First Bike on Scene - first aid course

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

Stormin Ben

First Bike on Scene - first aid course

Post by Stormin Ben »

I've been meaning to go on one of these for ages and the recent happenings have spurred me into action

So lets get a list together of who is interested, which centre they'd attend and when
Possibilities are
Devon & Cornwall - 01305 257643
Lincoln - 01526 869197
London - 0870 2250101
North East - 0191 226 4408
North Wales - 01492 510970
Oxford - 07940 392586
Stafford - 0870 2250101
Yorkshire - 01226 282999

Stormin Ben - Stafford - intermittent weekends in nov, dec
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
waspy

Post by waspy »

I'm interested after what happened at the weekend, the yorkshire one for me.
It's a bad idea to take a sleeping pill & a laxative at the same time !!
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Thanks Ben,

Waspy, this is from the Matlock thread (PM sent):

Well true to my word, have rung FBoS (First Bike on Scene) in Lancs today.

The nearest centre for Yorkshire is in Barnsley.

Spoke to a great guy Dave Edmondson who discussed the whole thing with me.

They aim to have approx 12 people on each course.

Runs from approx 9-5

Costs £60

The next course being run is this Sunday (still a few places left!)

The next after that is planned for December.

Not sure I can make it this Sunday but am deffo going to get on one. If I can arrange it then will be going this weekend though.

Perhaps we could arrange with him to have a FireStormUK one for those of us in this part of the world - if there's enough interest?

His contact details are:

Dave Edmondson

01226 282999

Anyone interested in this or future courses can ring him on mobile preferably or even just text him your name number and that you'd like informing of dates for future courses and he'll let you know.

I've asked him to e-mail me details of the few other centres round UK as well with the intention of creating a 'sticky' post.

Graeme.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Just spoke to Dave.

Provisional date for the next course, in Barnsley, is the 25th of November.

He's got my details and is going to call back in the next day or 2. I will be attending that one if it goes ahead.
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

25th Nov is a Sunday, and I'm off.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Hi,

We're booked for the 25th November.

(me and the wife).

Cheers,

Graeme.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Good stuff Graeme :)

I'll see you there if I dont see you before.

Quite looking forward to it!

John :)
RedStormV

Post by RedStormV »

Me too in an odd sort of way.

I think it's the fact that at the end of it, should I ever come across another accident, Gods forbid, I won't feel quite as inadequate as I did last Sunday.

I'm not sure it was exactly inadequate though, perhaps that and a bit of fear that a lack of knowledge might do something to make the casualty worse!

Possibly a hope that someone else knows what to do better than you or I?

Had he been a diver with a bend then I'd have known what to do cos I've covered stuff like that and CPR etc - although the 'right' way to do that changes from time to time, what I was taught a few years ago, isn't the method that's taught now!

Had our lass been with us, she'd have known what to do about the injuries, airway etc, perhaps not the helmet though, as she's one of the certified first aiders at the school where she works.

Whether to apply a tourniquet or not, how and where to apply it, and more importantly, how often to release it and for how long etc, she'd have known.

So for all these reasons and probably more - I'm looking forward to it, even though I hope I never have to use any of it in anger!

What we need is more of the VTR brotherhood (and sisterhood :roll: ) to fill the courses around the country when ever and where ever they may be.

Come on people, no excuses, get signed up!

Ben / Admins, can we make this a sticky please?

Graeme.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Know exactly where youre coming from.

Sundays events have made me reflect on things quite a bit...

Glad Ian is on the mend. I hope this course will give the opportunity, should something of that magnitude (hope not :cry:) happen again.

Good shout on the sticky Graeme.

JP.
sparrowlegs

Post by sparrowlegs »

I ve already done a fist bike on scene course thru st Johns ambulance.....i just keep praying that i never need to use it..its a skill that i am glad to have but i still hope to never be in the situation that i have to apply the skills.
But the day after i did the course ,me and the short legged one where out on the bikes going up to Devils bridge and we came across a Ducati in the road and a biker staggering about....he'd gone round the corner and slid the bike under a car going in the opposite direction, luckily the rider was ok apart from a whacking headache,but i hung around keeping my eye on the bloke incase he got worse before the Ambulance came.
I felt that i could have helped if he did get worse...so the course is worthwhile doing...good on you lot for going out there and getting training
Caz xxxxxxxxx
ps i'm the beanpole in the red n black jacket and leathers with red sliders on lol
waspy

Post by waspy »

oh b**%%x !!! I can't do november 25th as I've got to through to my home town, a big family get together. I'll have to see when the next one is
It's a bad idea to take a sleeping pill & a laxative at the same time !!