Stupid fuel tap

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jstring

Stupid fuel tap

Post by jstring »

This is an embarrasing question but........how can I tell if the fuel tap on my bike is on or off? :oops:

I've just got my firestorm back after a difficult divorce (Note: if you leave your wife / husband, leave WITH your bike!).

Anyhow, it wont start and if I know my firestorm the carbs have bunged up due to it standing with fuel in for 18 months. But did I turn the fuel tap off when I stored it? Buggered if I know! I think that I will have to clean the carbs anyway (since it wont start with the tap in either position) but way is on? the markings on the tap (on my bike at least) are not helpful.

Many thanks in advance.
stuav007

Post by stuav007 »

Howdy...Am not sure about the fuel tap, but i know where your coming from with the divorce though....been apart now for nearly 6 years and still not got any of my stuff back, luckly i didnt have a bike at the time...dont know what i would do without my 2 wheels. :roll:
Beast

Post by Beast »

Is there still old fuel in it?
Take the pipe off and find out. :lol:

Get a spanner, im sure that anti-clockwise will open and clockwise will close it.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Remove one fuel pipe. Remove vacuum pipe and either suck or use a Mitivac to create a vacuum. If the taps on, fuel will flow, if it isn't, then it won't. Try turning tap the other ways and repeat!

After 18 months though, I think you'll have to strip and clean the carbs to get the gunk out, plus the petrol will be fairly naff by now anyway!
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

snipper

Post by snipper »

if its been stood a long time the petrol my have gone stale .... chuck it and put fresh in also :)
jstring

Post by jstring »

Thanks Everyone.

Yeah the petrol will have to go and I will have to have a good clean around but it is the thought of putting it all back together and having this additional issue, of not quite knowing if the fuel is turned on, that worried me. Having one problem is bad enough, two problems at the same time is a pain.

I was thinking of pulling the fuel lines and applying a vacuum until the fuel flowed - as you suggest.

However, I don't have a Mitivac (what is one of those? How much are they?) so I will just have to suck on it I guess. What are my chances of sucking hard enough? Please try to keep your answers clean guys, I realise that I am setting myself up here!!!

So........Does anybody have any experience of succesful sucking without the use of mechanical aids? 8O
stuav007

Post by stuav007 »

My wife to be....could suck a golf ball through 50feet of garden hose if thats a help....let me know i will send her over....lol :P
thumper

Post by thumper »

stuav007 wrote:My wife to be....could suck a golf ball through 50feet of garden hose if thats a help....let me know i will send her over....lol :P
bloody handy that if your golf ball goes in the lake
just because your breathing doesn't mean your alive
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

If that had been my bike after my divorce I'd have been cleaning all the sugar she'd have put into it out of the tank by now!! :evil:

Petrol goes stale within a few weeks so you need to take the tank off and give it a good swill around and lose the old fuel out of the filler. It'll probably have water (not always from rain. Moisure drops soon add up) in there too so a good swill around then upside down etc will work wonders.
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
david greenwood

Garden Hose

Post by david greenwood »

Bloody hell have you got your honeymoon on DVD?? ahahahahahahaha
VeetyR

Post by VeetyR »

ahhhhh "stuff" ..... the legendary items that women insist on keeping hold of when it goes tits up......they must have a "stuff" gene or somit......"stuff" is soo mythical i cant even remember if i actually owned any "stuff" or if it is just a figment of my imagination lol
Keep it gutter...Keep it grimey..........one!
olkno9

Post by olkno9 »

just had my tank off to clean the carbs and to turn fuel on turn tap anti clockwise, clockwise turns it off.
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

I must have been lucky, I just bought my VTR from a mate had it in the lock up for 4 years, poured some fuel in as it seemed empty and it fired up first time. He was having a bit of a clear out and in the back were two immaculate 500 Matchless singles bought by him and his brother new when they were 16 and he still has them (not for sale). He's a bit eccentric collects aero engines mostly radials but does have a RR Merlin though it is the marine version. I keep trying to get him to put a 12 cyl radial in a trike :!:
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.