Just Fitted a Pipercross and have a small problem??

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
thetyrant

Just Fitted a Pipercross and have a small problem??

Post by thetyrant »

Hi,
Just fitted a Pipercross air filter, went straight in no problems....original filter was very full of crud!
Re-assemble and take bike out for a spin....nice intake noise and a little stronger pull....all as planned :D.... Now i come to some bends......slow down and tip it into a tight right....powers out nice and smooth no problems there :).....then into a tight left.....start to wind open throttle but bike hesitates??...once back upright pulls away no problem? what couldd this be??...seems to happen mostly on left handers about 3-5k and when im mid lean ish and further over ...help what could this be ???

Just had tank & air filter back off and gone over all hoses etc to make sure i havent trapped or dislodged something....looked fine just gona go out and do some testing but im not confident im not gona be that lucky...any ideas.....do i need to rejet for the filter ?

Ian
Cumbria - It may be quiet but it has some of the best roads in the world :-)

98 VTR1000 Firestorm in Yellow - Micron Race carbon cans, Ohlins shock, Revolution Fork upgrade.....
94 Mitsubishi Evo2 - 2.3stroker @ 1.8 bar, 400bhp & 420 Ft/lbs..eeek
thetyrant

Post by thetyrant »

Been out doing some more testing.....im pretty sure its not just a corner thing....its just on gentle throttle openings which seems to cause the hesitation, obviously this is mostly when cornering... as im no Valentino rear wheel steering god ...yet :D

So gona try standard (airline cleaned) filter tonight and see what transpires....looks like filter is throwing jetting out by quite a bit to cause this problem...anyone else on race cans & pipercross with standard jets etc ??

Ian

98 VTR1000 Firestorm in Yellow - Micron Race carbon cans, Ohlins shock, Revolution Fork upgrade.....
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

mate get it on the dyno, it's probably a combination of more air less fuel, needles too low etc.

Del.
thetyrant

Post by thetyrant »

Cheers Del, pretty sure thats the case as ive now refitted cleaned out standard air filter and bike has never run so well :D...i did balance the carbs while trying to sort the Pipercross problem ( they were quite a bit out nearly 2 marks on the mercury guages..eeek) runs sweet now :)

Off down to Rogers at Revloution at the weekend for the famous Fork tune so will be picking his brains see what he thinks, cant really afford a lot of dyno time as im supposed to be going to spain in a few weeks and the Evo Insurance is up for renewal next week and thats looking like the wrong side of £800 blown ...eeek again !

Cheers

Ian

jonacol

Post by jonacol »

Try a small shim/washer (0.5mm) under the needle circlip(s). Fitted a pipercross to mine and had similar symptoms, was much better after adding a shim, total shim stack thickness on mine is now 1.2mm, its not perfect but lots better, can't be bothered to try any more combos of shims. What did Roger say then?
thetyrant

Post by thetyrant »

Jonacol,
I was going try that method as it worked on my old RVF but was recommended by Roger that its wasnt ideal due to the Storms weird needle taper....after he ran it up on Dyno he sugested a Dynojet kit...i got one from PDQ and i put it in with all settings as per instructions..but not that much better....hmm..off back to Rogers to run it back on dyno to try and pinpoint problem..suggests liftin needle more and going to 190's....did that and is now just about spot on...going to get it back on dyno soon to fine tune it...maybe go down to 185's