It's that time again.....

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: It's that time again.....

Post by sirch345 »

Shauned71 wrote:Thanks for the comments :)
sirch345 wrote: I like the high level Scorpions, but I would as that's what I have on mine :wink: :)

Chris.
I am quite tempted to stay with the high levels.. the more I look at them on the bike the more I like them plus my other Scorpions.. they are black.. black exhaust with black fame, wheel, s/arm etc it may be a bit much. The high levels may well give a nice and needed break up to the colours.
It might be an idea to see how the high level link pipes work regarding clearance with the swingarm brace once you have the headers attached to them,

Chris.
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

sirch345 wrote:
It might be an idea to see how the high level link pipes work regarding clearance with the swingarm brace once you have the headers attached to them,

Chris.
Links are ok, brace doesn't interfere with anything :mrgreen:
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Stuck lump on the bench and started cleaning up tonight.... minging! :lol:
Was going to do engine matt black and cases & covers dark metallic grey... Really don't like the matt black so out of curiosity tried a bit of what I supposed to be metallic black on the block... quite like it so will go with the black in photo on block and then do covers/cases in something as close to the original covers colour as poss.
Attachments
DSC_1636.JPG
DSC_1636.JPG (1.45 MiB) Viewed 5505 times
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Shauned71 wrote:
sirch345 wrote:

Chris.
Links are ok, brace doesn't interfere with anything :mrgreen:
That's handy to know :thumbup:

Chris.
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

One minute I feel like i'm getting somewhere having painted the engine up.. then I sit down and think about how much more I have to do and suddenly think I haven't really done sod all yet :lol:
But at least the engine is done... painted the block last night and then did all the covers/cases today. What a mess the cases etc were... one cover was so rough I swapped it for one off a spare engine I have which is 7 years older and with 70k more miles on it.... Happy with how they look although being just rattle canned up i'm not sure how long or well they will last.. don't matter though... when bike gets painted over the winter I will knock another set of cases up into shape properly.

You can see the colours in the photos but the colour on the block isn't quite as light as the photo suggests.. looks a different colour under the camera flash.

Plan for the next couple days.. besides sticking engine back together will be getting the swing arm and rear frame off the spare bike and taking them along with the frame for powder coating... will then drop in on the fabricators who welded up the swing arm and see what they think about making me some wheel spacers up so I can fit the 6 spokes. And a trip to the paint shop to see about getting paint for the bellypan and undertray. Will be ordering all sorts of silly bits like bearings, gaskets, indicators and different bits and bobs... hopefully i'll have all parts by mid week next week along with my frame etc so fingers crossed I will have a rolling chassis come next weekend. Not holding my breathe but it would be nice if I can get that far by then or soon after.
Attachments
DSC_1638.JPG
DSC_1638.JPG (1.37 MiB) Viewed 5480 times
DSC_1640.JPG
DSC_1640.JPG (1.5 MiB) Viewed 5480 times
DSC_1644.JPG
DSC_1644.JPG (1.42 MiB) Viewed 5480 times
DSC_1645.JPG
DSC_1645.JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 5480 times
DSC_1647.JPG
DSC_1647.JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 5480 times
DSC_1651.JPG
DSC_1651.JPG (1.41 MiB) Viewed 5480 times
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Looking good. Well done!
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Engine looks great, nice job, did you use a high temp paint as this will need curing (engine run hot) before it is fully manhandleable.

If normal paint it will start to blister after a while due to the engine temp.

Watching this thread with anticipation, looking good though.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

It is looking really good :thumbup: well done,

Chris.
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Thanks all :-)
VTR Phoenix wrote:Engine looks great, nice job, did you use a high temp paint as this will need curing (engine run hot) before it is fully manhandleable.

If normal paint it will start to blister after a while due to the engine temp.

