Chain breaker & rivetter

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jchesshyre

Chain breaker & rivetter

Post by jchesshyre »

Can anyone recommend a chain breaking and rivetting tool that's up to the job of working on the Firestorm's chain?

I had a Sealey tool which claims to be able to deal with 530 chains but last time I used it I was rivetting the second pin and suddenly there was a loud crack...I thought I'd b*ggered the chain but in fact the thread in the tool had stripped/collapsed completely!! Luckily the pin spread was by this point just within the spec for the flared diameter, and also I took the tool back to Demon Tweeks and Sealey gave me a full refund.

They do a heavy duty version but it's bloody expensive...having said this I'd be happy to spend £90 on it if it's going to last a good while but I obviously wonder if there's a cheaper alternative that would do the job well, repeatedly...
StormyRob

Re: Chain breaker & rivetter

Post by StormyRob »

I broke the chain on the cheap and used a hacksaw.
The kit I used was nicely given to me but was just one of the basic riveting tools. Can get them for a tenner. My chain is a DID heavy duty.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

"cheaper alternative that would do the job well, repeatedly..."

Cheaper ones are semi-disposable as the pin can only do so many rivets. Even with the expensive DID chain rivet tool the pin and other parts apart from the tool body are replaceable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Power-Hand-T ... chain+tool

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.d ... GwodpRkBxQ
This unique 'Riveting and Cutting' tool from D.I.D is designed to cut chain, press fit connecting link plates and rivet pin heads all with one simple-to-use tool. This tool has been developed exclusively for use with D.I.D's 'ZJ' rivet link only. DO NOT use this to rivet D.I.D's 'XJ' or 'PL' links or any other manufacturer's rivet links. The KM500 may be used to cut any 520, 525, 530 or 532 chain that uses any one of D.I.D's 'RJ, FJ, XJ, ZJ or PL' connecting links.
"D.I.D's 'ZJ' type connecting links are strongly recommended when a particular type of connecting link is not designated as an original part of the motorcycle. For 'O' Ring chains, you are strongly recommended to use 'ZJ' connecting links. Cutting and riveting work with D.I.D Chain tool must be performed with complete adherence to the instruction manual supplied"
As for removing the old chain use an angle grinder, or simply remove the left footpeg hanger and the chain has a route off...

[youtube][/youtube]
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Cheers for this.

Yes I'd expect to have to replace the rivetting head now and again but with my tool the whole thread on the plunger stripped whilst I was rivetting. I was following the instructions to the letter and when using the tool to break the chain I had ground off the head of the pin which they recommend for 530 chains. Bit of a weird one as I wouldn't expect the rivetting to require a huge amount of torque.

That DID tool is still pricier than this one, which is the one I was referring to http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycl ... -set-ms025.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Before splashing out on the Sealey one check that replacement individual riveting pins are available.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
eamonn

Post by eamonn »

Big hammer and a centre punch . Bang Bang Bang. Job done.
Paultandy

Post by Paultandy »

I got 1 off eBay for £10 and it's spot on
:beer: I drink beer like my bike drinks petrol :beer: