Brass monkey, New Zealand.

General Bike chat
gcs

Brass monkey, New Zealand.

Post by gcs »

Hi guys, this is our Queens birthday weekend, and the weekend we hold our Brass Monkey m/c rally.
I could only get away for a day trip as I worked on Sat morning, weather was wet and cold.
The rally site is in central Otago, only about 4 hours away from my home
in Southland.
As Ive no mates :cry: :cry: I was going by myself, about an hour into the trip I caught up with two cruisers, as it was a slippery and twisty piece of road I decided to stay behind them as there was a better place to pass further up the road, as we were going around a right hand hairpin a car coming the other way failed to take the corner and wiped out the bike in front of me 8O 8O .
It was one hell of a shock :!: It was only about five meters in front of me.
Anyhow I stoped and ran over to the rider, who was motionless, but alive, which was a great relief, the rider was judith and was very sore so we didnt move her, and after a few minutes the other rider (her husband, Bruce) arrived. Within a few minutes a passerby who was a doctor was there to help, and so she took over.
Ambulance and local vol firebrigade arrived after about 3/4 of an hour and cops arrived after an hour, so my trip was delayed untill after I gave a statement.
The bike, Honda Shadow. a write off,the force turned the bike 180' and stoved in the front.
Judith was very lucky, I think she has bad bruising but I dont think anything was broken.
I had a chat and Bruce got my details, and I carried on to the Brass Monkey. I only had time to have a quick look around before coming home
And believe me I took that corner slowly on the way home.
On the way home the roads dried out, and as night fell, I had a ball, passing cars like nothing was there. :twisted: :twisted:

A bit long this story, but the amount of help strangers were able to give was astounding, not only was there a doctor, but two nurses in seperate vehicles at different times made their services available, covers and blankets just arrived, people did traffic duty.As well as what was going on with us, others helped the driver of the car, who was ok,but shocked.

Anyhoo, thats the story of how I got my tenth BrassMonkey badge.
Craig from the land of the long white cloud. Teal VTR 2001.
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Always horrible to see, GCS. Pray you're not haunted by it in times to come.

Glad you were able to still enjoy the ride afterwards! You'd make a good nurse :wink:
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Not good at all that's for sure :!: Glad too hear that Judith survived the accident :!:

Chris.