Watching this thread with anticipation, looking good though.
Yes... high temp on block... normal stuff on the rest. Actually.. never used high temp paint before so didn't know about engine needing to be run up to temp to cure... makes sense now though cause I noticed at the mo it doesn't take a lot to rub the paint off lol

Because of running around and other stuff to do I haven't done anywhere near as much as I could have on the bike... that said, I have managed to do everything I wanted to do over the past 2 days...
Order a bunch of silly little bits needed for the bike, should have them over the next couple days. Refitted what I could to the engine.. just waiting on the odd gasket and have to tidy up the clutch master before refitting. Managed to straighten my bent harris rear set.. something i'm really quite happy about :mrgreen: Dropped frame, subframes and s/a off for powder coating today.. so that was actually a day late.. hoping to have them back late next week but not holding my breathe as they are very busy.

Will double check availability and hopefully order new front wheel bearings tomorrow so I can get this 6 spoke on... if indeed the bearings are available then i'll pop the complete front end up to the fabricators tomorrow and get a price on sorting out new wheel spacers and drop the 6 spokes off to the powder coaters.

Have picked up a cbr600 throttle cable. They are longer than the storms cables so will use these as a trial fit and if they do the job will buy new ones of the shelf.

On way back from powder coaters I called in to a garage to get a price on painting my undertray and belly pan... Pyramid belly pan is in factory finish.. just want's a rub down and a splash of primer... undertray already painted so just needs a flat down... told them i'd prep them up ready.. £150 :Shock1: stuff that... i'll paint them in the shed. So on that note i'll also run up to the paint shop and sort some colour out ready.

First couple days of next week is gonna be sitting at the bench cleaning and polishing everything possible ready for refitting and that will be followed by a few days of pacing around waiting for the call to say my frame etc is ready.

Couple more pics of the engine now that it's coming together... can see the colours better in these
Attachments
DSC_1652a.jpg
DSC_1652a.jpg (949.59 KiB) Viewed 5454 times
DSC_1655.JPG
DSC_1655.JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 5454 times
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

good work there Shaun, like the front end
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

The engine is looking very good :clap:

Chris.
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Besides bolting a few more bits to the engine have just been cleaning/tidying parts up the past couple days.. things may slow up for a week or so too.. partly because i'm stuck for things to do while waiting on parts to come back from powder coating but also because I have to sort out getting my old Transit through it's MOT.. oh and a couple hospital appointments (check ups) ... probably won't have van later in week and into start of next week so won't be able to pick frame up even if it is ready..

Have been trying to get wheel bearings to allow me to fit the blade front wheel... no luck :cry: On the bright side... spoke to the fabricators who told me it's no trouble to take 1mm out of the hub which will allow me to fit a slightly larger bearing and in turn fit the blade wheel :mrgreen: Hopefully will have new bearings for Wednesday which will allow me to drop the front end off for work.. they will machine the wheel, either take a bit off the inside of the tube that sits in the rim between bearings or make me a replacement plus knock me up some new wheel spacers. I will try and blag a lift if the front end is done before end of week but failing that i'll have to pick up next week.. which sucks because as soon as I get the wheel back it goes in for powder coating so still won't be able to put a front end on the bike.... hence why everything is slowing up for now.

Couple photos of the little I have done... bolted a few more bits to engine and slowly filling my big plastic box up with nice clean or shiny parts ready for refit. Meanwhile i will keep on cleaning bits up starting with the carbs that I pulled a part earlier... it's near 2 years since the bike last run and there was fuel left in the carbs... it's all kinda grim in there with blocked up all sorts :lol:
Attachments
DSC_1664.JPG
DSC_1664.JPG (1.33 MiB) Viewed 5397 times
DSC_1673.JPG
DSC_1673.JPG (1.38 MiB) Viewed 5397 times
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Looking real good ,keep it up
Watty

Post by Watty »

Coming together nicely, love the engine /case contrast :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
bigr250

Post by bigr250 »

Shauned71 wrote: Image
It seems you've gone with the same rear calliper solution as I chose in using the blade bracket & transferred the locating slot as well as the brace.

Definitely the better option in my eye's, looks great.

Mine is only waiting to be dropped off at the welders then decide on paint or polish????? :wtf: :wtf:
Rappelez tout mais ne pardonner rien!!