Carb settings DYNOJET, K&N and open cans

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
clubber122

Post by clubber122 »

can any one suggest settings for carbs ive got a DJ kit and KN coming thurs and im gonna have a crack at doing it myself
i had the bike dyno'd last week VTR1000F 99' in the fastest colour (red), came out at 101bhp 69.93ft/lbs torque but air/fuel ratio was ludacris! mega lean the dude asked if id pushed it there, all it has on is open cans so ordered a K&N to add to the lean problem :lol: and a DJ kit to sort it all out, any one fancy coming helping me :crazy:

Regards
Sean
Wicky

Re: Carb settings DYNOJET, K&N and open cans

Post by Wicky »

Last edited by Wicky on Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Are redline honda any good for setting storms up, I was looking at going to Total Traction just down the road from you in Great Totham but I think there prices are a bit steep
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

They were in their day - esp Roger was a whizz with carbs (he set mine up) but they closed a few years back :( So there's no local official Honda workshop - the nearest is in Ipswich or Braintree.

Otherwise speak to Sean exRedline http://www.seandaviesmotorcycles.co.uk/ and see if he can help

Unit 19, Gosbecks Business Park, Gosbecks Road, Colchester, Essex, CO2 9JS.
Phone and Fax number: 01206 366066.
bazza696 wrote:Are redline honda any good for setting storms up, I was looking at going to Total Traction just down the road from you in Great Totham but I think there prices are a bit steep
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

I know Sean, he looked at my bike and balanced the carbs first year I had the old girl.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Don't know of anywhere that now does dynoing locally - Didn't know TT down in tiptree with those facilities till you mentioned it - How much were they charging for setting yours up and dynoing? (I think I paid a couple of hundred a decade ago inc K&N and DJ kit)

Kawasaki down at the Hythe (5 mintes from me) in Colchester probably has a dyno for all their race development

edit yup they do http://www.colchesterkawasaki.co.uk/col ... e=workshop and this could be handy if it applied to setting up and dynoing
20% off all labour charges for bikes over 10 years old
bazza696 wrote:I know Sean, he looked at my bike and balanced the carbs first year I had the old girl.

bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

I want to get the bike setup to a standard air filter, not fused about dynojet and high flow filter.

I think it was 220 for dyno find and setup, 35 for a dyno run.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

As you can see it took 8 dyno runs to establish a baseline to the tuned final one, but surely as long as you had your carbs set to stock settings and parts - needles jets etc. I can't see it taking it taking much to get it running as OEM. What's it running like presently ?

this baseline carb set-up was on the superhawk forum http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/te ... -up-24769/ if its any help.
bazza696 wrote:I want to get the bike setup to a standard air filter, not fused about dynojet and high flow filter.

I think it was 220 for dyno find and setup, 35 for a dyno run.

bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Shocking, I need to check the valve clearances cause they have not been look at since I had her, and this is start of the third year.

I think her back firing on over run could be to the exhaust valve not seating properly, I can't check the compression as the problem would.only be apparent when the engines hot and all clearances have been taken up.

No biggie just get the range of shims that benny and tony recommend from that guy off eblag.

Once clearances have been done, then in to be setup.
clubber122

Post by clubber122 »

Any one??
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

clubber122 wrote:Any one??
Did you read the settings on my scan? :whatever but keep in mind that there are 'individual differences' so what might work on my bike might not precisely work on another storm with the same spec hardware ( you said " open cans"; baked beans, heinz soup or jolly green giant sweetcorn?). So necessitating dyno work and trial & error - it took 8 runs to get mine done.

clubber122

Post by clubber122 »

All I saw on the dyno run is 185main jet? What about needle postition and was 185 in front or rear cylinder?
Cheers
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Wicky wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:30 am Image

freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Have a read of the carb tuning guide linked to from the welcome in section. As has been said, near enough everyone who's Dyno'ed their bike has found the setup different. There's also some set up info in the Dyno chart thread in the workshop section.

The best bet, in my view, is to pay a good Dyno guy to set the bike up. It took about half a dozen runs to sort mine but the time and faffing saved was well worth the money. What your butt says and what the Dyno says are very often not the same thing.

I'm a little surprised the guy you used didn't offer to sort it. Different main jets and some shims for the needles could have been all that was needed.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Nick, did you spot that you are answering a question from 2011 :lol:
AMcQ