lowering - again

General Bike chat
haynesjones66

lowering - again

Post by haynesjones66 »

i recently swapped my cbr600 for a poxy scooter as my joints are struggling, but i'm reluctant to sell the storm. it has blade forks which gives it a bit of a nose down stance so i'm thinking of lowering the rear end a fair bit. i remember reading something about a benny who turned his links a different way so i'm wondering if he's still here or does anyone know what he did? i'd rather not buy lowering links etc as i may still not be able to ride the thing. i have come across a company who do a push button gearchange so that might be worth considering at some point
AMCQ46

Re: lowering - again

Post by AMCQ46 »

Sadly Benny is no longer with us :(

Don't think I can remember that specific post, but then he was feckin prolific!

But if he was right, then it should be fairly easy to flip the triangle piece of the suspension linkage, if you have had the linkages apart to grease them up, it will be easy. If you haven't, it might be a pain due to either corrosion, or the fact you need to take the pipes off to get one bolt out (refit that from the other side when you put it back together and you don't need to take the pipes off next time) .
when you clean all the crap off you will see an arrow on it which is to tell you which way it should go, as the sides of the triangle are not equal length... just flip it over so the relationship between the rest of the linkage bolts and short and long triangle is revered

If you put some tape on the tail fairing, you can measure from rear spindle to the tape mark before and after and see how much it changed.

Take some photos and you can finish what Benny started
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Yep as Al says it's just a matter of flipping the Triangle part of the linkage over.

Part No. 7 https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... k-absorber

Whilst your in there check & lube & dont be suprised if a/ it's seized b/ the bearings are ferked c/ the bolts & cushions are coroded...

It's worth sorting it out whilst it apart as its an often overlooked service item which should be done at the very least every two years...

Bolts & cushions are a honda Item, bearings & seals will be a lot cheaper from a bearing factors.

The Triangle as said has an arrow stamped on it showing which way it should go... Arrow to the front.
arm-sub-assycush_big52465MBB000-02_3d2a.jpg
As you can see the arms are different lenghts you can see the arrow in this pick so the longer arms are at the top, which if I've got me angels right, the longer arms connect to the shock...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Oh & Al IIRC it wasn't something he did on purpose but was a simple error when rebuilding after the pothole event.

It suited his stumpy legs so he left it... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

that's brilliant thank you. i'll try anything first before parting with this thing. scooter riding is messing with my head!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It could get worse.
Someone I know had a scooter, sold that, bought a Yamaha, sold that, and is now the owner of a Suzuki cruiser...🤔
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

tony.mon wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:43 pm It could get worse.
Someone I know had a scooter, sold that, bought a Yamaha, sold that, and is now the owner of a Suzuki cruiser...🤔
who the feck would do that!!!!!!!!!!! oh lets move on :eek2 :lol: :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:03 pm
tony.mon wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:43 pm It could get worse.
who the feck would do that!!!!!!!!!!! oh lets move on :eek2 :lol: :lol:
You by the sounds of it :lol:

Chris.