New to the group

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
AMCQ46

Re: New to the group

Post by AMCQ46 »

if you are doing the stopper, you lock the CCT in its working position (with a small adjustment as described in instructions), and recommend putting a bit of tape over the locking tool, as it has a tendency to fall out when you are trying to get the CCT out of the engine bay, and you lose the setting!

then you can measure the extension of the CCT plunger before stripping it down for the stopper.

as for Aprilia front ends ......... much recommended follow the link

viewtopic.php?p=454627#p454627
AMcQ
gilson

Post by gilson »

Nothing is frowned upon here, I was joking (OK, maybe not about hurting the Moriwaki but...) :) . You have already been fully accepted because of all the modifications you have done. Pictures are of course mandatory.

No bike (yet).
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Welcome along!

Stopper mod = good

Cutting up Mori exhausts = bad

Choose your path wisely young padawan
Jamie :wave:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

JCR wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:55 am Great thanks for that buddy really appreciate it! Just one other question though I won’t mention the single side swing arm and moriwaki exhaust ( though I love my single side swinger 😂😉) Anyway going back to that one other question, if I use the locking key when removing the tensioners as described in the manual and that allows the plunger to retract won’t retracting the plunger in this way make it so I can’t determine the length for the stopper mod? Do I have to there for remove the tensioners with out retracting first? By the way is a complete Aprilia front end, eg inverted forks and brembo calipers frowned upon on here too 😂🥴😉
Before you remove the CCT on the front or rear cylinder you need to set the valve timing first (as described in this link:- viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8326 ).

Just to make it clear, you need to follow my instructions in the link I supplied, not the manual when you come to removing the CCT's for carrying out The Stopper Mod. You are right though in what you are thinking in your question above (which I have highlighted in Red)
Here it is again:- viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19416

Some one mentioned about a ratchet in some CCT's. There is no ratchet in the Firestorm/Superhawk OEM CCT's. As I understand it a CCT with a built in ratchet cannot back off in the event of a CCT spring failure. A Firestorm/Superhawk CCT will back off if/when a spring fails (breaks) allowing the pistons to come into contact with the valves, bending them.

Chris.
JCR

Post by JCR »

AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:38 pm if you are doing the stopper, you lock the CCT in its working position (with a small adjustment as described in instructions), and recommend putting a bit of tape over the locking tool, as it has a tendency to fall out when you are trying to get the CCT out of the engine bay, and you lose the setting!

then you can measure the extension of the CCT plunger before stripping it down for the stopper.

as for Aprilia front ends ......... much recommended follow the link

viewtopic.php?p=454627#p454627
Thanks so much for all your help buddy, the small adjustment as described in the instructions you Just mentioned, sorry to be thick here but is that an adjustment that differs from how the manual recommends to lock and remove the tensioners so that the working position is retained? Sorry to be a pain with so many questions, Just want to be sure I get it right first time! Lol
The v4 aprilia forks look great bud, I’ve got early 2003 Mille forks on mine with the brembo’s from the same bike so not as cool as your set up that’s for sure!
JCR

Post by JCR »

gilson wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:12 pm Nothing is frowned upon here, I was joking (OK, maybe not about hurting the Moriwaki but...) :) . You have already been fully accepted because of all the modifications you have done. Pictures are of course mandatory.
To be honest the swing arm and the forks were on the bike when I brought it but the bike was a bit scruffy like it had been ridden through a couple of winters with little in the way of cleaning by the previous owner and it had some odd parts on it like a standard 1200 bandit can for the silencer which apart from looking like a howitzer it was too quiet and restrictive! The whole bike looked too much like vfr 800 to me but i thought it had a lot of potential for improvement so I went a head and brought it and since then I’ve basically tidied the bike up by repainting and polishing parts with some of my own mods along the way. The first being to ditch the bandit can and make up a new mount to fit a Scorpion titanium one, a new carbon hugger, carbon front mud guard, polished the swing arm etc, But Now working on new mods like the fitting of the moriwaki system as I want to go back to twin cans as I prefer the look of two cans so have just fabricated and welded on some new mounts on a spare sub frame ready to take the twin system as I want to change the position that the moriwaki’s would Normally sit to clear the single side arm but also to move them higher up in the same position that the current single silencer is. I’m also doing some custom paint work and some minor alterations to the tail unit to clear the new exhaust mounts. I’ve just resprayed the rads and am now painting the cam covers and have just purchased a new set of samco hoses so it’s a work in progress.
The single side swing arm conversion has been done differently to how I’ve seen it done by others on the super hawk forums by altering the shock itself rather than moving it so far side ways that ends up putting it right in the way of the rear cylinder exhaust header but it has made it so you can’t fit any other shock so I plan to do some alterations there but it does make the exhaust system much neater than the ones I’ve seen on other forums and exits up high on the right rather than the left and looks so much better in my humble opinion than other single side conversions I’ve seen. I’m also now in the middle of painting an early vfr 8 spoke wheel to replace the 5 spoke and lots of other little touches in the pipe line but some will have to wait till next winter as I have too many other projects on the go plus I want the bike back on the road soon lol. I can post a pic or two but not sussed out how to do it on here yet lol.
JCR

Post by JCR »

:lol:
Jamoi wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:47 pm Welcome along!

