VTR track bike conversion

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

gilson

Re: VTR track bike conversion

Post by gilson »

I had a good day, well morning, at Bedford Autodrome.

Sound check was passed with ease with the Remus end cans (those from the 50th anniversary VTR). They were 93Db! Yes, take that mister sound man! And made the bike smoother and less vibey. Perfect.

Bedford is a very enjoyable track with a couple of chicanes, which I really enjoy. They made me feel like a proper racer transferring weight peg to peg. A long straight, damn R1s, and a couple of sweeping knee down bends too.

There are things to consider though. It's not set up like a race track with only a small number of garages. If you are not in the advanced group then you'll be based on the Heli pad which means no electricity or shelter. Both useful when the heavens open. I had a generator but no shelter. Mental note, it's basic, so prepare well.

Otherwise, I didn't fall off and loved riding my bike. Huzzah!

The forks were recently serviced and felt lovely and pliable. The addition of the billet yoke probably helped but with the fork service I don't have the skills to separate the two. But the bike turned in just by thought alone and it was stable in the corners too. I felt very confident riding it which is the main thing for me.

The best mod was of course the lighten flywheel. After reading about it I was concerned that it was going to be too revvy, but it wasn't. It was undoubtedly noticeable accelerating more quickly than standard in every gear but particularly 2-4 as this is where I spent most of my time. At one time I eased off expecting my bike to slow via engine breaking but it didn't as quickly as I was expecting and had to break harder to compensate. This is just my opinion and could have been me going faster than I thought because of the flywheel. It was brilliant and made the Storm even more fun and more competitive, even in my hands. It actually reminded me of riding a mates Tuono which felt similarly easier to rev.

Thank you @Fabiostar, it is a great mod, probably the best possible without going into some proper engine tuning.

Does anyone have a spare set of wheels, preferably complete? I need some rain tyres.

A great day.

How was yours at Brands, Mac?
No bike (yet).
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It was me at Brands today, not Mac.
My evening session wasn't as enjoyable or as good as yours, it rained hard and the promised thunder and lightning made an entry.
The track was wet throughout. Wet enough that they suspended sessions for half an hour due to streams running across the track.

But my home made baffle worked well enough, just under 100dB- I'll post up a pic when I remove it.
The limit was 102 for the session, so all good.

But less good were my tyres. I had realised that I wasn't going to be able to leave the Supercorsa SP's on, so got a pair of Diablo Rosso iv's on. But I only got them partially scrubbed in, as it was wet every day since they were fitted on Friday.

It turns out it's difficult to scrub in road rubber on a wet and green track..... After three rear tyre slides in three laps on the only real lefthander (short circuit), I called it a day while the bike was still in one piece. Duffy came to offer support- thanks matey- and I got home between downpours despite more looming black clouds.

When I got home I found that I still had it set to the hardest track setting for the leccy suspension, perhaps I should have softened them off a bit. I had the traction control on maximum but still got slides. I'm not blaming the tyres, the conditions were pants, and there was no way of getting any warmth at all into the carcase.

So even after being out for three sessions it still has huge chicken strips, bigger on the left than the right.

If it rains next weekend as well I'm getting the belt sander out.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
gilson

Post by gilson »

Sorry Tony, I meant you, just wrote Mac instead.

Well done for staying upright, we had a few offs at Bedford.

We've already had the entire average rain fall for May in the first two weeks.
No bike (yet).
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

tony.mon wrote:It was me at Brands today, not Mac.
My evening session wasn't as enjoyable or as good as yours, it rained hard and the promised thunder and lightning made an entry.
The track was wet throughout. Wet enough that they suspended sessions for half an hour due to streams running across the track.

But my home made baffle worked well enough, just under 100dB- I'll post up a pic when I remove it.

But less good were my tyres. I had realised that I wasn't going to be able to leave the Supercorsa SP's on, so got a pair of Diablo Rosso iv's on. But I only got them partially scrubbed in, as it was wet every day since they were fitted on Friday.

It turns out it's difficult to scrub in road rubber on a wet and green track..... After three rear tyre slides in three laps on the only real lefthander (short circuit), I called it a day while the bike was still in one piece. Duffy came to offer support- thanks matey- and I got home between downpours despite more looming black clouds.

When I got home I found that I still had it set to the hardest track setting for the leccy suspension, perhaps I should have softened them off a bit. I had the traction control on maximum but still got slides. I'm not blaming the tyres, the conditions were pants, and there was no way of getting any warmth at all into the carcase.

So even after being out for three sessions it still has huge chicken strips, bigger on the left than the right.

