Trail Braking

General Bike chat
popkat

Re: Trail Braking

Post by popkat »

Pete.L wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:39 am
consul wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:48 am I prefer left handers, and I've always wondered if it has something to do with being right handed and footed. i also skateboard and turning right is much less natural than turning left - same when I ski. Weird.
Never thought about being Left or Right handed. It's true, most people have a preference. You could also chuck into the equation we get more practice at left handers in the UK due to all the roundabouts or the camber of the road so the bike has a better contact patch and the bike feels more secure.
Tony's got a good point too. I never like entering a right hander if it's a bit tight and visibility is poor. It can put your head in a very vulnerable position for oncoming traffic :crazy: Psychology plays a part too
Surely you mean right handers in the UK ?, Roundabouts go round to the right..
I think the preference has to do more with body position in corners, you may lean differently in rights and lefts, one may feel more natural and the other not so. Then there's what your mind is doing, if you think your not so good at left handers then you won't be.. I know when on track my position feels more awkward and less natural when I go left but In reality I go round lefts and rights just the same, my mind has no preference but I sometimes feel less good on lefts even though I'm not. maybe due to no where near as many lefts.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

No wonder I find roundabouts so scary.
😆😆😆
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

If the link works here an alternative view.
zakisbak

Post by zakisbak »

I too always have two fingers on the brake lever as I read an article that explained the distance you can cover while moving your fingers into position;it can be considerable!
I always look at a side junction car's front wheels for movement and make eye contact with the driver.
Always use front and rear brakes.