Ongoing Fueling issues

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Beef

Re: Ongoing Fueling issues

Post by Beef »

Ah so the breather that allows the air to move from the diaphragm!
Got it, all makes sense. Let’s hope this cures it. :eh:
Beef

Post by Beef »

Fitted a new set of points to the fuel pump (though the old ones didn’t look knackered).
Took tap apart, it all looked good, I have taken the return spring out so that the it’s easier for the vacuum to hold the tap open. I’m gonna see how this works out on track this weekend......
Beef

Post by Beef »

Problem not sorted...
Right at the end of the day I was chatting to a couple of guys, one who had a Storm. They are convinced that my Aero fuel cap is the problem as it’s not allowing the tank breather to vent. I said I’d ruled that out being an issue as I thought that it would be all the time once there was a negative pressure inside the tank. They said no, fuel would trickle through just not enough when WOT for so long! I never once noticed any fuel issues on WOT (that wasn’t due to the turbulent air Due to missing shield I had installed on Dyno day, on the dyno, it was connected to a workshop fuel tank).
I do have a cheapo key filler cap I can try - I have nothing to lose! I have Cadwell later this month but I’m not going to take the storm to find it’s not fixed! I will have to wait until the next ARD next year to see.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

There is a breather tube from one of the stubby pipes under the tank, it's that that allows air back in to prevent a vacuum, not that the cap has a vent.
There are two stubs, one allows air to flow into the tank and the other is a fuel spill drain if you get fuel in the filler neck area.

You can check that the vent tube isn't partially blocked, I guess.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Beef

Post by Beef »

OK, I’ll have a gander :thumbup:
Beef

Post by Beef »

I’ve still not checked the breather on the tank - I totally forgot if I’m honest, I have just got a 2nd hand fuel tap (I broke mine in a tired strop (removed the valve so that it is always open but broke the cast centre piece!)
Anyway, once it warms up a bit, I’ll be having a fiddle!
The first ARD pandemic permitting is 17th April. Thinking about a GSXR 750....... :shifty: