Well here goes............fitting new MCCTS this week.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Hondo

Well here goes............fitting new MCCTS this week.

Post by Hondo »

Decided I had better fit some manual cam chain tensioners this week so I started following the excellent guide here. Took me about 3 hours yesterday to get the bike stripped down ready for phase 2 tonight. Phase 2 is taking the rocker covers off and checking the timing marks.
Phase 3 will be removing the old CCT's and fitting the new MCCT's. Phase 4 will be putting it all back together again.
So wish me luck fellow Storm riders. :beer:

ps, I do all my own servicing most of the time anyway and really enjoyed listening to some ACDC and Black Sabbath whilst working on the bike in my garage/man cave. Quite therapeutic. Missus kept me supplied with mugs of tea as well. What more can a man ask?
agentpineapple

Re: Well here goes............fitting new MCCTS this week.

Post by agentpineapple »

fingers crossed dude, i'm sure it'll be fine..... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

You'll be fine . Crack on
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

You can't really go wrong if the instructions are followed to the letter.Best of luck with it.Turn it over manually before you hit the button.If it fouls something is wrong. :thumbup: :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Hondo

Post by Hondo »

Thanks all. Having a bit of trouble getting the front rocker cover off. Seems it wont fit under the frame/bracket where the oil cooler sits. Yes I have undone the oil cooler as per the guide.

I'll manage after a brew I reckon. Must be something I am not doing right. :Beer Popcorn:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Hondo wrote:Thanks all. Having a bit of trouble getting the front rocker cover off. Seems it wont fit under the frame/bracket where the oil cooler sits. Yes I have undone the oil cooler as per the guide.

I'll manage after a brew I reckon. Must be something I am not doing right. :Beer Popcorn:
Take the bracket off as well...It is a tight fit the more you can move, even if only slightly, will all help.

Try unbolting the rads...Not the hoses but the fixings that hold the rads to the brackets...

IIRC from doing it a few weeks ago...Lift the cover slightly then tip the back of it up to clear the cam's ect. So that in effect your bringing it out more downward than forward...hope that makes sence... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good luck with fitting your new manual CCT's, take your time and I'm sure you'll be fine :thumbup:
Just take plenty of photo's as you go :)
As Mac say, oil cooler bracket needs removing too, which I'm sure you have done by now :wink:

Chris.
Hondo

Post by Hondo »

Thanks for that guys. Yep, removing the whole bracket did the job. Just waiting for my MCCT's to come hopefully tomorrow.
Have got the rear ready for the new MCCT. Cam wheels tie wrapped, all timing marks lined up.

Quick silly question, but when I took the Honda CCT out it fully extended and does not retract. So what happens to make them retract and fail?
:wtf:
macdee

Post by macdee »

if the spring breaks the cct will retract
its hard to push it back by hand but if you remove the bolt at the back and use a screw driver you can wind it back
told you not to but oh no you knew better
Hondo

Post by Hondo »

I see. Strange design by Honda then?
Hondo

Post by Hondo »

macdee wrote:if the spring breaks the cct will retract
its hard to push it back by hand but if you remove the bolt at the back and use a screw driver you can wind it back
Why can't we replace the honda spring with one that won't break? :confused
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Good question - I'm hoping to get my dabblers on an intact or broken auto CCT to take to local spring grog to see what they can suggest.

http://www.theactivespringcompany.co.uk

http://springexpert.co.uk
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

The consensus is that it's lack of oil to the cct that causes the spring to crack and break. I have thought alot about it and wondered if it would be possible to attach an oil bypass line to the main bolt of the cct to help lubricate the spring, similar to what the K1/2 GSXR1000 has. Surely this would do the job?
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
Hondo

Post by Hondo »

Right guys. I have the rear MCCT in and adjusted to what I think is 5-7mm up down play. I measured against a steel rule with MM side resting behind. With the chain pushed up it goes from 5mm (the mark thats level with the top of the chain) to the 11mm mark. So thats a play up of 6mm. But to me after putting the cam chain guide back on and tightening the MCCT locknut the chain feels slack on the cam sprockets with a bit of sideways free play. When I check the front cylinder that still has the Honda CCT the chain feels super tight with no play sideways or up. Should it be as tight as that? I know the automatic one is always putting tension on the chain, well I think it is. So should the MCCT be a bit slacker on the chain?

Guys? :think:
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

When tightening the lock nut did you back off the manual at all?. To be sure remove the top guide and check freeplay again.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!