Good to catch up with you today TonyImage
Shame rain spoiled play it was wetter than an otters pocket Image
🦦

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Hi Tony, the traction control only works by modulating torque to the rear wheel, throttle opening and ignition timing. On a closed throttle it can't have any effect at all and on a neutral throttle the effect is negligible, the forces on the tyre are mainly lateral. That's why mine went down coasting around a corner on a brand new tyre.

The nannies on the Tuono are wonderful but you have to give them something to work with. I've really changed my riding style with this bike on the road. I'm now far more point and squirt. Harder braking and acceleration with less apex corner speed, all for the same overall progress. Not so pretty though.

I know Brands well, having crashed there more than once. You are a braver man than me.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Yeah the rain was pant's...

I very nearly highsided it on the kitchen lino carrying me dinner out, when me socks lost grip on the 90* left into the lounge...

Saved it with me elbow agains't the door jamb...

Monday eve's can be a bit boring... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

MacV2 wrote:Yeah the rain was pant's...

I very nearly highsided it on the kitchen lino carrying me dinner out, when me socks lost grip on the 90* left into the lounge...

I recommend you get a pair of Totes socks far better grip on lino with better tread depth ImageImageImageImage

Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:56 am Yeah the rain was pant's...

:lol: :clap:
Duffy1964 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:17 am
MacV2 wrote:Yeah the rain was pant's...

I recommend you get a pair of Totes socks far better grip on lino with better tread depth ImageImageImageImage

:lol: :clap:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

gilson wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:35 pm I had a good day, well morning, at Bedford Autodrome.

Sound check was passed with ease with the Remus end cans (those from the 50th anniversary VTR). They were 93Db! Yes, take that mister sound man! And made the bike smoother and less vibey. Perfect.

Bedford is a very enjoyable track with a couple of chicanes, which I really enjoy. They made me feel like a proper racer transferring weight peg to peg. A long straight, damn R1s, and a couple of sweeping knee down bends too.

There are things to consider though. It's not set up like a race track with only a small number of garages. If you are not in the advanced group then you'll be based on the Heli pad which means no electricity or shelter. Both useful when the heavens open. I had a generator but no shelter. Mental note, it's basic, so prepare well.

The forks were recently serviced and felt lovely and pliable. The addition of the billet yoke probably helped but with the fork service I don't have the skills to separate the two. But the bike turned in just by thought alone and it was stable in the corners too. I felt very confident riding it which is the main thing for me.

The best mod was of course the lighten flywheel. After reading about it I was concerned that it was going to be too revvy, but it wasn't. It was undoubtedly noticeable accelerating more quickly than standard in every gear but particularly 2-4 as this is where I spent most of my time. At one time I eased off expecting my bike to slow via engine breaking but it didn't as quickly as I was expecting and had to break harder to compensate. This is just my opinion and could have been me going faster than I thought because of the flywheel. It was brilliant and made the Storm even more fun and more competitive, even in my hands. It actually reminded me of riding a mates Tuono which felt similarly easier to rev.

Thank you @Fabiostar, it is a great mod, probably the best possible without going into some proper engine tuning.

Does anyone have a spare set of wheels, preferably complete? I need some rain tyres.

A great day.

Gilson, I'm pleased to hear it went better than last time 8)

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:11 pm It was me at Brands today, not Mac.

Unlucky with the weather Tony. At least you stayed on :thumbup:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yes, rubber side down this time, unlike the last track day I did, at Cadwell. There was a thunderstorm then, too, thinking about it!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:02 pm Yes, rubber side down this time, unlike the last track day I did, at Cadwell. There was a thunderstorm then, too, thinking about it!
It sounds like a bit of a theme going on there Tony :problem: :wink: :)

Fingers crossed next track day is better,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

gilson wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:35 pm I had a good day, well morning, at Bedford Autodrome.

A great day.

happy days sir glad you enjoyed the flywheel :thumbup: :thumbup: what you felt about the engine braking was infact you arriving at the corners faster as the lightened flywheels actually increase engine braking so you must have been going faster than you thought :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
gilson

Post by gilson »

fabiostar wrote:

A great day.

happy days sir glad you enjoyed the flywheel Image Image what you felt about the engine braking was infact you arriving at the corners faster as the lightened flywheels actually increase engine braking so you must have been going faster than you thought Image Image
It's funny how you get used to something. I felt like I had to upgrade my front brake, which I did. Thanks for a great mod.
No bike (yet).
gilson

Post by gilson »

For those of you who ride track days in the UK, have you ever been formally scrutinised?

I'm thinking of removing my back brake as I never use it and am unlikely too, so I could save a kilo or two.

However a racer friend of mine says that if my bike is ever scrutinised it would fail and my day would be over.

What are your thoughts?
No bike (yet).