LED rear light

General Bike chat
TaxiDriver

LED rear light

Post by TaxiDriver »

Has anyone fitted an LED rear light and if so how did you get around providing a number plate light?.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: LED rear light

Post by sirch345 »

That is a job I need to do sometime :lol:

I intend to use 2 LED bulbs like these below. There are plenty for sale on Ebay.
I think on the Firestorm you can fit these above the number plate :?:
LED numberplate bulbs.jpg
Photo courtesy of this seller:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362970984150 ... 1195.m1851

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I was gonna check mine today to see if it has a white light shining down like the std light but I forgot...

It passed an MOT today with an LED light fitted so If thats what your worried about... I didn't & it wasn't checked anyway...

Maybe Popkat can shed some light on if it's requied or not...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:14 pm I was gonna check mine today to see if it has a white light shining down like the std light but I forgot...

It passed an MOT today with an LED light fitted so If thats what your worried about... I didn't & it wasn't checked anyway...

Maybe Popkat can shed some light on if it's requied or not...
I have two RED LED bulbs in the standard light on mine, not sure I will get through the mot with them fitted :shh:

Chris.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

I have two RED LED bulbs in the standard light on mine, not sure I will get through the mot with them fitted :shh:

Chris.
Have you got a link to those bulbs Chris?.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

TaxiDriver wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:03 am I have two RED LED bulbs in the standard light on mine, not sure I will get through the mot with them fitted :shh:

Chris.
Have you got a link to those bulbs Chris?.
[/quote]

These are the RED LED bulbs I'm using from LIGHTENUPGRADE:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153004702749 ... SwSEZa6GvR

Chris.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

Thanks Chris, do they act as a brake light as well as a tail light?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

TaxiDriver wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:26 pm Thanks Chris, do they act as a brake light as well as a tail light?
Yes they are brake light and tail light bulbs.
The only think you will need to do besides the number plate illumination bulbs is to blank off the clear plastic window that allows light to shine down from the original bulbs to illuminate the number plate. If you look at some (if not all) LED rear lights for the Firestorm, that part is blanked off for that reason.

Chris.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

sirch345 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:38 pm
TaxiDriver wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:26 pm Thanks Chris, do they act as a brake light as well as a tail light?
Yes they are brake light and tail light bulbs.
The only think you will need to do besides the number plate illumination bulbs is to blank off the clear plastic window that allows light to shine down from the original bulbs to illuminate the number plate. If you look at some (if not all) LED rear lights for the Firestorm, that part is blanked off for that reason.

Chris.
They are also blanked off in the US as we are "required" to have a separate plate light. Though I have been running a Euro tail light for many years now just for the clear bit :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

OK thanks all,have gone for the smoked LED rear light unit,the one with built in cators' on 2 yellow wires and a green,black and red[which is the earth] for the lights.
Anyone wired one of these up?.Gonna have to do it at the weekend and don't have the luxury of any cover so a quick job is needed!!.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

So green or black will be for the brake light, and the other one will be the rear light. Fit it with bullet connectors and swap until it all works, same as you'll have to with the two yellows- one will be left and the other one right.
You could play using a spare battery ( it battery charger with a 12v half wave rectified output) as a power source, and touch the wire ends to find out which colour does what.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

tony.mon wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:07 pm So green or black will be for the brake light, and the other one will be the rear light. Fit it with bullet connectors and swap until it all works, same as you'll have to with the two yellows- one will be left and the other one right.
You could play using a spare battery ( it battery charger with a 12v half wave rectified output) as a power source, and touch the wire ends to find out which colour does what.
Thanks for that Tony,I've bought a Healtech brake light pro as well so looking at it tonight it should be even easier.
Not going to use the scotch locks provided.Will use bullet connecters so the rear light can be removed.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Because the MOT tester will frown at it, bullets make it easy to pop the old std ones back on, along with the standard huge numberplate.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

All done and dusted......
ImageImage

Much brighter and with the brake light manager should help to back off
tail chaser's......

Oh yea,the red wire from the light is power not earth as suggested in a reveiw
on ebay.....
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Nice job.
Just check it every so often, I've had two of these self destruct from vibration, where the circuit boards had only been glued into place. I think it's movement from the light's flexible mountings rather than engine vibes, I reduced the amount of light movement by adding a penny washer or two to the rubber mount, which seemed to solve the problem.

Rubber mounting was there to try to protect the lamp filaments, but LEDs are more robust, so less flexibility is ok.