Shock linkage service

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
8541Hawk

Shock linkage service

Post by 8541Hawk »

The time has finally come.....lol

Getting ready to do a bearing change on my shock linkage. As it is one job I haven't done before I figured I would ask you guys if there was anything to look out for even though it does look pretty straight forward.

Not that I am having any issue with the linkage on the bike, it is just they are still the O.E. bearings.
So after 23yrs of service I figured it was time for a new set. 8)
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
MacV2

Re: Shock linkage service

Post by MacV2 »

8541Hawk wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:20 pm The time has finally come.....lol

Getting ready to do a bearing change on my shock linkage. As it is one job I haven't done before I figured I would ask you guys if there was anything to look out for even though it does look pretty straight forward.

Not that I am having any issue with the linkage on the bike, it is just they are still the O.E. bearings.
So after 23yrs of service I figured it was time for a new set. 8)
Done a few of these Mike. As long as it strips down ok, take the seals out & you should be able to see or better still feel if the bearings are any good or bad. The small end of the dog bone take a bashing as it's so close to the downpipe, so you may find it bone dry... The bracket to swingarm suffers as it gets all the crap & water of the road...well it does in the UK... :lol: :lol:

The sleeves/spacers/cushions can show wear or corosion & its a case of cleaning up & deciding if they are reusable or scrap. The bolts can corode on to the inside of said sleeves & again clean up or replace.

If you need to replace any of the hardwear then it the local Honda Stealer or parts site. For the bearings & the seals, if you have them a bearing factors will match them & be a lot cheaper than one in a Honda bag.

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... k-absorber

2704 ShoLin 5.jpg
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Have a gander through this > *** IMPORTANT*** Swingarm and linkage bearings servicing***

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11809

It can be straightforward job or it can get messy....

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Man they have a rough life there.

Mine still look almost new and all hardware is in good shape.
As for the the bearings,they are more then likely fine...everything still works as it should.

It's just that these are the same bearing that were in it when I bought the bike back in '97.
So it's more of a peace of mind thing.

Thanks for the tips :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Lucky you and saves time, $$$ and hassle of a complete refurb

Here in UK for good & bad we have to contend with salt gritters.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts