VTR track bike conversion

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

tony.mon

Re: VTR track bike conversion

Post by tony.mon »

I wonder if they count brush guards as enough?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
gilson

Post by gilson »

Kev L wrote:
Jamoi wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:47 pm Hi Gilson, R.E: brake lever guard...

A trackday requirement now, although not sure I've ever heard of someone actually coming off due to brake lever contact! But, I'm sure it happens.

I've just fitted an "RRC" brake lever guard, purchased via eBay. I think he's a Brit, just making a few bits on a small scale.

It's much cheaper than Rizoma, gilles, R&G etc, but imo just as good quality.

I went for the CNC with the solid tip, bolts straight into my KTM clipon with an expanding wedge type fitting.

Hope that helps anyway!

Pictured below (short lever now swapped to a long lever!!) Image
Snetterton track day motorcyclist Barry Pritchard 'died doing what he loved'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-56168067
Oh dear...
No bike (yet).
gilson

Post by gilson »

tony.mon wrote:I wonder if they count brush guards as enough?
I'd say thet offer more protection.
No bike (yet).
gilson

Post by gilson »

Jamoi wrote:Hi Gilson, R.E: brake lever guard...

A trackday requirement now, although not sure I've ever heard of someone actually coming off due to brake lever contact! But, I'm sure it happens.

I've just fitted an "RRC" brake lever guard, purchased via eBay. I think he's a Brit, just making a few bits on a small scale.

It's much cheaper than Rizoma, gilles, R&G etc, but imo just as good quality.

I went for the CNC with the solid tip, bolts straight into my KTM clipon with an expanding wedge type fitting.

Hope that helps anyway!

Pictured below (short lever now swapped to a long lever!!) Image
Thank you.
No bike (yet).
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Kev L wrote: Snetterton track day motorcyclist Barry Pritchard 'died doing what he loved'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-56168067

That's really sad man.
Jamie :wave:
gilson

Post by gilson »

I did a search for slipper clutches and this company will sell me one.

https://www.moto-vision.com/en/clutch/4 ... 97-03.html

They have confirmed it will take 3 weeks for their supplier to restock.

Sigma state the firestorm Slippers are out of production.

I was under the impression that they are not made anymore.

What are your thoughts chaps? Is it reasonable to assume this is legit?
No bike (yet).
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

gilson wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:44 pm I did a search for slipper clutches and this company will sell me one.

https://www.moto-vision.com/en/clutch/4 ... 97-03.html

They have confirmed it will take 3 weeks for their supplier to restock.

Sigma state the firestorm Slippers are out of production.

I was under the impression that they are not made anymore.

What are your thoughts chaps? Is it reasonable to assume this is legit?
It took me ages but I eventually found a Sigma one second hand. I nearly bought a TSS one in the meantime but procrastinated so much they sold out. Sigma are indeed out of production for the Storm and they have no spares, been down that road.

There's a company in the States who make them and they are very similar to the Sigma - Yoyodyne https://www.yoyodyneti.com/product-p/t19303.htm
gilson

Post by gilson »

Thanks very much Nick. I'm just procrastinating at the moment.

I want to have a track day with it pretty much standard, just lightened a little, then add fabio's flywheel, then perhaps a slipper. My wife used to go to the states a few times a year, but that's unlikely for a while.

Thanks for replying, I was thinking I'd asking you directly on your other post but didnt want to bother you.
No bike (yet).
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You can probably still get an SP1 or SP2 clutch from Sigma, then all you need to do is modify the storm clutch cover to take the SP style clutch cover.
It's much better anyway, the clutch cover on an SP has a porthole style cover on the case so it's easy to pull off and make any clutch changes easily and quickly, without having to disturb the water pump.
gilson

Post by gilson »

tony.mon wrote:You can probably still get an SP1 or SP2 clutch from Sigma, then all you need to do is modify the storm clutch cover to take the SP style clutch cover.
It's much better anyway, the clutch cover on an SP has a porthole style cover on the case so it's easy to pull off and make any clutch changes easily and quickly, without having to disturb the water pump.
Hi Tony, You can get an SP slipper but that's about all I understood from your post Image.

I'm nervous about going in the other side and changing the flywheel! I can follow a Haynes manual but don't have any skills to "make things fit". Some of the skills shown on this forum are astounding to me. Now that I have a bike again, I've no excuses not to learn.

Cheers!

No bike (yet).
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

This is what I meant. The SP2 clutch cover is split into two pieces, so in order to access the clutch you only have to pull off the circular cover, instead of the whole clutch cover and water pump.
PXL_20210327_113723001.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20210327_113850313.jpg
So if you cut the base from an old Storm one and welded on the SP outer section you could access the clutch more easily- plus you could fit the larger SP clutch.
And no, the oil level isn't low, it's on the sidestand so you don't need to drain the oil, or risk drips of coolant dripping into the sump as you remove it or reassemble.
gilson

Post by gilson »

tony.mon wrote:This is what I meant. The SP2 clutch cover is split into two pieces, so in order to access the clutch you only have to pull off the circular cover, instead of the whole clutch cover and water pump.
PXL_20210327_113723001.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20210327_113850313.jpg
So if you cut the base from an old Storm one and welded on the SP outer section you could access the clutch more easily- plus you could fit the larger SP clutch.
And no, the oil level isn't low, it's on the sidestand so you don't need to drain the oil, or risk drips of coolant dripping into the sump as you remove it or reassemble.
I understand, thank you. I seem to remember the Stage 3 bike having a separate bolted on clutch cover, probably for easy access for the reason you mentioned.

Thanks for taking the time to post that. I will keep this on memory.
No bike (yet).
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

gilson wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:28 pm
tony.mon wrote:This is what I meant. The SP2 clutch cover is split into two pieces, so in order to access the clutch you only have to pull off the circular cover, instead of the whole clutch cover and water pump.
PXL_20210327_113723001.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20210327_113850313.jpg
I understand, thank you. I seem to remember the Stage 3 bike having a separate bolted on clutch cover, probably for easy access for the reason you mentioned.

your right the stage 3 had a separate cover at least from the pictures iv seen of it, i believe the new owner of said bike is on here and could confirm, there is a guy on the facebook groups who has made one that was selling it a while back but not sure if he is on here? il try and find his name as its slipped my memory just atm :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
gilson

Post by gilson »

fabiostar wrote:
gilson wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:28 pm
PXL_20210327_113723001.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20210327_113850313.jpg

your right the stage 3 had a separate cover at least from the pictures iv seen of it, i believe the new owner of said bike is on here and could confirm, there is a guy on the facebook groups who has made one that was selling it a while back but not sure if he is on here? il try and find his name as its slipped my memory just atm Image
Thanks Fabiostar.
No bike (yet).
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

gilson wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:24 pm Thanks very much Nick. I'm just procrastinating at the moment.

I want to have a track day with it pretty much standard, just lightened a little, then add fabio's flywheel, then perhaps a slipper. My wife used to go to the states a few times a year, but that's unlikely for a while.

Thanks for replying, I was thinking I'd asking you directly on your other post but didnt want to bother you.
Well if you ever need something shipped from the states....just ask, it's no problem :beer:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.