CCT broken spring.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

CCT broken spring.

Post by sirch345 »

A few weeks ago I took the Storm for a ride out, I'd only done around 15 miles when the front CCT decided to fail. As I had fitted the Stopper Mod I was able to ride the bike back home :D

Yesterday I stripped the old CCT to have a look at the broken spring. This is what I found, I wasn't expecting the spring to be broken at the bottom end:-
CCT broken spring 1.jpg
In the bottom photo It almost looks like the spring had been cut half way through, obviously it hadn't.
CCT broken spring 2.jpg

Chris.
Ckennedy

Re: CCT broken spring.

Post by Ckennedy »

Not good news but at least you managed to ride back and not damage anything. When you hoping to have it road worthy again?
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

It's proven the stopper mod works :clap: well done .
I didn't think the spring was That big .
Spring always fail near the end as it gets worked the hardest !
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Send those pics to Honda UK asking for their comments :-)

Recently a new forum member had some aftermarket springs crafted up, I wonder if his source has any more or if a company like this ( http://www.lancashire-spring.co.uk ), could perform a professional metallurgic analysis on why it failed and suggest a better replacement.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Ckennedy wrote:Not good news but at least you managed to ride back and not damage anything. When you hoping to have it road worthy again?
That was the best bit really being able to ride it back home. No waiting around for the break down truck or any damage to the valves. New CCT fitted with the stopper mod, I repaired it the day after I got back. I already had a brand new CCT waiting to go.
lloydie wrote:It's proven the stopper mod works :clap: well done .
I didn't think the spring was That big .
Spring always fail near the end as it gets worked the hardest !
It's surprising how big I can make it look with the right gear :wink: :lol:
Yes I agree about the springs failing near the end, but the ones I've seen are usually broken at the other end, the end which is furthest away from the engine oil,

Chris.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Fantastic photos :thumbup:
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Wicky wrote:Send those pics to Honda UK asking for their comments :-)

Recently a new forum member had some aftermarket springs crafted up, I wonder if his source has any more or if a company like this ( http://www.lancashire-spring.co.uk ), could perform a professional metallurgic analysis on why it failed and suggest a better replacement.
I like your way of thinking Wicky :) I doubt Honda would be interested now, even with that petition they got when the Firestorm/Superhawk was relatively new, they dismissed it as far as they were concerned.

That company could most likely analyse the spring at a price,
seb421 wrote:Fantastic photos :thumbup:
Cheers Seb :thumbup:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Fantastic photos :thumbup:
+1 You got to love a bit of Macro :thumbup:

It's good to have some good close up pics of where they fail. At least they can be used to show others exactly what goes wrong. If new CCT's where not so expensive to replace I would consider the stop mod over manuals if dong it again. It would be nice to be able to just buy new springs. They just look to thin and fragile to me and you can see particles of rust starting to form on the outside. Maybe if the springs where a thicker coil they would not snap so easily.

How many times have you had to replace them over the years Chris.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Hairy biker

Post by Hairy biker »

[quote="sirch345"]A few weeks ago I took the Storm for a ride out, I'd only done around 15 miles when the front CCT decided to fail. As I had fitted the Stopper Mod I was able to ride the bike back home :D

What's the 'stopper mod', I've done the cam chains on mine but I've never of this before it sounds like good idea though
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

The stopper mod involves inserting a piece of rod into the CCT so that when it fails it can't retract sufficiently to allow the chain to jump teeth. It's an alternative to manuals and prefered by some members as you retain the self adjusting function of the auto cct's.

Interesting photo's Chris. I had a return spring in a door handle fail in the same way, however no valves were damaged in that incident!! :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

i'm really glad you posted that picture sirch.

i was talking to a vtr owner the other night and he said that every failed cct he'd stripped had failed due to the bike not being used which he said caused rust to form on the spring inturn causing the spring to break...your picture clearly shows there's no rust on the spring,

it's good to hear the stopper mod worked and you got home without damaging the engine
Rob

Post by Rob »

Glad I finally got around to doing mine last year. :D

Thanks for the great info Chris. :thumbup:
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
silver storm

Post by silver storm »

I have a spare CCT I bought on fleabay so I could practise the mod I done mine last week so I could send you it if you want.
Stevie
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

tattoo wrote:i'm really glad you posted that picture sirch.

i was talking to a vtr owner the other night and he said that every failed cct he'd stripped had failed due to the bike not being used which he said caused rust to form on the spring inturn causing the spring to break...your picture clearly shows there's no rust on the spring,

it's good to hear the stopper mod worked and you got home without damaging the engine
I had one fail at low revs pulling off a roundabout when it had been replaced with a new one 18 months previously. And I used my bike every day......properly, too.

But it's noticeable how many fronts fail, and so few rears- I've really only seen two rears, can't think how many fronts, though- dozens.
The only reason I can see is that the rears fill with oil, and the front's don't.
As the part number is the same, it should be 50:50.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Chris, lucky you know the virtues of the stopper mod and it got you home safe :thumbup:
AMcQ