CCT HELP REQUIRED

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bluelightningbolt

CCT HELP REQUIRED

Post by bluelightningbolt »

Hi all,

Am new VTR FIRESTORM owner and new to this site so a big HELLO to everybody.

Have done 1000 miles or so (bike is W reg with 10,000 on clock) and having lots of fun but have a rattle or a chattering noise from lower front of engine

Having read about problems with the dreaded CCT's on this site, I ordered new ones with the intention of fitting them myself.

Can anyone explain (in lay-mens terms) the easiest way of insuring the engine is at TDC please? and olso if i'm likely to encounter any problems.

any help would be much appreciated.

many thanks. Alan
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

TDC is where the piston is at the top of its travel i *think*!

CCT's are, from what i hear not too hard to change (not done it myself) but read several threads on here where people have used things like coathangers to make sure the chain doesnt fall downwards etc.

Have you tried reading the numerous threads on here, try searching just the workshop form for cct and there should be loads of results!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

where people have used things like coathangers
That'd be me, but I had the cam covers off when I was fitting the manual ones, which you wouldn't need to do to change the CCTs normally. TDC on compression stroke - the Haynes manual shows you how to do it (sort of). If you aren't sure, take it to a Honda dealer, it isn't a long job so shouldn't cost much to do.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

richard

Post by richard »

hi blb,

only way to be certain is to take rear rocker cover off and line the crank pulley mark up on rear tdc marker and check the rear cams are pointing towards each other - do cct - then do maths ( find my post on recent manual cct's post ) to move the front cylinder into the right position

send me a PM with phone number if you need further detail - its quite easy

cheers
richard
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

See pics of my VTR while recently doing the CCT's. These pics are of the front one (actually it sits in the middle of the engine but still known as the front one as it tensions the front cylinder's cam chain!). There is no oil that gets up around with it sitting vertically & high up so it gets nil lubrication except at the initial fitting. It is for that reason that it fails more often than the rear. The rear one does at least get so oil in and around it while in use.

This first view shows the CCT removed. The pic is taken from the left side of the bike with the front to the left (lower area; green gasket material on show is where the CCT goes)

AND
A close-up look 'down the hole' where the front CCT presses on the shiny section to tension the cam chain!

And here is a view of the rear cam box removed. The rear CCT can just be seen to the right of the rear cam wheel (slightly below, cylindrical and with a shiny bolt showing in the end of it) and the front one hides under the rubber pipe!

Good Luck ! :wink:
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Alan, welcome aboard :!: :D

Not only does the cylinder you are working on need to be at TDC it also has to be on the compression stroke, before you start removing the CCT's (cam chain tensioners)

Cheers,

Chris.
dookie

Post by dookie »

Will try and type you up the whole process as per haynes maunual tomorow m8.
There was a time i used to care
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

To be honest I was very nervous about doing mine, but in the end a slow and thorough approach (checking everything at least twice as I went) and it was quite simple.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

dookie wrote:Will try and type you up the whole process as per haynes maunual tomorow m8.
No need for you to go to all that trouble Dookie :!:
I already have an how-too in easy to understand terms, IMO I think they are, I put it together with a little help from Pete.L.

So if Alan you would like to have a go at doing the job yourself :?: I'll post them up :!:

Chris.
bluelightningbolt

hi squiffythewombat, stratman, lotusevenman, dookie, richard and sirch345.

thanks for all your help and sorry for delay in responce.

am going to have a go myself and like the sound of your "how-too" chris (sirch345). would be great if you could post it or e-mail it which ever is easiest.

would be nice to get it sorted before weather improves.

will keep you posted as to how its going.

many thanks.

alan
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

bluelightningbolt wrote:hi squiffythewombat, stratman, lotusevenman, dookie, richard and sirch345.

thanks for all your help and sorry for delay in responce.

am going to have a go myself and like the sound of your "how-too" chris (sirch345). would be great if you could post it or e-mail it which ever is easiest.

would be nice to get it sorted before weather improves.

will keep you posted as to how its going.

many thanks.

alan
Hi Alan,

I've posted my "how to" as a "sticky" at the top of this section "workshop"
which I've been meaning to do for sometime, it's just that you've kicked me into action to actually do it :!: :lol:

Cheers,

Chris.
bluelightningbolt

Hi Chris

Just to say big thanks for posting how-too=cct, looks like exactly what I need.

Am still waiting for tensioners, ordered them from David Silver spares but seems to be some sort of delay.

Will let you know how it goes when they arrive

regards

Alan