Crash bungs

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
lilnick

Crash bungs

Post by lilnick »

Hey team i am wanting to fit crash bungs/Nylon sliders to my firestorm but don't know where to mount them also I am making them myself but don't know how strong the bolt has to be that holds them to the frame.

Any ideas
I am 23 years old own a black Vtr1000F a custom single pipe, gold chain and geared it down by 3 teeth on the rear.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

In my opinion you'd be best to forget about the crash bungs. They have a habit of doing more damage to the frame than would otherwise happen.

The VTR is so narrow that if you way the bike on it's side then the body work doesn't touch down anyway. Therefore I's recommend you fit flush mounting indicators at the front, mini stalked ones at the rear and get a set of nice carbon/kevlar engine covers for the clutch cover and the alternator cover.

I've ridden off with my disk lock on a couple of times and the only damage the bike got were scratches on the engine cover, exhaust, bar end, mirror tip and a small crack in the fairing where the standard oversized indicator bent up and cracked it.

Al.
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

I've just brought some RG Racing ones. They'll be fitted next week. They are on a long bar that looks like it goes through one of the engine mounting points. They were only £80 - you sure you want to try and make some for that?

When they are fitted I'll take a picture of the fitting point and post here if you like.

Cheers
Wayne
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

Actually, heres a picture on the RG site

And the fitting instructions:

Undo fairing both sides
Gently pull forward
Undo engine bolt
Mark end of engine bar with white paint/ tippex
Put fairing back
Push marked end up against fairing
Repeat for the otherside

Once both sides are marked, remove fairing completely
Pilot drill on centre of marks from inside edge of fairing both sides
Refit fairing, check holes in correct position
Using 16mm tank cutter
Carefully drill holes outside edge inwards.
Take a sharp knife and deburr holes
Take R & G kit
Remove bobbins (8mm Allen key)
Remove the chunkier bar end (22mm spanner)
Slide bar through engine bolt position
The bar end with the 14mm A/F dimension should fit on the recess
of the engine on the Nearside. Refit other end, tighten to recommend
torque (not available from R & G)
Refit fairing
Bar ends should just come through holes
Refit bobbins.
Stormtrooper

CRASH BUNGS

Post by Stormtrooper »

Phew! that sounds a little bit like far to much hard work ??
much better to just make a resolution not to crash !!!
but as the saying goes no pain no gain..
I agree with AL on this one, as i think these things look good & work pretty well on the track ,but they tend to do more frame damage during an off on the road, as they catch kerbs ,drains etc,etc,
but hey they do look good!!
Masu

Crash Bungs.....

Post by Masu »

Greetings from Japan!!

OK guys, I want them, don't try to talk me out of em, a friend crashed his TLS (high-sided out of corner, imagine that) and broke his back (he is on the mend) and his bike went down really hard, but because he had the crash bungs or whatever you want to call them, installed, the damage to his bike is very little.

Got the Silver VTR I was looking at the "TopBlocks" can any of you give me a thumbs up or down on these?

Need them soon, I'm doing a track day on the 17th of Sept. I will also be taking my RMX Motard out for a hoot as well!

Yes I'm new to the VTR, I've always had inline fours (last was an 85 GSXR) I really like the VTR, much better than them TL things IMHO, and them stupid Duc P.E.T bikes.

Well got to fly.

Cheers!
"Not all who wander are lost."
-J. R. R. Tolkien
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Masu (or should that be Stu) :wink:

Post a piccie if you can, you can tell a lot about how effective they'll be just by where and how they're mounted.
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
Masu

crash bung pics

Post by Masu »

I know he has the pics of the bike on photos, but I don't know if he has them in digital format yet. Lying around with a busted back all day you would think he would have time :wink:

I'll see what I can get from him.

It was a wicked high-side, everyone thought the bike would be really badly damaged, it is not.

Cheers!

JS Stu
"Not all who wander are lost."
-J. R. R. Tolkien