Brother's old Superchicken

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Ericthenorse

Brother's old Superchicken

Post by Ericthenorse »

So... My brother offered me his old '98 Superhawk the other day... This is it when we got it off the truck...
1.jpg
Got some rattle can paint and started prettying her up.... 3 coats of base, and 7 coats of clear wet sanded and polished....
2.jpg
3.jpg
Had a crash a few years ago, and the front fairing was replaced with a "race" one piece fiberglass...
7.jpg
Still have to finish the tank.....
4.jpg
From there, I was just going to throw some new tires on it and ride..... So, naturally, I bought a new front end and wheels.... CBR954 front forks, LSL top triple with bar conversion, and rc51 front wheel carefully re bearinged and spaced to work in the fork.
20200630_1236531.jpg
And matching(ish) cbr900rr rear wheel....
20200630_1355101.jpg
Ericthenorse

Re: Brother's old Superchicken

Post by Ericthenorse »

Which brings me to where we are today.....
666.jpg
20200712_160644.jpg
20200712_155012.jpg
I got the RC wheels in anticipation of a full RC suspension swap. Only reason I have the 954 front end on, is I wanted the lower triple, and the forks came with them.... :D

Now that I actually have the SP1 fork tubes, I can start the front...
rc.jpg
Then, I get to install this beauty.... RC51 rear swingarm that has been modified to fit the Superhawk.... Shortened, SH pivots welded on, and clearenced for shock.
IMG_3185.jpg
IMG_3187.jpg
IMG_3192.jpg
IMG_3195.jpg
Ericthenorse

Post by Ericthenorse »

Had to do something.... So I added a front fender from an Aprilia... Much cleaner look than the stock options.... Even came in red.....
fender.jpg
I am going to spend the evening attempting to sew together a cover for my "Sunshine" seat..... Got some red and black "carbon Look" marine vinyl....
20200719_182948.jpg
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

All looking good.
In all fairness I have to admire your efforts, I couldn't even darn a pair of socks let alone upholster a seat πŸ‘πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Ericthenorse

Post by Ericthenorse »

Court is still in session as to whether I can....
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Great time sequence, Eric. Mine is also a '98, and I am continually amazed at the joy we can get from these 'old' relics.

Even though you've done more work on yours than Kim Kardashian's Botox clinic, it still resembles the 'original'. :thumbup:
Ericthenorse

Post by Ericthenorse »

I am a tinkerer.... I prefer the relics.... I am all about the project, and making it my own. This is actually the second newest bike I have owned.. Had an '04 XB12s.... Awesome bike.... Too expensive to tinker on.... I went through a cb350 phase, but got tired of them, and moved on to cb900f...

Just picked up this beauty to add to the parts list... Minty Fox Double Clicker... It is from an early Ninja 600 (zx6r) but is the right length, and stroke. Just need to change out the bottom eye. Friend says he might have one for me.. :D Also know a guy with quite a selection of used springs.. I am going to borrow a few to try to figure out the right rate...
zx7 shock 2.jpg
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

"It is from an early Ninja 600 (zx6r) but is the right length, and stroke"

VTR Shock Length 346mm, ZX6R (03-04) 340mm (+12/-0)

VTR Shock stroke 60mm, ZX6R (03-04) 72.5mm

https://www.customfighters.com/forums/s ... hp?t=12827

Looks like length can be made the same - just the different stroke length.

My aftermarket shock was originally for a Suzuki GSXR750 and came my way via being used in a Fireblade - Had it rebuilt to suit the VTR.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Top work. πŸ˜‚πŸ‘πŸ‘
Ericthenorse

Post by Ericthenorse »

It is the exact same body and stroke as what they sold for the VTR. Only difference is spring rate, and lower mount.... Just picked up a junk cbr shock to rob parts from. It has the right bottom eye...
cbr 600f2  91 94.jpg
I hope between the two, I can get it right....
zx6 bottomm.png
zx6 bottomm.png (190.04 KiB) Viewed 3412 times
cbr bottom.png
cbr bottom.png (403.48 KiB) Viewed 3412 times
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Great build Eric!
I've never seen a RC51 Swinger fitted to a Super Hawk before. Most people said it couldn't be done and was too much effort.
Kudos to you for proving them wrong :thumbup:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Ericthenorse

Post by Ericthenorse »

There are a few guys over on the Superhawkforum.com that have done it.. Most are full length, and have cut off the shock mount, and welded the superhawk mount on. It is mostly a game of spacers to get it to fit, then you have to come up with a different solution for foot pegs.

This one was shortened, and since theSuperhawk pivot points are used, I can keep my foot pegs.... Can't waitto get it on... But I think I should swap out the pivot bearings first...Kind of Chunky..
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Fair play Eric, you know your stuff. Me I am just and nut twiddler and a very occasional polisher. Enjoying your post
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Richard wrote: ↑Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:11 pm . . . Me I am just and nut twiddler and a very occasional polisher. . .
Wow! I am the exact opposite!!
Attachments
motorcycle-cleaner.jpg
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

nigelrb wrote: ↑Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:56 pm
Richard wrote: ↑Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:11 pm . . . Me I am just and nut twiddler and a very occasional polisher. . .
Wow! I am the exact opposite!!
You go careful now. All that polish weights extra and the wax decreases aerodynamic slowing it down. Worse on black as they absorb heat, swell creating a larger profile and therefore the extra mass is a significant factor in slowing them down πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜·πŸ‘πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