low end flutter at running temperature

General Bike chat
Ronald T.

low end flutter at running temperature

Post by Ronald T. »

I have recently purchased a 1998 superhawk and have had some low end flutter or hesitation. I had the carberators sincronized and that helped, but after a few hours of riding the hesitation seems to have returned. Could my carbs be out of sync again or could it be something else. The bike also has a tendency sputter or backfire through the carbs at low speeds when i give it a little throttle. these problems only seem to happen when my bike has reached the half way point on the temperature gauge. I was told this is the nature of the v-twin. I don't know since all that i have owned up till know is inline four cylinders. I love the bike, but i would like to get to the bottom of this problem so can move on to more important issues. like finding a suitable under fender exhaust.......
Ron T.
Newton ma.
United States of America
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

sounds like it's running slightly lean on the pilot jets. Just try turning each screw out 1/2 (half) a turn and see how it runs. They could be out of balance again. I used to do mine every 2k miles and when you do them blip the throttle alot with the gauges still attached as the adjustment screw in held by a spring and has the tendency to settle in a different position once revved.

Del.