Camshaft change

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
chris freckle

Camshaft change

Post by chris freckle »

Has anybody tried fitting exhaust cams instead of inlet cams on the inlet side of the heads? I have aquired a couple & they look identical to the inlets but with more lift, Its only a bit more lift but hey the cams are cheap! :o
ebenviljoen

Re: Camshaft change

Post by ebenviljoen »

Yeah ive done it mate. Sounds little louder and deeper, slight performance boost, noticeable difference, but need to adjust feuling unfortunately, well i had to anyway. You may as well do valve clearances while you do it. Wirth while doing
chris freckle

Post by chris freckle »

Cheers for that, I have to do the carburation anyway when I fit the JE pistons, sounds like a good plan then.
Last edited by chris freckle on Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ebenviljoen

Post by ebenviljoen »

O yeah deffo.worth it mate. Ive.got pipercross filter, dynojet and the bigger camshafts. Got a flo commander.to fine tune it all, bike runs fantastic!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I'm fitting 4 ex to my and ck's road bike when I/we get a shim kit .
Tony.mon does a ride in ride out with them too
chris freckle

Post by chris freckle »

Has anyone done before & after runs on a dyno?
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

not that i know of as its a lot of messing about at the dyno to swap cams and shims
ebenviljoen

Post by ebenviljoen »

I remenber us dicusding this before and some one said they had figures of increased hp etc, but never did post them. Maybe there are figures from the forum across the pond? Ill have a look if i can find any
chris freckle

Post by chris freckle »

That would be good, please don't put to much effort into it as I have the cams so its going to happen anyway.
adyf

Post by adyf »

Yeah did my cams a while ago ,good chance to do manual ccts and valve clearances,if I remember right the exhaust cams have slightly more lift and duration also made around 3 or 4 bhp more but if you did some airbox mods and a pipercross filter might be slightly more ,k+n filters are shite.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Don't mean to pour cold water on this discussion, but the differences between the OEM intake and exhaust cams are minimal at best (FWIW, they both have 245 degrees duration, the exh., from what I can gather, has about 0.1-0.2mm more lift), and certainly not capable of generating 3-4 hp. Mori and Yoshi cams (have had both) are good for 5-6 hp, and they both have more lift and duration than OEMs.......
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
adyf

Post by adyf »

Funny isn't it ,the cams may not produce any more horses but you really want them to cos they are cheap,I say 3-4hp maybe just because I serviced it ,cleaned air filter etc ,I'm sure it's all in your head but it did seem more rev hungry,if only it was that easy eh.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

adyf wrote:Funny isn't it ,the cams may not produce any more horses but you really want them to cos they are cheap,I say 3-4hp maybe just because I serviced it ,cleaned air filter etc ,I'm sure it's all in your head but it did seem more rev hungry,if only it was that easy eh.
seems a lot of work for 3-4 bhp, i did a riding course with the Cops some years ago called "The edge" that got me riding far better and cost £68 at the time. Money off my insurance too and aim probably faster in all road conditions, and i didn't get my hands dirty.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
chris freckle

Post by chris freckle »

I have just paid £30.00 for some cams & £200.00 for a pair of je pistons, my thinking is that 8thou extra lift is better than nothing & given that the inlet lift on the vast majority of perfofmance engines is greater than the exhaust its a good place to go given that the firestorm engine is detuned to start with, Oh nearly forgot, I did the advanced with the police about 30 years ago so I am already "faster in most conditions". anyway I like to Richard about with engines.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

chris freckle wrote:I have just paid £30.00 for some cams & £200.00 for a pair of je pistons, my thinking is that 8thou extra lift is better than nothing & given that the inlet lift on the vast majority of perfofmance engines is greater than the exhaust its a good place to go given that the firestorm engine is detuned to start with, Oh nearly forgot, I did the advanced with the police about 30 years ago so I am already "faster in most conditions". anyway I like to Richard about with engines.
Well i understand that, I have heard of 150bhp out of a storm engine, but that must have had some work on it. Standard i believe there about 105 bhp, I've never red lined mine but nearly always up to 9000 providing its dry, SP1,s are 133 so are they much faster?, my mates is quick but a bit "choppy' on the road if that makes sense. if you like to "Richard about" with engines, i have Jenbacher rebuild due next month, feel free to help with that, Parts alone are 190k!!!
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!