Hopefully soon to be a VTR owner in Holland

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
IanB

Hopefully soon to be a VTR owner in Holland

Post by IanB »

Hi all,

I'm returning to biking after a long time away. I had a couple of 500/4's when they were still new technology, a hideous first generation Z1000, various other bikes too. Hobbies include machining (I am lucky enough to have a reasonably well equipped workshop) and driving my excavator. I live in Friesland, a Northern province of Holland.

A question that I hope soem here can help me with; I am considering the following bike: https://www.motoroccasion.nl/motoren/ho ... 75122.html Condition looks good, and it's in the colour that I want.

The advert says it's 2004, and the specs (Techniek) listed are indeed for a late bike - 110BHP, 19 liter tank. What worries me is that it doesn't have the digital readout on the instrument cluster taht I thought came in as of 2001, and (I believe) later bikes had the top yoke painted black. Are there any other signs from the pics that this isn't a 2004 bike, maybe more like a 1998 or so? I'll try to see the bike tomorrow and I'll ask the dealer directly, but it'd be great to have something solid to go on.

Many thanks,

Ian
Ian
All of the gear, no idea...
VTR_FIN

Re: Hopefully soon to be a VTR owner in Holland

Post by VTR_FIN »

Hi,

you can decode vin number if available, model year is digits 9 & 10.

Pekka
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Post 2001 F2/3/4 etc had the Honda wing decal on the tank and firestorm on the fairing, as you say the different clocks with the fuel gauge rather than the red light fuel warning. Some markets gained the 19l tank but not all, and the paint, shade of yellow, changed. That looks like a 97 onward bike from the images.
Nice looking bike though.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

like others have said, I dont think its the 19l tank model, the logos on the tank plus the clocks say its the 1st gen 16l tank version.

but thats no bad thing, its the same colour and generation as mine :thumbup:
AMcQ
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

AMCQ46 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:37 pm like others have said, I dont think its the 19l tank model, the logos on the tank plus the clocks say its the 1st gen 16l tank version.

Just a few mods behind !!!! :wink:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
IanB

Post by IanB »

Thanks all,

It kinda confirms my suspicions, I'll check the VIN on the chassis. If it does turn out to be late 90's, I at least have a good justification to haggle the price down!

I believe the post 2001 model had 10bhp more - is it noticeable, and would it be a big/expensive job to get those horsies?

It does indeed look nice in the pics 😀

Ian
Ian
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The power output was the same for all models, but some markets (France for example) had restrictors the kept them under the 100bhp limit.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:37 pm like others have said, I dont think its the 19l tank model, the logos on the tank plus the clocks say its the 1st gen 16l tank version.

I agree, it certainly appears to be the earlier version,

Chris.

PS. Welcome aboard Ian :thumbup:
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

IanB wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:28 pm Thanks all,

I believe the post 2001 model had 10bhp more - is it noticeable, and would it be a big/expensive job to get those horsies?
In the US they lost 5HP and no it is not easy to pick up 5HP on these bikes-and to get 10HP is a lot of work...... :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
IanB

Post by IanB »

Well - I went to see it. They were vague about how it was that the obvious date of manufacture was nowhere near the "age"of the bike. I noted the VIN: JH2SC36D3VV000238. The V in the 10th position would indicate that it's a 1997 bike, 7 years adrift from what they claim (and what the Dutch registration document shows). I checked the government registration site (now that I have the registration number) - it states the bike was an import - possibly from Germany, it doesn't say. It was first registered in Holland in 2004, after being imported secondhand from somewhere.

So 1997, 54,500Km, not a bargain at E2450. I had a good look around - it was in generally good shape, but had been dropped on the right hand side - cracked fairing, scuffed mirror. Also, the fairing was a distinctly lighter shade of yellow than the front mudguard. Camchain adjusters were stock, as was almost everything else. A bit of pitting higher up on teh forks at the front, not serious. OIl cooler looked ok, couple of bent fins.

That's all being picky - it looked like a generally solid bike, and I'm sure someone will be very happy with it. I didn't test ride it; it was on the 2nd floor, and would need a battery in it. I'll let them keep it - I've found another one, 1999, 20,000Km, yellow, also fairly close by. This one's going for E2190, the pics look good and they say it's in fine shape.

