Mystery pipes

General Bike chat
Dieselman

Mystery pipes

Post by Dieselman »

Just stripped my recently acquired 1997 Firestorm ( originally imported from Europe new )
There appear to be an unused piping run - small bore rubber piping with a plastic ‘t’ piece
It looks like the only thing it could be is a drain pipe for the two carb. bowls but it wasn’t connected. It looks original but clean and seemingly unused ?
Any ideas what it could be - the on line carb. accessory page shows sone small bore tubing and a T piece but lists as no longer available. Perhaps it was fitted on early bikes and made redundant later ?
It is not the vacuum pipe from rear head to the fuel tap, nor the tank breather or drain tubes which are all present.
Cheers
tony.mon

Re: Mystery pipes

Post by tony.mon »

Either a feed line for a scotoiler that the po has removed, or a carb balancer pipe to the front cylinder.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Dieselman

Post by Dieselman »

I don’t think it’s either of those ( thanks nonetheless ) - it has two equal legs and one longer leg from the T which seemed to be led down to the drain position of the fuel tank breather. The two equal legs were around the vee area between the cylinders as if related to the carbs but not connected to anything. The rubber piping is quality stuff - looks like a Honda piece of kit to me but use just a mystery so far
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Not a standard part on any of the model variants that I've seen.
I can't think of anything beyond my first two options.

Although:
some have mentioned some sort of fuel starvation that's somehow caused by the two short breather pipes, each one exiting from each carb and ending folded into the carb mounting frame; it's possibly someone's attempt to "cure" that problem.

I never experienced any problem with those pipes myself or understood how/why they could affect fuelling, except by being blocked or kinked. They're just breathers.

I can't remember clearly, but isn't there a breather coming off the coolant filler neck on the rh rad, and ?maybe one from the coolant overflow reservoir?
It's not those, is it?

If not, pull it out, and see what stops working. If no effect, you've saved weight and made it quicker.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Did the bike come with a PAIR system when new?
tony.mon wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:56 pm
Although:
some have mentioned some sort of fuel starvation that's somehow caused by the two short breather pipes, each one exiting from each carb and ending folded into the carb mounting frame; it's possibly someone's attempt to "cure" that problem.
Actually it was a Honda service bulletin to address the stalling (or loss of the front cylinder) under hard braking. Can't comment on later models but it was a real issue with the '97 bikes

Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

8541Hawk wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:27 am Did the bike come with a PAIR system when new?
tony.mon wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:56 pm
Although:
Actually it was a Honda service bulletin to address the stalling (or loss of the front cylinder) under hard braking. Can't comment on later models but it was a real issue with the '97 bikes

i had major spluttering problems with my yellow bike at track days with those pipes. once i cut them and pointed them down problem solved, never happened on the road but at the track after say a long straight and a hairpin it was really bad, cheap fix :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Dieselman

Post by Dieselman »

Tks for the comments to date - I need to take a picture of the pipes I am left looking at even though the bike is now running fine without them ! The first length I connect to the tank breather but the T Piece and another two lengths attached to that I have left on the bench as it is still a mystery where they came from. The piping is small and is the size that fits to the tank breather but why the T piece and two extension pieces I can’t figure out ? It looks like original Honda stuff as it is quality black tubing with lettering on its seam.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

well if you missed the question before.....did the bike come with a PAIR system?
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Dieselman

Post by Dieselman »

No the bike was a standard EU issue ( import ) - it has a completely std. air supply / emissions set up all in exactly as built shape.