Steering Damper

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Storm Trooper

Steering Damper

Post by Storm Trooper »

Was thinking of putting a steering damper on the bike, but not anything in the price region of a Sprint or Ohlins!!!

I have got the dimensions and stroke required, where the body is 223mm and the stroke is 130mm of one that is already fitted to a Storm (side mount).

The body length should not really matter, but the stroke will be the important factor. I already have the fork clamp so was wondering if anybody had any opinions on the following damper?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270989780331? ... 164wt_1399

I may just need to make a bracket to fit to the side of the bike.

Cheers

Nigel
Keep Her Lit !
mattycoops43

Re: Steering Damper

Post by mattycoops43 »

Why? I push on and have never needed one. Do you have set up issues?
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
Storm Trooper

Post by Storm Trooper »

No setup issues. Bike is fine. :thumbup:

Just had it give a wee shake a couple of times when we have been away on our rapid 2 day tours when it has been loaded up (camping gear etc) and when really pushing on.
Keep Her Lit !
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

Your best bet is to wait for good second hand one

Them cheap £20 ones would be sh1t :?
98 storm with goodies!

Srad seven fiddy stuntbike

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
popkat

Post by popkat »

Mine could do with a damper, gets a bit flighty over crests on fast twisting roads, don't think i'll bother with the expense though I can live with it. Had one on my old storm but I was running road legal race tyres that were a bit pointy, the damper helped on that, I did do a couple of race meetings on it. it mounted on the righthand side of the frame, was the only place I could get clearance to fit it.

Did Brands GP on it and as the races went on the bike would wobble more and more, checked the damper and it was wound off, I thought someone was messing with it but later realised that the inside of my right knee when cornering was brushing it and casing the knurled adjuster to undo 8O , a bit of insulating tape around the adjuster cured it.

I Wouldn't go with that cheapie one on ebay though.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s