Starting problem - Part 2

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Actually
If you can shoe horn an 18amp hour battery in there it would sort all the starting problems even in the cold. It would have a greater discharge capacity and make the starter motor go like an olympic runner instead of it's usual geriatric wheeze
It's not the volts it's the current that counts when checking a battery :wink:

Pete.l
KarlosVTR

Post by KarlosVTR »

hi there,

did you free up the brushes when you re built the starter motor at all?

mine were stuck and did exactly as you described.

also there is a piece of metal linking the main electric feed bolt to the brush holder.

take a look at that by chance? mine fell off so i soldered a qtr of a washer to it.

nothing fazes the starter now :twisted:
BIG STEVE

Post by BIG STEVE »

Hi all,
I have serviced the starter as best i know how with my (now apparent) limited electrical knowledge. Good clean up of all parts, replaced the buggerd positive connection bolt for a shiny new s/steel one.
Thats about all i could do, there were tests in the haynes but to be honest i wasnt confident enough to perform them :?

The battery my mate has "aquired" is a 12 A/hr but he says its bigger than the standard one (taller) based on my descriptions.

I only need it for final confirmation that its the battery i need to sort, before i part with my £££££ but its looking good for a new one me thinks.

Any recomends for makes / types of battery, i know the damn thing will be on the omtimate as soon as my ass is off the seat when i get home from now on.

And hopefully the rectumfrier mod will help with charging and not overcharging.

We will see, keep you informed as it unfolds..... :D

BIG Steve
sh1t HAPPENS !!!
BIG STEVE

Post by BIG STEVE »

Hi all and welcome to the next thrilling instalment .......
After testing with a loaned new battery, i find i still have "issues" with my non starting storm...BUUTTTT i think i have finaly nailed it :D

After much cussing and spanner throwing, it looks like the starter idle gear is fiddler (see it wasnt the battery....lol)

When the starter spins up, the rear cog is spinning but the front one aint ....until the starter slows a bit (with old battery) and then there is enough friction left between the big & little cog that it grips and throws the flywheel round.... but not now i have tested it so often that its clearly spinning seperately.

Soooooo.....i contact Mr honda and asked for a price ????? £126.67 inc VAT......i dont kin think so 8O 8O
Did a breaker enquiry.....and ?? Dah Dah !! :D £15.65 all in, in the post as we speak.

Glad it appears to be an end to the mystery but jeez what a ball ache trying to solve.
Strange though, the amount of satisfaction you get in the end when previously you could have screamed with frustration eh ??

Dont want to jump up and down just yet but.....Hoooray :D :D (slightly stifled)

Steve
sh1t HAPPENS !!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Fingers crossed Steve :!: :D
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

So what was the outcome then Steve :?: :?: :?:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Are you about Steve :?: Interested in outcome :wink:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I've finally heard from Steve (BIG STEVE)

He felt bad about not replying to my PM a bit sooner, but I was just pleased too hear the outcome, so better late than never :D

This is what he said:-
It was the starter idle gear...it is a friction fit part and the two gears had let go of each other so the starter was turning but not engaging the fly wheel.
Bit of a pain in the elbow realy but hopefully it may have helped someone else who read the post.

Cheers Chris

Steve.

So there you have it, not something I've come across before, but well worth remembering IMO :!:

Chris.
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

if your still looking for electrical info then grab the haynes manual PDF and have a read through the tutorials and troubleshooting section in the rear.
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
Leachy

Re: Starting problem - Part 2

Post by Leachy »

Cheers ty ty ty :) thats what mines doing!! like you say what a pain in the butt!!

if i'd only read this post first!!!

i had a battery reg/rec problem myself and after fitting the R1 r/r mod the problem was eased but not solved, in the end i got hold of a new type of battery and that solved it until this recent starter clutch failiure,

the new battery was a MOTOBATT,they do a VTR equivilant,same dimensions, 14AH and 200 CCA at minus 5 (i have tested so far) and it's bright yellow!! oooooh yea and it has 4 terminals not 2 :clap:
Absolutely Sodding Bloody typical!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Leachy wrote: the new battery was a MOTOBATT,they do a VTR equivilant,same dimensions, 14AH and 200 CCA at minus 5 (i have tested so far) and it's bright yellow!! oooooh yea and it has 4 terminals not 2 :clap:
Dave, I came across them myself sometime ago, but I couldn't find anyone on here who'd actually tried one. So what are these MOTOBATT batteries like :?: how long have you been using one in the Storm :?:
I thought the four terminals could come in handy for any extra's.

Chris.
Leachy

Post by Leachy »

Chris, I've had a MOTTOBATT on for 8 month now and it cured my winter start problem,as you've proberbly read i now have a starter gear problem and it didn't seem as laboured (until starter gear failed) when it was firing up, first time, i didn't even hear the engine turn before it started, 4 terminals are great, now i can isolate alarm, H.I.D and heated grips without interfering with the bike normal running load, one question i've been pondering on, is the higher rate to blame for starter gear failure??..... proberbly not,but it might just be possible.

I did manage to fry one though :redface TBH is was a 20 mile, 25mph protest run (Storm's do NOT like running slowly :lol: ) in future slow runs would be best run with all the lights on!! but after a quick exchange under the batteries warranty all is fine again :thumbup: so in conclusion i'd recommend them, anything that can start a frozen Storm at -5 is cool in my book.

MOTTOBATT part number for VTR equivilent is MBTX12U.
Last edited by Leachy on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

I've got a good PDF with regards to electrical fault finding but have no idea where I can host it from or where I originally downloaded it from :(
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
Leachy

Post by Leachy »

P.D.F's are easily stored/hosted on MSN messager's SKYDRIVE system or Facebook or attach it to e-mail, some on-line photo stores allow small files (such as zip's and pdf's) to be stored :thumbup:
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

Ok, for anyone who wants a pdf on electrical fault finding, pm me your email addy and I'll get it sent out soonest :) Also got a 74 page pdf of everything to do with wiring, aimed at building your own loom if anyone is interested. Again, can't remember where I downloaded it from, but it's not my work so I don't want to publicly host it incase there are any issues with copyright and stuff, though I downloaded them from the net so probably not much of an issue.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!