New to the group

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
JCR

New to the group

Post by JCR »

Hi guys thanks for letting me join the group! Been meaning to ask to join for a while as I brought my storm just over a year ago which has now increased my bike ownership to seven bikes in the garage and I’m running out of room but i couldn’t resist this storm when I saw it on line at the beginning of last year as I’ve been wanting one for some time now.
Anyway the bikes a 97 and only had just over 15’000 on it when I brought it but I notched it up to 17,000 last summer so I thought it was high time I checked the valve clearances of which I’m in the process of doing now but while I’m at it I decided to stick a new set of cam chain tensioners on at the same time. After listening to different opinions of various people I decided to purchase a brand new set of OEM ccts which I thought would give me some peace of mind but after reading some posts on here I’m not so sure but still not that keen on the idea of manual tensioners and after shelling out 140 quid for new OEMs I’m not keen to just chuck em away and then I came across some threads on here about mods you can do to the OEM cct’s that gives you the best of both worlds. It seems these posts where quite old here but I’m wondering if anyone could give me the low down on this mod and exactly how to do it? Any help would be gratefully appreciated!
Many thanks JC
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: New to the group

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard JC :thumbup:

Here's the link on how to do The Stopper Mod:-
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19416

Chris.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum. :wave: Do stopper mod and if they do let go at least the engine will be saved
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
ODB

Post by ODB »

There's always room for bikes. Do what I've done. Mine are in the conservatory. Lot better than wicker sofa's to sit on 😂
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club

:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
gilson

Post by gilson »

Welcome!

Well researched. Plenty of very experienced and helpful people here.
No bike (yet).
JCR

Post by JCR »

Thanks guys much appreciated, always good to chat with like mined enthusiast and thanks for the link on the stopper mods I’ll give it a look. JC
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Stopper mod is the one I use on any engines I work on. instructions are pretty good on the thread, but if you think you are getting out of your depth, pop a post on here and one of us will send you a mobile contact number to talk you through it.
AMcQ
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along sir :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
JCR

Post by JCR »

Great thanks once again guys! Can’t quite make out how I reply to an individual on here rather than collectively in a post if you know what I mean but thanks Amcq46 for your help buddy with regards to the stopper mod! Going back to this I’m gathering that the OEM ccts need to of been in use on the bike to determine the length of the 8mm OD stopper as I’m presuming the ccts have a ratchet mechanism to take up the slack rather than just the spring keeping tension on the chain? Not actually looked into exactly how they work yet lol. I changed one on my 600 hornet and I’m sure it’s the exactly the same tensioner as used on the storm. Also going by the drawing I’m guessing the stopper goes inside of the tensioner once the end piece that goes against the chain guide has been removed?
Was going to ask another question of you guys regarding up jetting. I’ve recently purchased a full moriwaki titanium exhaust system to go on the bike but I need to modify it first to clear the single side swing arm for the left can before I can use it but I’ve also brought a k&n filter to go on at the same time as the exhaust and I know it’s going to require some jet changes to run right and probably a bit of dyno time but can any of you guys recommend what size jets and needles etc I would probably need plus which are the best Jetting kits to use or can I get what’s needed from a Honda dealer like David silvers? Thanks once again guys for all your help!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

JCR wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:25 am Great thanks once again guys! Can’t quite make out how I reply to an individual on here rather than collectively in a post if you know what I mean but thanks Amcq46 for your help buddy with regards to the stopper mod! Going back to this I’m gathering that the OEM ccts need to of been in use on the bike to determine the length of the 8mm OD stopper as I’m presuming the ccts have a ratchet mechanism to take up the slack rather than just the spring keeping tension on the chain? Not actually looked into exactly how they work yet lol. I changed one on my 600 hornet and I’m sure it’s the exactly the same tensioner as used on the storm. Also going by the drawing I’m guessing the stopper goes inside of the tensioner once the end piece that goes against the chain guide has been removed?
for the quote/reply to the individual (like above) just hit the (") symbol in the top right hand of the thread.

for the stopper mod question. yes you are right, you need to have the CCTs in the engine first to allow you to measure how far out the plunger is sitting when it has the cam chain under the correct tension. and you need to do theis for both front & rear CCT. then you strip the CCT down and work out what size oof internal stopper will hold teh CCT at the required position if the spring fails.

I dont think it is a ratchet mechanism inside the CCT, it is just a leadscrew under spring tension. but the friction (backdrive efficency) of the leadscrew is such that you cant move it by forcing the plunder back in. (but if the spring fails, the vibration will cause the plunger to move back in) . so to this is why you use a little screw driver (or the honda locking tool) to rotate the leadscrew to retract the plunger.

i know you have some new CCTs you just bought, so you have the option to do the stopper mod on the ones already in the engine and sell the new ones, or do the stopper on the new ones and send the old ones to @bazza696 on this forum so he can modify them to manuals.
if it was my own bike I would be 90% sure the plunger measurements can be taken off the CCTs that are in the bike already and I wouldn't need to fit the new CCTs just to measure and remove.

