Fuel reserve indicator does not work..

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
petrolhead

Fuel reserve indicator does not work..

Post by petrolhead »

Hello, new to the forum although I had my VTR since new in 1998. I am a Norwegian, living in Norway so plase excuse my poor English.

I have a problem that my fuel reserve indicator stopped working. Having run out of petrol a couple of times before I understood what the problem was :-(( Anyway I have managed to locate the problem to a faulty fuel level swithch, the one inside the tank. My question is, does anybody know of a fix for this? Honda wants to sell me a complete unit, but I think it must be possible to replace the switch, if I only knew the part name (or a switch that would fit) and where I can buy it. Anyone out there who can help me? Thanks for any help...
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Even if you could get a new switch it would be bloddy difficult to replace the one in the tank. Remove the sponge pad from underneath the tank and check all the cables there are in good condition, my friend had this problem and found one of the cables had snapped, fixed it with some speaker cable and electrical tape ;-)

Failing that look on ebay for a cheap tank.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

you do NOT need a new tank, the sender unit will unbolt from the tank and then a new one can be bolted in it's place if it is the sender. In the dash the circuit board for the low fuel warning led it also available as a spare part. Take it (the bike) to a official honda dealer and they should be able to test it and tell you which part is faulty as they can be tested individually. I have a non standard dash (stepper tacho/speedo) and used an led and purchased the circuit board from honda so I still have a low fuel warning light and also may have a sender but test it first and it shouldn't be too expaensive to buy.

Del.
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

Thank you.

I have disabled the tank unit, (unscrewing the four bolts underneath the tank and then taken the unit out of the tank) and there are no faulty or broken cables. The problem is detected to be a faulty sender unit / detector. Hopefully I can find a replacement without having to buy the complete unit?
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

I'll check later and get back to you as I have a honda parts book for the VTR in the shed. I'll check what parts you can get and put the part numbers on too.

Del.
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

As I said I have been able to track it down to the switch / sender unit in the tank, and here´s a picture of the faulty little devil...

delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

you sorted it now then?

sorry I didn't get back to you with the part numbers but been well busy.

Del.
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

No, I only found te faulty part.
Looking for a replacement of some sort. Hopefully our maintenance guys can find something I can use :lol: Otherwise I have to buy the part from Honda, anyway I hope it isn´t too expensive.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Sorry wasnt aware you could remove the sender unit. :roll: Still if youre going to buy an official honda part it will probably still work out cheaper to buy a second hand tank off ebay.
superchicken

same problem different bike.

Post by superchicken »

Looks like I have the same problem. Did you end up replacing the sender unit? If so how much $ and where did you find it? Its hard for me to beleive that the part could cost more than $50 US. That is what I found a used tank on Ebay for. I know this is an old thread but hopefully someone will see this post and help me out. Please! I ran out of gas the other day and my wife had to come bring me some.

p.s. I think I broke it, leaving the choke on while riding.

Antwan
Be the Water!