It's that time again.....

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
E.Marquez

Re: It's that time again.....

Post by E.Marquez »

Shauned71 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:09 am the problem with anodising is the aluminium.. believe it's the difference in qualities
Its not just "qualities" but type and then cast, vs forged vs extruded...they all anodize differently..I've had enough assemblys or parts that make up an assembly come back as a rainbow selection of colors, shades, depths of color to stick with powder coating now
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

E.Marquez wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:00 pm
Shauned71 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:09 am the problem with anodising is the aluminium.. believe it's the difference in qualities
Its not just "qualities" but type and then cast, vs forged vs extruded...they all anodize differently..I've had enough assemblys or parts that make up an assembly come back as a rainbow selection of colors, shades, depths of color to stick with powder coating now
All very understandable... the chap I spoke to about doing the job didn't go into the detail that you have but all makes sense and it was because of the possible problems with the finish not matching that I was put off. I had everything powder coated after and i'm glad I did, very happy with the result.
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Small update... front end fitted today.. prefer the look so i'm happy :-) Not sure if still going for a carbon mudguard because of cost.. next week will check out cost to get it hydro dipped in carbon effect and will decide from there.

Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Busy busy of late so haven't had much time to play with my bikes so bit of a boring update and no new photos but making a few changes to ole 'Matty' above... changing the rear braced swing arm for a Metmachex under slung braced swing arm in silver... To save money going with the standard 954 mudguard which will be painted to match... have also got my hands on a twin headlight set up which again will be painted and fitted... waiting for mr postman to bring me a few nicer looking bolts to dress rear caliper up along with a shiny new oberon clutch slave cylinder. Not sure if I have previously mentioned it but will be swapping the gold 954 calipers for black cbr600 calipers to keep with the theme of the bike. Only thing I have done since last post... I originally threw the 954 front end on but have taken it back off and refitted properly sorting out the steering lock, moving rads back etc etc so that bit is completely done now. OOh just remembered... have ordered a seat from Else made... nothing too fancy.. no coloured stitching/piping but should compliment the bike :D
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

And for anyone who hasn't already seen one like this... this is the swing arm I will be fitting tomor... well, later today :P

Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Busy busy all the time hence no update.. mudguard painted, new rear swing arm fitted... Polish the arm up nice for sake of cleaning it then went over it with a scotch pad to give it a more brushed aluminium look. Oberon clutch slave fitted, swapped out the front calipers from gold to black. Have some new bolts to dress up the rear caliper, new Elsemade seat in the works, pair of ASV levers and radical brake master to fit and still have to adjust me tensioners.... also have to trim a bit off the rear of my pyramid belly pan as i'm pretty sure my swingarm's brace is gonna do it some damage if I don't. Nearly there though.. may get a few miles in on her this year yet.

StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Shauned71 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:40 am Busy busy all the time hence no update.. mudguard painted, new rear swing arm fitted... Polish the arm up nice for sake of cleaning it then went over it with a scotch pad to give it a more brushed aluminium look. Oberon clutch slave fitted, swapped out the front calipers from gold to black. Have some new bolts to dress up the rear caliper, new Elsemade seat in the works, pair of ASV levers and radical brake master to fit and still have to adjust me tensioners.... also have to trim a bit off the rear of my pyramid belly pan as i'm pretty sure my swingarm's brace is gonna do it some damage if I don't. Nearly there though.. may get a few miles in on her this year yet.

Well the ASV levers are on the way! Should be a nice wee touch mate. Radial master was great with my setup so also a nice wee touch.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Hey all.. been a long time but thought i'd kinda cap off this thread... It was nearly a year ago when I last played around with this bike.. replaced the R1 front end with a 954 set up as I preferred the colour of the forks and fitted a funky swing arm but that's about as far as I got and the bike was shoved back in the corner where it had been since just after the 20th anniversary meet up. Another year down the line.. a few more parts that gathered and I finally dug the bike out about a week ago. Original problem after I first rebuild the bike was the cams chains were a bit tight and the engine.. well it just didn't seem right. Have now doubled checked/adjusted the acct's.. bike wasn't running quite right and I have put that down to the carbs as the bike was standing for 2 years before I started work on it. Have swapped out the carbs with a spare set I had here and she's now running quite well.. Just got to balance the carbs and double check the tps but first impressions are very good and I am quite happy.

Had my seat recovered by Elsemade.. very happy with the job.. Found a cheap storm early last year with a twin headlamp conversion so bike bought and headlamp robbed lol I did mention in one of my previous comments that I had ASV levers and a radial master from a 2011 blade on their way.. they are all on and doing their job well. A few titanium bits fitted to freshen up the rear caliper. Clear rear light but not of the led variety. A few hours of scrubbing cleaning/polishing and a fresh MOT later and the bike is finally back on the road. Still a few more things I want to do but it is mostly cosmetic... as and when I get around to it, I have a spare set of engine/cam covers etc that I will have either powder coated or stove enamelled as the ones that are currently fitted look a bit drab.. bare in mind I painted all my covers originally with rattle cans for a quick fix so was never expecting the finish to hold up. Only part I wan't.. will be keeping an eye out for a nice rear shock, something that will suit the bike.. Plenty of nice new ones out there that I really fancy but i'm too tight for new although it's stupid really as this bike and near everything I have obtained and fitted has cost me very little to what it could of cost so maybe one treat is deserved.

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Love the swing arm. That is proper 80s
AMcQ
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

That's looking really Good!
You're right, a decent rear shock will finish it off nicely. It'll definitely make you look like you can explore the swing arm potential even if you just ride it slow 8)
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

one of my fav storms :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: love that swinger
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I'm another fan of the Metmachex swingarm 8)

Your bike is looking great :clap:

We have had a couple of decent rear shocks come up on here recently for sale, although I think are now sold, one Penske and an Ohlins.

Thanks for capping this thread off as you put it. It's interesting to read the end results :D and see the photo's of course,

Chris.