Stopper mod = good

Cutting up Mori exhausts = bad

Choose your path wisely young padawan Image
:lol: :lol: :lol:
JCR

Post by JCR »

alanfjones1411 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:07 am There are many on here that have different makes of front end on their bikes.I had a Ducati 916 front end on mine with 320mm full floating discs and Brembo brakes.I sold it to Mac.I think Amq has Aprillia front end and Fabio has a zx7 front end.
Cool, sounds good buddy, lots of interesting bikes always creates a great pool of knowledge which makes these forums so helpful.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

JCR wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:23 am
Thanks so much for all your help buddy, the small adjustment as described in the instructions you Just mentioned, sorry to be thick here but is that an adjustment that differs from how the manual recommends to lock and remove the tensioners so that the working position is retained? Sorry to be a pain with so many questions, Just want to be sure I get it right first time! Lol
The v4 aprilia forks look great bud, I’ve got early 2003 Mille forks on mine with the brembo’s from the same bike so not as cool as your set up that’s for sure!
the instructions I talk about are the 2nd link that Sirch345 posted in his reply. once you read that it should make sense.... when I say small adjustments from the working position it is teh items marked in yellow below...... but you should follow the link and read the full process.

(2) I made up a copy of the Honda locking key, details from the Haynes workshop manual. Using the key turn the worm in the rear CCT clockwise 1/4 of a turn and lock off, then remove CCT. On the front CCT turn the worm clockwise 1/2 a turn and lock off, then remove the CCT.
(The difference of 1/4 turn for the rear and 1/2 a turn for the front CCT is due to the fact that one CCT tightens up and the other slackens off when in use. So basically I've allowed 1/4 of a turn free play, allowing for expanding/shrinking of the different metals etc as they get hot when in use.)
AMcQ
JCR

Post by JCR »

sirch345 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:43 pm
JCR wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:55 am Great thanks for that buddy really appreciate it! Just one other question though I won’t mention the single side swing arm and moriwaki exhaust ( though I love my single side swinger 😂😉) Anyway going back to that one other question, if I use the locking key when removing the tensioners as described in the manual and that allows the plunger to retract won’t retracting the plunger in this way make it so I can’t determine the length for the stopper mod? Do I have to there for remove the tensioners with out retracting first? By the way is a complete Aprilia front end, eg inverted forks and brembo calipers frowned upon on here too 😂🥴😉
Before you remove the CCT on the front or rear cylinder you need to set the valve timing first (as described in this link:- viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8326 ).

Just to make it clear, you need to follow my instructions in the link I supplied, not the manual when you come to removing the CCT's for carrying out The Stopper Mod. You are right though in what you are thinking in your question above (which I have highlighted in Red)

Some one mentioned about a ratchet in some CCT's. There is no ratchet in the Firestorm/Superhawk OEM CCT's. As I understand it a CCT with a built in ratchet cannot back off in the event of a CCT spring failure. A Firestorm/Superhawk CCT will back off if/when a spring fails (breaks) allowing the pistons to come into contact with the valves, bending them.

Chris.
Thanks Chris that’s cleared everything up for me now, no more questions, I hear everyone breath a sigh of relief 😂
Jon
JCR

Post by JCR »

AMCQ46 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:55 pm
the instructions I talk about are the 2nd link that Sirch345 posted in his reply. once you read that it should make sense.... when I say small adjustments from the working position it is teh items marked in yellow below...... but you should follow the link and read the full process.

(2) I made up a copy of the Honda locking key, details from the Haynes workshop manual. Using the key turn the worm in the rear CCT clockwise 1/4 of a turn and lock off, then remove CCT. On the front CCT turn the worm clockwise 1/2 a turn and lock off, then remove the CCT.
(The difference of 1/4 turn for the rear and 1/2 a turn for the front CCT is due to the fact that one CCT tightens up and the other slackens off when in use. So basically I've allowed 1/4 of a turn free play, allowing for expanding/shrinking of the different metals etc as they get hot when in use.)

Thanks buddy yeah got it all now, really grateful for all the help from you guys! I’ll look forward when done to telling the next person who points to my OEM tensioners when I’m out on the bike ( which seems to happen regularly) and says you need get rid of those mate and fit manual ones! Ahhh but 😂
JCR

Post by JCR »

AMCQ46 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:55 pm

Thanks so much for all your help no more questions now 😂 I hear you breath a sigh of relief 😂
Cheers buddy!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

JCR wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:37 am
sirch345 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:43 pm

Chris.
Thanks Chris that’s cleared everything up for me now, no more questions, I hear everyone breath a sigh of relief 😂
Jon
It's always better to ask if you are unsure about something, rather than wish you had asked,

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

sirch345 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:59 pm It's always better to ask if you are unsure about something, rather than wish you had asked,

Chris.
Unless you are talking to the wife. In which case it's always best to ask forgiveness rather than ask for permission. :D
Works for me or I'd never have any new bike bits :wink:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Pete.L wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:51 am
sirch345 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:59 pm It's always better to ask if you are unsure about something, rather than wish you had asked,

Chris.
Unless you are talking to the wife. In which case it's always best to ask forgiveness rather than ask for permission. :D
Works for me or I'd never have any new bike bits :wink:
Ain’t that the truth .same here . Or have them sent to a different address