Note that the new CCTs will be missing a pressed steel cup that sits over the end of the plunder, you need to remove that from the ones that are currently in the engine before you change them over.
AMcQ
gilson

Post by gilson »

JCR wrote:Great thanks once again guys! Can’t quite make out how I reply to an individual on here rather than collectively in a post if you know what I mean but thanks Amcq46 for your help buddy with regards to the stopper mod! Going back to this I’m gathering that the OEM ccts need to of been in use on the bike to determine the length of the 8mm OD stopper as I’m presuming the ccts have a ratchet mechanism to take up the slack rather than just the spring keeping tension on the chain? Not actually looked into exactly how they work yet lol. I changed one on my 600 hornet and I’m sure it’s the exactly the same tensioner as used on the storm. Also going by the drawing I’m guessing the stopper goes inside of the tensioner once the end piece that goes against the chain guide has been removed?
Was going to ask another question of you guys regarding up jetting. I’ve recently purchased a full moriwaki titanium exhaust system to go on the bike but I need to modify it first to clear the single side swing arm for the left can before I can use it but I’ve also brought a k&n filter to go on at the same time as the exhaust and I know it’s going to require some jet changes to run right and probably a bit of dyno time but can any of you guys recommend what size jets and needles etc I would probably need plus which are the best Jetting kits to use or can I get what’s needed from a Honda dealer like David silvers? Thanks once again guys for all your help!
Modifying a full system Ti Moriwaki exhaust is a crime, especially for a SSSwing arm. We do not speak of such things on here.
No bike (yet).
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

gilson wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:29 pm
JCR wrote:Great thanks once again guys! Can’t quite make out how I reply to an individual on here rather than collectively in a post if you know what I mean but thanks Amcq46 for your help buddy with regards to the stopper mod! Going back to this I’m gathering that the OEM ccts need to of been in use on the bike to determine the length of the 8mm OD stopper as I’m presuming the ccts have a ratchet mechanism to take up the slack rather than just the spring keeping tension on the chain? Not actually looked into exactly how they work yet lol. I changed one on my 600 hornet and I’m sure it’s the exactly the same tensioner as used on the storm. Also going by the drawing I’m guessing the stopper goes inside of the tensioner once the end piece that goes against the chain guide has been removed?
Modifying a full system Ti Moriwaki exhaust is a crime, especially for a SSSwing arm. We do not speak of such things on here.
LOL
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
JCR

Post by JCR »

:roll: :D
AMCQ46 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:33 pm [quote=JCR post_id=490182 time=<a href="tel:1616577949">1616577949</a> user_id=15702]
Great thanks once again guys! Can’t quite make out how I reply to an individual on here rather than collectively in a post if you know what I mean but thanks Amcq46 for your help buddy with regards to the stopper mod! Going back to this I’m gathering that the OEM ccts need to of been in use on the bike to determine the length of the 8mm OD stopper as I’m presuming the ccts have a ratchet mechanism to take up the slack rather than just the spring keeping tension on the chain? Not actually looked into exactly how they work yet lol. I changed one on my 600 hornet and I’m sure it’s the exactly the same tensioner as used on the storm. Also going by the drawing I’m guessing the stopper goes inside of the tensioner once the end piece that goes against the chain guide has been removed?
for the quote/reply to the individual (like above) just hit the (") symbol in the top right hand of the thread.

for the stopper mod question. yes you are right, you need to have the CCTs in the engine first to allow you to measure how far out the plunger is sitting when it has the cam chain under the correct tension. and you need to do theis for both front & rear CCT. then you strip the CCT down and work out what size oof internal stopper will hold teh CCT at the required position if the spring fails.

I dont think it is a ratchet mechanism inside the CCT, it is just a leadscrew under spring tension. but the friction (backdrive efficency) of the leadscrew is such that you cant move it by forcing the plunder back in. (but if the spring fails, the vibration will cause the plunger to move back in) . so to this is why you use a little screw driver (or the honda locking tool) to rotate the leadscrew to retract the plunger.

i know you have some new CCTs you just bought, so you have the option to do the stopper mod on the ones already in the engine and sell the new ones, or do the stopper on the new ones and send the old ones to @bazza696 on this forum so he can modify them to manuals.
if it was my own bike I would be 90% sure the plunger measurements can be taken off the CCTs that are in the bike already and I wouldn't need to fit the new CCTs just to measure and remove.

Note that the new CCTs will be missing a pressed steel cup that sits over the end of the plunder, you need to remove that from the ones that are currently in the engine before you change them over.
[/quote]
gilson wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:29 pm
Great thanks for that buddy really appreciate it! Just one other question though I won’t mention the single side swing arm and moriwaki exhaust ( though I love my single side swinger 😂😉) Anyway going back to that one other question, if I use the locking key when removing the tensioners as described in the manual and that allows the plunger to retract won’t retracting the plunger in this way make it so I can’t determine the length for the stopper mod? Do I have to there for remove the tensioners with out retracting first? By the way is a complete Aprilia front end, eg inverted forks and brembo calipers frowned upon on here too 😂🥴😉
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

There are many on here that have different makes of front end on their bikes.I had a Ducati 916 front end on mine with 320mm full floating discs and Brembo brakes.I sold it to Mac.I think Amq has Aprillia front end and Fabio has a zx7 front end.
Last edited by alanfjones1411 on Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN