VTR track bike conversion

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

gilson

Re: VTR track bike conversion

Post by gilson »

AMCQ46 wrote:loving the single colour wiring ... that will be fun to fault find Image

but that yoke is damn sexy Image
I didn't notice that. I'll question my man.

I'm looking forward to getting out on it and travelling more than one corner this time.

His also asking his friend who is an exhaust maker to fix, repack and potentially fit a proper baffle to reduce sound to under 100 dbs.

I feel that I've really hit the bullseye with this chap.

He's talked me out of a slipper clutch as it seems like it requires regular adjustment, which I can't be bothered with.

I'm still considering a lightened flywheel. When I told him that I was considering a lighten flywheel he didn't understand what I meant as he said that a flywheel is attached to the crank and would require machining and balancing etc.

He knew what I meant eventually but is there another name for this lightened wheel?

Cheers chaps.
No bike (yet).
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I have always called it a flywheel. I've just checked on Ron Ayres site for Honda parts, it's flywheel.

8541 had his lightened flywheel checked for balance:
viewtopic.php?p=457310#p457310

Chris.
gilson

Post by gilson »

sirch345 wrote:I have always called it a flywheel. I've just checked on Ron Ayres site for Honda parts, it's flywheel.

8541 had his lightened flywheel checked for balance:
viewtopic.php?p=457310#p457310

Chris.
Cool. When he replaces it for me he'll know exactly what it is.

I'll send him that link. He's such a good guy.
No bike (yet).
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Fabiostar is your man for a lightened flywheel.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
gilson

Post by gilson »

alanfjones1411 wrote:Fabiostar is your man for a lightened flywheel.
Thanks Alan, he is the main man.
No bike (yet).
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Fabio has a range of options for flywheels.
His gnatwheel is the best choice, the aphidwheel is fun but the engine revs so fast it's bouncing off the limiter before you can get the clutch out.
You'll never go back to Honda's standard bluebottlewheel after you've tried it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
gilson

Post by gilson »

Funny but I'm detecting a decent amount of truth in there.

The reason why I like the VTR so much is that I like the fact I don't have to change gear as there's torque available to pull me out of the corner. My first track day was on a zxr750 IL4 and I was never in the right gear. When I swapped to the VTR I didn't need to change gear, third for all corners and it made it very easy and a lot of fun.

Now would a lighten flywheel make me change gear more and give the impression that there's less torque?
No bike (yet).
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

No, it feels fine. It's easy to swap back if you didn't like it, then sell the lightened one on, so it will cost you nothing to try it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
gilson

Post by gilson »

tony.mon wrote:No, it feels fine. It's easy to swap back if you didn't like it, then sell the lightened one on, so it will cost you nothing to try it.
Thank you Tony, your opinion is valued.

I've messaged Rob.
No bike (yet).
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Just seen this thread. Great to see you are giving the old girl some love. (Colour non-coded wires due to having only red in the required size, and I'm lazy).

New tyres can be amazingly slippery. Having fitted a new rear to my V4 a week previously, not ridden the bike and forgotten about it, I went 80 metres from my place to a T junction and promptly binned it. Very embarrassing.

Have fun!
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

KermitLeFrog wrote:Just seen this thread. Great to see you are giving the old girl some love. (Colour non-coded wires due to having only red in the required size, and I'm lazy).

New tyres can be amazingly slippery. Having fitted a new rear to my V4 a week previously, not ridden the bike and forgotten about it, I went 80 metres from my place to a T junction and promptly binned it. Very embarrassing.

Have fun!
Oh no!
Much damage? You okay other than some bruised pride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
gilson

Post by gilson »

KermitLeFrog wrote:Just seen this thread. Great to see you are giving the old girl some love. (Colour non-coded wires due to having only red in the required size, and I'm lazy).

Have fun!
Thanks Ian, I hope you are OK.

Loving the old girl thank you. Bedford autdrome next month will hopefully be a good ride for us both.
No bike (yet).
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Pete.L wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:03 am

Have fun!
Oh no!

Almost none. Scratches on the bar end, sidestand, paddock stand bobbin and the crash bung. The removable shift lever peg was, erm, removed and replaced with another one.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Phew!
Glad it’s not too bad Ian.
Those silly little drops can be costly sometimes

My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:28 am
Pete.L wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:03 am

Have fun!
Oh no!

Almost none. Scratches on the bar end, sidestand, paddock stand bobbin and the crash bung. The removable shift lever peg was, erm, removed and replaced with another one.
I'm glad it's not any worse, although that sounds bad enough. Hope you're okay,

Chris.