yet another reg/rec question

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Wonky Donkey

yet another reg/rec question

Post by Wonky Donkey »

Now then, my '98 Storm (approx 15,000 miles if the ODO is original....) has one of the old (finless) reg/recs fitted. I've read about a gazillion posts on here about reg/rec replacements, but what I can't seem to find is an answer to this:

If I carry out the tests as per cybercarl's guide, and I get encouraging results, do I grin and say "I've a good 'un :thumbup: " or replace the fatherless item regardless? Just wondering what the Mighty Org's view would be :cool2 .

And if so, given I can't seem to see an R1 (etc) unit for less than about fifty squid (though not looked that hard yet) is a finned, later Honda one such a bad option? I have seen a fair few posts here and elsewhere saying there's little or no evidence of any real issues with those ones.. At least I think that's what they were saying.. :?:

Sorry if in my reading I've missed an obvious answer - went a bit bozz-eyed after a while...

Cheers

MICK..
'97 VTR1000F Euro import
2003 SV650S cafe fighter
94/97 Ducati 750SS
Wicky

Re: yet another reg/rec question

Post by Wicky »

Search for Mosfet regulator - not all R1 R/Rs are the right type - you want an 'FH' type not an 'SH' if you want the best upgrade.

http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/kn ... how-25117/

Anything is better than the original pre '01 unfinned self-cooking R/R and a compromise is to fit a later Honda finned version.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CBR-125 ... 2a31f2348f
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
spikenipple

Post by spikenipple »

I've just fitted a finned CBR125 reg/rec as linked by Wicky. You can tell it'll do a good job as it's bloody massive in comparison :biggrin
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

There's two options out there depending on how much your prepared to spend.

You can either go for the the older design (SH) same as you have now but finned (anything is better than the OM) There's a good chance It will last longer than the OM one but is still prone to fail at some stage. This would be the cheapest option. Or you go the full hog and spend a bit more and get a MOSFET (FH) which is a totally different design internally. These are rock solid and the most reliable but not cheap.

Have a read through Tweety's thread on the Superhawk site as this will give you a better idea.
http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/kn ... how-25117/

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
fireballxl5

Post by fireballxl5 »

+1 agree with carl
Wonky Donkey

Post by Wonky Donkey »

Thanks, yeah I've been through Tweety's description, and loads of related posts/threads - I get a proportion of it (make up your own mind what percentage that might be...).

I'll see if I can locate a MOSFET (FH) type one somewhere without having to re-mortgage the house, but there doesn't seem to be many about. I don't really want to do a half-bottomed job, but can't justify too many expenses right now (I have just added a third bike to the garage, after all, and there's only so much wrath I am willing to endure at any one time :Argue 1: ...). Then I'll have to work out how to wire it in, but I'll save that headache for when I've got the thing in my hands..

Still, on a simpler note (suits me!) a little jiffy with some new stainless caphead screws arrived today to replace some of the furry ones... :clap: Air and oil filters on the way too.

MICK..
'97 VTR1000F Euro import
2003 SV650S cafe fighter
94/97 Ducati 750SS
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If you want to take a chance on it being a "good one" you can, but at least fit a voltmeter to show you immediately if it starts playing up, and if volts go above 20 stop immediately, don't be tempted to try to ride it home, as you'll kill the battery for sure.

If you compare the cost of a van hire or drag-your-sorry-wreck-home service plus battery even £50 for an R1 one isn't too bad.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Here you go
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-SHINDE ... 58a3ccf7ca

or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-YZF-R1 ... 2ec3493c5d
Double check the M&P one with them as though it has the double plug like the MOSFET's it does not make it clear in their ad as to which type it is.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Wonky Donkey

Post by Wonky Donkey »

Cheers Carl - Fancy paying the import duty & VAT on the first one for me? :lol:

there seem to be a few double-plug units for various bikes that are SH not FH, so worth taking care (as Tweety's posts imply). I've got a few questions out on a few ebay items just now so we'll see.

MICK..
'97 VTR1000F Euro import
2003 SV650S cafe fighter
94/97 Ducati 750SS
Wonky Donkey

Post by Wonky Donkey »

OK - sorry to harp on, but if I go for something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-R1-rec ... 2c73b8a566

is there an easy way to work out which wire goes where and does the spade connector/solder approach work with this sort of unit? As you can tell, electrics are not amongst my strongest areas of ability..

Cheers for your help.

MICK..
'97 VTR1000F Euro import
2003 SV650S cafe fighter
94/97 Ducati 750SS
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Replacement Regulator/Rectifier Mod > http://vtr1000f.wickidnet.com

HOW-TO: Shindengen MOSFET regulator/rectifier > http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6540
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

If anyone wants me too, just ask, and I'll clarify/explain whatever portion of that threat you don't understand... :wink: I promise to try and not put you too sleep... :D
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
vtrjames

Post by vtrjames »

i used the yamaha r1 4xv model regulator rectifier as did my mate, you can buy the correct molex plug for it too so it looks tidy, the only problem is the heat sink is quite large, it does fit in behind the fairing but you can only use 1 of the existing bolt holes and need to make another. :thumbup:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

R1 regs are just as bad as the standard non finned crap .
Your better off with a finned honda reg or a MOSFET .
vtrjames

Post by vtrjames »

as with all electronics, pay your money and take your chance, its near enough all the same shite inside anyway.r1 regs are ten a penny.