Ongoing Fueling issues

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
8541Hawk

Re: Ongoing Fueling issues

Post by 8541Hawk »

For the pilot jet question, it is kind of an either or situation.
With a basically stock engine I would try either the 45 pilots with one size up on the mains or 48 pilots and the stock mains.

Had good luck with both set ups depending on the engine.

The stock needles are good but tend to need a .5mm shim.
Aftermarket needles work just fine and are easier to fine tune.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Beef

Post by Beef »

Thanks Hawk. I’ll look and see what needles I have before the dyno day. :thumbup:
Beef

Post by Beef »

OK, I have a a feeling that I may have fixed my running issues, before I tell you what I’ve done, and you all (rightly so) rip the piss outta me, I’m going to PDQ tomorrow to see how she acts on the dyno.
You’re all welcome to have a guess and I will tell the truth when I get home tomorrow :silent: :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Beef wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:20 pm OK, I have a a feeling that I may have fixed my running issues, before I tell you what I’ve done, and you all (rightly so) rip the piss outta me, I’m going to PDQ tomorrow to see how she acts on the dyno.
You’re all welcome to have a guess and I will tell the truth when I get home tomorrow :silent: :lol:
Not sure what you have done, but It'll be interesting to hear how it all goes tomorrow :thumbup:

Good luck,

Chris.
Beef

Post by Beef »

Thanks. :thumbup:
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

FWIW, if you are running the Filter-in-lid mod (which I seem to recall you are), I had to go really lean on the pilots once I went to this set-up (am currently running 38s IIRC). Can`t add much to the rest of the set-up as I am running HRC needles, Flo-Commanders and a mix of Mori/HPower stacks (with some custom X-wing diffusers), along with numerous engine mods. However, I had to go leaner on needles and mains too after making the change (I assume the added airflow improved the fuel draw through the jets, making it run rich with the original set-up). Not sure if this helps you or not... Good luck in sorting it out, however
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Beef

Post by Beef »

OK, all done & sorted.
It wasn’t (all) me.....
I had forgotten to put the caps over the carb breathers under air filter.
Anyway, bike would hardly run so I put the totally standard airbox back on with K&N, ran much much better-almost perfect in fact. Couple of runs and Rob (dyno guy) switched the fans on and the bike started playing up, he replicated exactly what was happening on track!!
Fans off bike fine!
Rob said “There’s your problem-airflow into the box, Honda do know what they’re doing!!”
He showed me the heat shield on the Honda website - of which I have never seen so was taken off before I got it. He went out the back and 10 mins later came in with one!
Fitted it, ran again, fans on, bike absolutely fine :cool2
He said that the fuelling isn’t a million miles off and certainly nothing to worry about. So I came home happy. Post dyno sheet later.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Yeah I have seen that more than once.....amazing how important some of the plastic bits can be..... :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Beef wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:11 pm OK, all done & sorted.
It wasn’t (all) me.....
Anyway, bike would hardly run so I put the totally standard airbox back on with K&N, ran much much better-almost perfect in fact. Couple of runs and Rob (dyno guy) switched the fans on and the bike started playing up, he replicated exactly what was happening on track!!
Fans off bike fine!
Rob said “There’s your problem-airflow into the box, Honda do know what they’re doing!!”
He showed me the heat shield on the Honda website - of which I have never seen so was taken off before I got it. He went out the back and 10 mins later came in with one!
Fitted it, ran again, fans on, bike absolutely fine
:cool2
He said that the fuelling isn’t a million miles off and certainly nothing to worry about. So I came home happy. Post dyno sheet later.
Some years ago (when I was running a relatively stock airbox configuration), I cut a hole in said shelf (with the thought of allowing more air into the snorkel area) and, lo and behold, the bike started surging at highway speeds. Plugged up the hole and all was well again.
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

now that is all very strange.. iv tried different snorkels a few times and it ran like crap but didnt realise the plastic shroud thing would make a difference :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Beef wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:11 pm OK, all done & sorted.
It wasn’t (all) me.....
Fans off bike fine!
Fitted it, ran again, fans on, bike absolutely fine :cool2
Well I never, glad you got it sorted :thumbup:

Well worth going to the Dyno man, and one who knew his stuff :D

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Calling it a heat shield is misleading....
The snorkel also plays an important part in flowing air into the std box.
But funnily enough I've never noticed any difference removing the plastic blade in the lid or leaving it on, but I'm sure Honda put it in for a reason.

Good you got it pinned down, well done for persevering.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Beef

Post by Beef »

Thanks all.
I guess these bike manufacturers do put a bit of effort into their R&D (except Buell, they used their customers :lol: )
Anyway, I am soo looking forward to Cadwell in Sept.
thinking about changing sprockets before them to see if I can make 6th usable on track!....
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You won't at cadwell unless you gear it so low you pull away in 2nd and forget first entirely.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Beef

Post by Beef »

Thanks Tony,

I've been searching through posts on here and it looks like there isn't much benefit from changing from what I can see. I'll probably leave it until I change the chain & then keep same size front and go 2 bigger on rear.