Well you asked for another Ducati build

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
buzzer

Re: Well you asked for another Ducati build

Post by buzzer »

sirch345 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:24 pm You've done well to get it running already, a sense of relief I'm sure. Well done :thumbup:

Chris.
yes, its always a relief you just never know! When I buy stuff like this I always think the worst, and factor in what it would make in parts if it was not salvageable. if I can make what I pay back in parts, I take the risk!

Last year I popped into the scrap yard where I buy my brass and alloy for the lathe, he has some nice stuff in there as he has a contract with an aircraft parts manufacturer and all the bar ends are marked with the material specification!

on the weight scales was a Honda 4 cylinder engine that someone had just weighed in for scrap... I didn't know what it was, other than a Honda but asked if I could buy it. the guy sucked his teeth and said its got to be £50... :biggrin :biggrin

I had no idea what it was could have been a 400... but after some research it was a 2003 Honda CB 750! I stripped it down and it was good condition!! :biggrin :biggrin I sold the parts on Ebay. didn't realise how desirable the parts were! :eek2 :eek2
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:06 am
sirch345 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:24 pm You've done well to get it running already, a sense of relief I'm sure. Well done :thumbup:

Chris.
yes, its always a relief you just never know! When I buy stuff like this I always think the worst, and factor in what it would make in parts if it was not salvageable. if I can make what I pay back in parts, I take the risk!

Last year I popped into the scrap yard where I buy my brass and alloy for the lathe, he has some nice stuff in there as he has a contract with an aircraft parts manufacturer and all the bar ends are marked with the material specification!

on the weight scales was a Honda 4 cylinder engine that someone had just weighed in for scrap... I didn't know what it was, other than a Honda but asked if I could buy it. the guy sucked his teeth and said its got to be £50... :biggrin :biggrin

I had no idea what it was could have been a 400... but after some research it was a 2003 Honda CB 750! I stripped it down and it was good condition!! :biggrin :biggrin I sold the parts on Ebay. didn't realise how desirable the parts were! :eek2 :eek2
Very good strategy that :thumbup:

You did well with the Honda CB750 engine :clap:

I popped into our local scrapyard some years ago for some 3/4" sq. aluminium bar, I wanted to make some mirror extenders. The guy there said we have some, but I can't sell it to you due to Health and Safety. I said what do you mean? he said if I cut my self using a hacksaw on said material I could make a claim from the scrapyard :crazy:

Chris.

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

sirch345 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:35 pm

Chris.

I popped into our local scrapyard some years ago for some 3/4" sq. aluminium bar, I wanted to make some mirror extenders. The guy there said we have some, but I can't sell it to you due to Health and Safety. I said what do you mean? he said if I cut my self using a hacksaw on said material I could make a claim from the scrapyard :crazy:

Chris.

Chris.
Trip over on your way out and claim for that. The compo will buy you some Ali bar delivered to your house and machined to fit.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:40 pm
sirch345 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:35 pm

Chris.

Chris.
Trip over on your way out and claim for that. The compo will buy you some Ali bar delivered to your house and machined to fit.
Now why didn't I think of that :lol:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Well the blue Monster didn't last long... it was too good to restore, and I didn't fancy chopping it about.

I thought long and hard on what I wanted... and decided I wanted to build a scrambles type bike, and a good basis for that was another multistrada. So here she is. 2003... 16k miles, and runs sweet as anything! I will be selling parts off that I know I wont use over the forthcoming weeks, and then pop it to the back of the garage until I start it in earnest in the Autumn.

I don't feel bad about chopping a Multi about, they are all going to die eventually with failed fuel tanks as we move from E5 to E10. I notice this tank is already an inch longer than it started life!

Watch this space!

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

There will be a good business opportunity for anyone making seats for bikes that were an inch shorter than standard, to allow for tank swelling.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

It will interesting to see what you are going to do with it in the Autumn :eh:
In the meantime enjoy the summer :thumbup:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

looking forwards to this :thumbup:

the pervious owner must have liked red, there is a lot of red with the colour matched top box
AMcQ
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:00 pm looking forwards to this :thumbup:

the pervious owner must have liked red, there is a lot of red with the colour matched top box
he did!, just as I like orange! :lol: :lol:

Well its stripped of all the parts that that I will be selling on... and I have cut the rear of the frame off so there is no going back now!

As an aside, I used some cutting discs a mate gave me... its the first time I have had a disc shatter on me... so glad I had a full grinding mask on me! They went straight in the bin!

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

scary!!

back when I was a farmers son we were very slack on HS&E & and PPE when using angle grinders, but I have wised up since then and always use safety glasses..... but you have got me thinking there are some jobs that might benefit from a mask!
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Wow, no changing your mind now :lol:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:54 pm Wow, no changing your mind now :lol:

Chris.
Nope :lol: :lol: :lol:

here is the first mock up...

gilson

Post by gilson »

Removing all the gubbins has transformed it and freed up all what's great about Ducati. The frame, engine and SSS on show is a wonderful improvement.

JIMO the seat isn't complimentary and I would love for it is go down a soft roader style.

I'm looking forward to this.
No bike (yet).
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Probably jumping ahead a bit too much, but have you any plans for the exhaust/can's etc :?: As that is going to have a big effect on how this bike will look IMHO,

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

sirch345 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:09 pm Probably jumping ahead a bit too much, but have you any plans for the exhaust/can's etc :?: As that is going to have a big effect on how this bike will look IMHO,

Chris.
still formulating things in my head at the moment Chris :thumbup:

I have been doing quite a few miles, and thoroughly enjoying the bike! In fact its my go to bike when I go for a ride, and others have remained unused! But they say a special is never finished… and they are probably right! one thing I have never been entirely comfortable with is flat slide carbs with no positive means of closing… So I decided to put some closing cables on the carbs. The junction boxes were fitted to many old British bikes. This meant I could lighten the closing springs a little and have a lighter throttle action, and use a faster action, which we all know adds at least 20 BHP! well it feels like it!

At first I tried a 38mm drum, but this was less than a 1/4 closed to open… too fast, and too heavy! I calculated that 33mm was about right, so off I went to my local bike breakers to hunt for a replacement. He has a very old storage unit with hundreds of boxes on shelves which I systematically went through… last few boxes, and I found the ideal, out of a Honda CFR250. Must say it was rather spooky in there on my own… lots of funny noises which had me constantly looking behind me!!!