Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

lloydie

Re: OP Storm Wales 2021 10th 11th 12th September

Post by lloydie »

Have a great weekend and stay safe guys
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Jamoi wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:35 am Forgive me, for I have sinned...

Looks like I'll be on the KTM this weekend.

I took the day off yesterday to work on the Storm with a view to getting it MOT'd at the end of the day. But, as with most well laid plans - everything I touched went wrong Image

I rebuilt the forks last week and got them bolted back into the bike, but then noticed a nice shiny copper washer in a bag on the work bench. Damn, I must have missed one on the fork lowers. Can't see the washers when installed, so picked a fork leg at random and pulled it apart... despite enlisting the help of my significant other, the loctite on the hex bolt in the fork lower was doing a great job of stopping the damn bolt undoing! So, drilled it out. OH LOOK A COPPER WASHER Image

Off to the bolt shop for a new bolt. Then thoroughly clean and rebuild the fork leg.

On to the next fork leg, this must be the one with the missing washer, drain the oil. Lovely, the bolt came out with a bit of a tug on the fork lower. OH LOOK A SECOND COPPER WASHER ImageImage

So there must have been 3 copper washers in the bag in the fork rebuild kit - which led me to believe I must have missed one, as I had one left over.

Oh well, re fitted the bolt and washer. Then topped up the fork oil and just as I was setting the air gap, my fork stand collapsed! Ejecting fresh 5w all over the garage floor AND my Rc8 including the tyres...

After a mass clean up operation and heading out to buy more fork oil, I had about 1 hour left before the booked MOT slot.

In summary, the Storm is in exactly the same state of readiness as it was before I took the day off to get it ready...

I still need to change the chain and sprockets, re fit the forks, change front wheel bearings, oil and filter, change front brake reservoir and flush fluids then brake pads... then get the fairings on, set the suspension up yadda yadda yadda.

So close, yet so far Image

Look out for a bright orange KTM on Fri
is that just to get the sympathy vote so you dont get banned for owning a storm but not bringing it to a meeting..... it worked, but I did laugh :lol:
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Some days sellers can't even please their customers by giving a free spare washer away.

( I would have done the same, though)
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

there is usually more KTMs than Storms at the weekend rides these days, but for once I am not guilty, the 1190 will stay at home to give the Storm a chance to stretch its legs (while at the same time having the opposite effect on my legs :lol: )
AMcQ
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Have a great weekend all and stay safe.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

tony.mon wrote:Some days sellers can't even please their customers by giving a free spare washer away.

I'm currently hunting down "Terry" from All Ballz bearing and seals, where apparently all Terry has to do is; clock-in to the "Honda Firestorm fork seal service kit factory" on a Fri morning and start putting x2 copper washers into bags...

I will find you Terry, I will find you and you will pay for this.

Jamie :wave:
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

AMCQ46 wrote:there is usually more KTMs than Storms at the weekend rides these days, but for once I am not guilty, the 1190 will stay at home to give the Storm a chance to stretch its legs (while at the same time having the opposite effect on my legs Image )
Awesome, I'm looking forward to seeing a plume of black smoke followed by a 2 wheeled banana disappear up the road on the back wheel... again Image

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Jamoi wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:57 pm
tony.mon wrote:Some days sellers can't even please their customers by giving a free spare washer away.

I'm currently hunting down "Terry" from All Ballz bearing and seals, where apparently all Terry has to do is; clock-in to the "Honda Firestorm fork seal service kit factory" on a Fri morning and start putting x2 copper washers into bags...

You had a terrible time.

But not as terrible as the person who only has one copper washer, because you, you greedy bar steward, had his other one, and now he can't go shopping on his bike, and his wife has no potatoes left for dinner.

I hope you can live with yourself.
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

tony.mon wrote:
Jamoi wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:57 pm

You had a terrible time.

But not as terrible as the person who only has one copper washer, because you, you greedy bar steward, had his other one, and now he can't go shopping on his bike, and his wife has no potatoes left for dinner.

I hope you can live with yourself.
ImageImage

Perhaps Terry rides to the factory on his Firestorm and due to his lack of attentive washer counting has diddled himself out of a full bag of x2 copper washers... thus restoring karma and equilibrium across the galaxy.

Maybe, just knowing Terry has only x1 copper washer on his forks is enough to stop my nationwide man hunt.

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Terry may be a washer woman. It's one of those ambiguous names like "Kim" or "Leslie" where the wearer has no idea which way to dress.
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

tony.mon wrote:Terry may be a washer woman. It's one of those ambiguous names like "Kim" or "Leslie" where the wearer has no idea which way to dress.
You forgot to add Tony/ Toni to the list ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Duffy1964 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:40 am
tony.mon wrote:Terry may be a washer woman. It's one of those ambiguous names like "Kim" or "Leslie" where the wearer has no idea which way to dress.
You forgot to add Tony/ Toni to the list ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and Duffy ...... I remember a female singer called Duffy :lol:
AMcQ
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Have a great weekend lads and bring them all home safe :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Well, that was a bit different!
I was back marker for the "progressive" group, but ended up going slower than the pottering about taking pics and having coffee group.
Turned it into a positive, though- I got the chance to look at the gorgeous views and scenery. Normally all I see is turn-in points, braking points and apexes- and Alastair disappearing round the next corner.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Got soaked on the way up,

Threw Nue Red off a Valley road.

Made it rideable with an allen key & zip ties.

Despite the minor off which could have been much worse as the bike slid on to a soft patch of Wales without hitting any of the rocks laying about. & only went about 20foot down when the valley floor was about a 1000 ft further down.

Gutted cos its now damaged.

Got very pished toasting Wicky, Norman & Benny.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=44905

The usual banter which had us in stiches at times.

Great weekend, great freinds, great place.
Last edited by MacV2 on Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...