One thing that had been concerning me was saddle height. I'm not the tallest in the world (5'7"on an optimistic day), but the bike didn't feel too high. About 1" off getting feet flat down both sides. When I get one, I'll raise the forks a bit, fit a longer suspension link, maybe reupholster the seats and get some thicker soled boots - all small amounts that should do the job.

The handlebars did seem like a stretch - lower and further away than I'd like. There are enough solutions to move them - 3" backwards and a little bit higher will make enough difference I think.

What also struck me about the VTR was the weight - it felt nowhere near as much as a lump as some others in the showroom. It was more comparable to a 675 triple than any of the 1 liter 4 cylinder bikes they had. Nice.

The search continues...

Ian
Ian
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Ian, two points to beware of when looking over a possible Firestorm/Superhawk purchase.

One thing that sometimes gets over looked is the maintenance of the rear shock linkage. I'm not saying the bike you are going to look at is going to be as bad as the one in the link below. However if you push down on the seat while holding the bike upright you should not hear any squeaks from the rear suspension as the bike moves down then back up if it has been serviced regularly.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11809

Also pay attention to the front header pipe retaining studs and nuts at the cylinder head joint. If they are very rusty they may need work to remove and replace should you ever need to remove the exhaust system.

Good luck,

Chris.
IanB

Post by IanB »

Thanks Chris,

I did check the front (and rear) exhaust flange nuts - they both seemed ok. I generally looked around where the front wheel spatter zone was - the terminal on the starter motor was pretty well rotted, rust flaked off it so I guess it would have been a starter motor rebuild (the bolts were ok). In the good old days, bikes had mudflaps :D

I have read that the front engine mount bolt seizes in place - apart from checking for excess corrosion, there's not much I can reasonably do to check this in the showroom unfortunately.

Good point on the rear linkage though, I didn't inspect this (I'm perfectly happy rolling around on the floor to get under a bike!). I'll be adding a longer link to the rear to drop the saddle a little, so that area will come in for attention. But a check when buying is certainly a good idea. That photo is nasty!

I go to see / test the next one on Monday...

Ian
Ian
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

IanB wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:58 am Thanks Chris,

I did check the front (and rear) exhaust flange nuts - they both seemed ok. I generally looked around where the front wheel spatter zone was - the terminal on the starter motor was pretty well rotted, rust flaked off it so I guess it would have been a starter motor rebuild (the bolts were ok). In the good old days, bikes had mudflaps :D

I have read that the front engine mount bolt seizes in place - apart from checking for excess corrosion, there's not much I can reasonably do to check this in the showroom unfortunately.

Good point on the rear linkage though, I didn't inspect this (I'm perfectly happy rolling around on the floor to get under a bike!). I'll be adding a longer link to the rear to drop the saddle a little, so that area will come in for attention. But a check when buying is certainly a good idea. That photo is nasty!

I go to see / test the next one on Monday...

Ian
:lol: mudflaps I like it, I remember them well :D

I think the heat from the headers may have something to do with the grease in the shock linkage etc. As long as you remember to regularly service that lot you should be fine.

It seems as you're pretty much on it, you've done your homework, well done :thumbup:

Wishing you well for Monday :)

Chris.
IanB

Post by IanB »

Well, I went out and bought a nice helmet today, so it'd be silly not to get a bike to go with it. Now looking for 2 piece leathers that'll hopefully disguise my coronakilos 😳.

I hope the weather plays ball on Monday, looking forward to the test ride. I'm expecting the bike to be stock, so jobs like manual cct's, a mosfet regulator etc will be on the to do list. Assuming I get it, an end to end clean will get me familiar with all the bits and should show most faults. Then a service, oil & filters won't hurt.

Ian
Ian
IanB

Post by IanB »

Just a couple of quick questions:

The bike shop I visited had 2 Firestorms in stock. I'd seen someone saying that they could only pull the choke knob out about 1/4". I tried both bikes, the knobs felt sort of mushy (I'd expected a nice click), travel was maybe 10mm. Is this normal? Or is it a sign of a common problem? Knowing the bikes have huge carbs, I was expecting a far longer travel.

The fuel valve (petcock). Now, I'm used to little levers you turn for off, main and reserve. These seem to have been replaced by vacuum units. I can see the appeal of that, but if the carb bowls are empty, how do you fill them? Keep cranking, hope that this gives enough vacuum to open the petcock and let enough fuel dribble through, or is there a manual override to open the petcock? Does the bike have a reserve setting, and how do I activate this?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but bikes have changed somewhat since I last owned them...
Ian