wheelie...

General Bike chat
bluesman

wheelie...

Post by bluesman »

I heard few times from few guys that their Storms not wheeleing in 2ng gear...well, I just had mishap that proves that Storm can wheelie in 2nd even at some medium speed...

2 days ago I was taking left turn at relatively low speed - about 60-80 kmph I think but it is possible to estimate by gear/rpm more precisely. Had car in parallel lane on my right ( I am in Belgium - driving on other side ). Somehow I decided that I am too lazy to change gear from 2nd to 3rd and when I hit 6500 rpm steal leaning a lot my front wheel went up :( without warning, very steadily - but up. I am not sure how the hell I managed to land front down - bike did violent headshake but by that time I was right up and nothing bad happened except that I almost shat myself. Guy in the car on my right (judging by his face when I was speeding off) was sure I did it deliberately and did show me thumb up...if only he'd seen my face :oops:
Later I tried again and here it is - in 2nd gear front wheel does go up when I hit 6000-6500 rpm with no effort at all. I am 82 kilos of weight, so not tiny load for bike but I did ot move on the seat or anything like it...
If your Storm does not do it in 2nd it means something is may be not tuned right etc. I am not wheelies/stoppies fan, only did those by error but it's kinda nice to know I can.
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Fun isn't it :wink:

Pete.l
KarlosVTR

Post by KarlosVTR »

i would really like to learn to wheelie but only 2 factors are stopping me

1 my own fear of smashing up my livelyhood up

2 a suspected fragile collarbone after a car crash 3 years ago (not me driving)
sparrowlegs

Post by sparrowlegs »

Richie can wheelie his VTR..i can't wheelie mine...his has the different sprockets on tho...s'not fair...but i can do better burnouts lol
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

my storm 1997 is stock engine and filter, Arrows exchausts, standard sprockets and it wheelied like that.... 8O
I spent most money on suspension rather than on engine :wink: and now I am not going to touch engine at all - good enough for me.
Is it because my Storm is "old yellow" and as well known by respectable VTR community those are fastest? :lol:
Bondy

Post by Bondy »

After messing on my Dr (which is so slow its unbelieveable) and lifting it up, i've no doubt the storm will wheelie i just haven't got the balls to try it on that.
To stupid to live to young to die.
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

you mean you also have DR800?
I just bought it few weeks ago, and surely it is way slower than VTR but I did not find it too sluggish comparing to any other dual purpose...thou I did not ride it on highway yet. I noticed that DR800 do not like to be wound up all the way to top RPMs, which then was explained by torque graph for DR800 I found - it goes almost flat until 6000 rpm and then just goes down :lol: that's what I like about it - good to plough fields!
Bondy

Post by Bondy »

Sorry mate i ment Suzuki DR 350, Forgot there was a dr 800 :oops: Tryin to sound reet clever but didnt work
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

sparrowlegs wrote:but i can do better burnouts lol
That's debateable... :D

I'm gonna learn to wheelie mine properly over this summer
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Bondy wrote:Sorry mate i ment Suzuki DR 350, Forgot there was a dr 800 :oops: Tryin to sound reet clever but didnt work
I think DR350 should be really cool as lightweight dual purpose thou...I wanted DR400 but have to carry passenger, so I went for DR Big...
DR800 is not very quick too and heavy as hell but good fun :wink:
trebs

Post by trebs »

Bluesman in Belgium too?

(Gimme a buzz if you're passing Gent.)

Nice to see someone else on here who lives in this dot of a country.

Must admit, I do like a little roll-on wheelie. However, once that low fuel light starts flashing it does get a bit naughty with the front end popping up.
Bondy

Post by Bondy »

The DR isnt bad its great off road although the kick start can be a pain in the butt half way up a hill, the storm rules though especially with the new exhaust. :D
VeetyR

Post by VeetyR »

I have not had my bike long and accidentaly mini wheelied it a couple of times in 1st.......it was unerving the 1st time but the second time i was quite comfy with the feeling of it so i decided to practice a lil bit.(couldnt wheelie my previous bike as wheelbase was too long)

anyway....i have found its a piece of p*ss on the storm......quiet road no visible hazards......pull off in 1st, slide your ass back a couple inches on the seat and then just give the throttle progressive beans with it being fully open at about 4000-4500rpm and the front just lifts gracefully into the air.... back off a bit once up to either maintain it or drop it gently back down and if ya get in trouble apply a bit of back brake(so i have been told in the past but never needed to)...it was nice and easy to control i found and i aint no wheelie expert.

Doing it this way wont b**ger your clutch either and as long as u dont bang it down your head bearings will stay intact.

Its a good feeling i must say :D .....but something to be done in moderation i think. :twisted:
Keep it gutter...Keep it grimey..........one!
sparrowlegs

Post by sparrowlegs »

Kitch..i challege thee to ye oldie burnout comp (not to tyre popping stage tho lol)....you'll have to take Richie on at wheelies tho lol...i still can't do the flippin things :oops:
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

hehehehe Sparra....

I see looping Firestorms a-plenty in Blackburn one evening... 8O
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.