Rear Wheel - Captive Spacers - want any?

General Bike chat
E.Marquez

Re: Rear Wheel - Captive Spacers - want any?

Post by E.Marquez »

Just as a note... the aluminum spacers do ware fairly quick at the seal touch point.
You will get a small wear line fairly quickly and then it gets deeper and wider as the KM build. the deeper the wear depression the less sealing out water and dirt will take place. So not re rain on anyone's parade, and not to say they will only last a month or 2.. more like 20, 30, 40,000 KM depending on the environment used in more abrasive (dust, dirt, ect) the less service life. But you blokes seem to do a LOT of wet weather riding so sealing out that water from the wheel bearings is likley a priority.

After I made the first set in all aluminum, and found a good sized wear mark at second tire change time, i made a second set with a stainless steel wear band installed. Those have gone 22K miles now. But to make a captive set in 7075 al Id have to make um in three parts with a SS wear band...and that's more work than its worth..unless I get really board. Or could make a set of captive spacers from SS entirely..... :? :? :? :?

So just know, you're going to see a wear mark if you look at them in 10K KM or so.. normal and not a huge deal... after that, keep an I eye on them and decide when its time for a new set.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

E.Marquez wrote:Just as a note... the aluminum spacers do ware fairly quick at the seal touch point.
You will get a small wear line fairly quickly and then it gets deeper and wider as the KM build. the deeper the wear depression the less sealing out water and dirt will take place. So not re rain on anyone's parade, and not to say they will only last a month or 2.. more like 20, 30, 40,000 KM depending on the environment used in more abrasive (dust, dirt, ect) the less service life. But you blokes seem to do a LOT of wet weather riding so sealing out that water from the wheel bearings is likley a priority.

After I made the first set in all aluminum, and found a good sized wear mark at second tire change time, i made a second set with a stainless steel wear band installed. Those have gone 22K miles now. But to make a captive set in 7075 al Id have to make um in three parts with a SS wear band...and that's more work than its worth..unless I get really board. Or could make a set of captive spacers from SS entirely..... :? :? :? :?

So just know, you're going to see a wear mark if you look at them in 10K KM or so.. normal and not a huge deal... after that, keep an I eye on them and decide when its time for a new set.
Good to know, thanks mate :thumbup:
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

What price in SS or Ti?
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Why rear wheel only?
They make full sets- I have some for the 2.
Lovely and light in aluminium, but I will probably take 3 or years to do 10K so a cheap consumable as far as I'm concerned.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

AMCQ46 wrote:What price in SS or Ti?
Dunno, but can ask Al.
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

tony.mon wrote:Why rear wheel only?
They make full sets- I have some for the 2.
Lovely and light in aluminium, but I will probably take 3 or years to do 10K so a cheap consumable as far as I'm concerned.
I was only interested in rear as that is a pain the ass whereas I can manage the front on my own. But Mac sent both so I'll send them tomorrow and ask for him to make both. Plenty of interest here so he should add them to stock.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

i'd deffo be up for set of front and rear in titanium mate.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Mav617

Re: Rear Wheel - Captive Spacers - want any? Update

Post by Mav617 »

Here's his answer on price and different materials:

hi Roger.
They would be £29 a set. These are made on a bar fed lathe which involves writing programmes etc for each spacer which is time consuming...All our spacers are made from T7 Aerospace grade Alloy, it is not feasible to use different materials.
Regards
Mick

So - I'll sort the postage, and order everyone's and send them out if you can confirm you're happy to pay £29 for a full set (front/rear)?
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I'm happy with that.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I'm in Rog ... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

yup il have a set....
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Yes that price is good for me
AMcQ
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

:thumbup:
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I only need the rears as my front end is a USD unit with an SP1 wheel and I already have Ti captive spacers fitted. But if the deal is only for the lot I will have them and get rid of the fronts. :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

For some reason I thought they where going to be SS. I shall stick with what I have thanks so pulling out. I can put the £30 towards pads instead.
==============================Enter the Darkside