Wheel rotation direction.

General Bike chat
AMCQ46

Wheel rotation direction.

Post by AMCQ46 »

this is not Firestorm related, its for a project I am doing on my KTM to fit a 17" front wheel for a more super moto feel.

I have a left over Aprlilla cast front wheel from my firestorm front end conversion, and plan to modify that with new bearings / spacers / abs rings to fit the KTM.

The APE wheel has a directional arrow on it, but to resolve some other problems, I would like to fit it the other way round.

SO the question is: what is the possible reason that the wheel is directional, and what risk if I run it backwards?
AMcQ
8541Hawk

Re: Wheel rotation direction.

Post by 8541Hawk »

Usually it's for aerodynamic reasons and you should be able to run it the opposite way without any real difficulties.....well except for possibly a little less top end :thumbup:
Last edited by 8541Hawk on Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:10 pm this is not Firestorm related, its for a project I am doing on my KTM to fit a 17" front wheel for a more super moto feel.

I have a left over Aprlilla cast front wheel from my firestorm front end conversion, and plan to modify that with new bearings / spacers / abs rings to fit the KTM.

The APE wheel has a directional arrow on it, but to resolve some other problems, I would like to fit it the other way round.

SO the question is: what is the possible reason that the wheel is directional, and what risk if I run it backwards?
Possibly mainly for benefit of styling, and as reference for getting the tyre on the right way round when wheel is off the bike where it would be more important.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Thanks lads.

My thoughts were:
a) tolerance datums with the wheel spacers so the discs and ABS ring gaps are well controlled to the internal sholder that one wheel bearing gets pressed against. …. and this is the reason I want to flip it as the APE and KTM datum from the opposite fork leg and put the spindle in from opposite sdes.
b) styling / Aero

I hadn't thought about tyre fitting to loose wheels, and that will be a real issue, so I will need to paint a reverse arrow over the top of it.
AMcQ
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

it wont be a problem at all safety wise.many aftermarket wheels can be fitted either way round and im sure the ape wheel is the same.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Maybe worth removing the direction indicator as it could cause issue with any insurance investigators or maybe even MOT testers
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

But only if you can do so, removal, that is without serious damage
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

There was an arrow on the end can on my SP2, I tried turning it round once and it wouldn't fit.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

tony.mon wrote:There was an arrow on the end can on my SP2, I tried turning it round once and it wouldn't fit.
You should have used Arrow end cans Tony Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It was an Arrows can.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.