Engine Noise

General Bike chat
Rusco_9

Engine Noise

Post by Rusco_9 »

Hi people,

Quick one if anyone can help....

1998 Firestorm

I left for work this morning, had it on choke just to cruise out to the main road.

I was in 3rd gear cruising out of the village at 30 or there abouts and had put the choke back in. There was then a noise that is hard to describe but the best I can it is like a mild overrun pop but sounded more metallic and from under the tank, so from the engine in my mind.

There was no loss of power or anything other to note. I carried on as normal for a further 0.5 -1 mile and it did it again as I was going round a roundabout. So worried about it I went back home and thought I would cruise in 4th just to put no strain on it and get home. It did it one more time before home.

It idles fine, revs fine and sounds normal there's not other unusual noises and no noticeable power loss or anything of that nature so I'm at a bit of a loss??

Cheers

Russ
Wicky

Re: Engine Noise

Post by Wicky »

Sounds like carb fart - make sure idle is set to spec 1200—1300rpm to lessen chances of it stalling when idling or in low speed turns. No real cure apart from make sure carbs are balanced and TPS is set to spec.

Best not lug the engine in too high a gear at low speeds.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Agreed. It's ordinary, most Storms do it occasionally.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Rusco_9

Post by Rusco_9 »

Ah cool, I did wonder if it was something like that.

I'll check the idle as it might be a bit low then as it does tend to stall unless properly up to temperature. Agreed re the high gears but was just worried under load at the time but won't again :)

Really appreciate the replies :thumbup:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Just your Storm's way of keeping you on your toes... :o :biggrin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Startle_response
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Rusco_9

Post by Rusco_9 »

Lol, it definitely worked :D

And the wiki article was spot on for my reaction 8O
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome to the world of carb farts :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Rusco_9

Post by Rusco_9 »

fabiostar wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:42 pm welcome to the world of carb farts :clap:
I must admit it was rather unsettling at first but I'm glad it wasn't anything untoward but it kind of matches me so that's all good :lol:
TheBozBoz

Post by TheBozBoz »

Thank christ I found this post. I've heard that same sound on mine, especially this evening. It's like a metallic popping crunch under the tank briefly, heard it tonight after doing my velocity stacks. Thought I'd truly fecked up, like dropped a screw down an inlet without realising. Not to worry after some investigation I realised I'd put the vacumm pipe on the wrong bit of the tank filter! Must have being carb popping/farting from fuel starvation! Has been fine since....

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Dave100

Post by Dave100 »

TheBozBoz wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:56 pm Thank christ I found this post. I've heard that same sound on mine, especially this evening. It's like a metallic popping crunch under the tank briefly, heard it tonight after doing my velocity stacks. Thought I'd truly fecked up, like dropped a screw down an inlet without realising. Not to worry after some investigation I realised I'd put the vacumm pipe on the wrong bit of the tank filter! Must have being carb popping/farting from fuel starvation! Has been fine since....

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk
Yes first time it happens you think the tank is going to eject itself 👍
It’s what makes our storms have a bit of character

That and the occasional stall when coming down the box to a halt 😀😀