Drumcondra as they are a sound bunch of lads and were about a tenner cheaper than the authorised honda dealers. It should be in mid week.

If you want to get anything major(e.g. radiators etc) your best bet would be to order it in from a shop/garage in England, they're generally a lot more on the ball when it comes to shipping parts.

A mate of mine had fierce trouble with city Honda after he was knocked off his vtr. Between ordering the wrong parts & taking their sweet time doing any repairs it was taking the piss altogether. I'd say stay away from them.
Peter Brennan.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Have you tried David Silver Spares?
01728 833020

They're about half the price of my local Honda dealer and the onlything they've not had in stock was rear disk bolts. That took 4 days as opposed to next day!!

Ben
RQ

Post by RQ »

Thanks for that Pete and Ben, Parts eh ?
Well I am on my third week waiting on a cam chain tensioner from Rathcoole Superbikes (aka Superbikes Direct) on the Naas road, I waited two weeks for one from Meskils in Limerick, and got cam chain gaskets from Chiswick Honda in 4 days.
I have been off the road for two months now, and I am dying for a run on any bike at this stage. My auld lad has a couple of BMW's but I'll never be allowed near them !!, not quite the same as a Stormer anyway........

RQ.
Pete

Post by Pete »

RQ,

I'd stay away from superbikes direct too in the future if I were you, I had nothing but trouble when dealing with them when I was on my CBR.
Peter Brennan.
RQ

Post by RQ »

Pete,

I'll be giving them a miss from here on out, and I'll tell you that DavidSilverSpares site that Stormin Ben posted is great. Definately cheaper, and they say that they usually charge about 15 quid to post over to here. I dropped mine 3 or 4 months ago, and was quoted 250 euro for a clutch cover, on the DSS site, it is 129 sterling. Ended up getting a patch weld done by a mate, good as new !

Ronan.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

If your main fuse blew then I'd definetly suspect that you have a knackered voltage regulator. If you do get it running then get a volt meter across the battery. It should go no higher than 15 volts even when revved hard.

Al.
RQ

Post by RQ »

Pete,

Here's a classic for you. Rang Superbikes this morning to see if my tensioner was in, was told no, but he'd check and ring me back. He rang back and said it wouldn't be in 'till Monday (3 weeks after I ordered it). I got a bit p1ssed off and rang the distributor in Dublin and abused them. Turns out Superbikes only ordered the bloody thing this morning. If I only lived closer to them.................

RQ.