Well you asked for another Ducati build

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
fabiostar

Re: Well you asked for another Ducati build

Post by fabiostar »

That is stunning looking :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I agree with the others, that bike looks stunning :clap:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

I have been putting a few miles on the Monster, and bedding it in… it really is a nice bike to ride!

one of the things I have found difficult is the gear change. the distance between the footrest and the lever is a little too short for me. I checked on line but I couldn’t see any longer alternatives, so I decided to make one. I cut the profile out of some 10mm plate with a jigsaw, and TIG welded the parts together… then I filled it to shape, it took a while but it was strangely satisfying! finally I drilled the holes, and found an Olite bush the right size for the pivot. much better now!

gilson

Post by gilson »

Don't bother checking on line for parts, just make them from the start. It's great for us to see them :)
No bike (yet).
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Great looking bike and skills
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

The new gear shift you have made looks great 8)

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

the bike is going well! although i did run out of petrol the other day... looks like the reserve light does not work! Worst part was my wife was on the back... :eek2 :eek2 :oops: :oops:

I made a couple if risers yesterday as I wanted the handlebars a bit higher...I could probably bought them for a few pounds but where is the fun in that! made on my old milling machine which dates from the early 30's... no CNC here although i have now gone digital!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Brilliant job 8) I like your milling machine :thumbup:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Well... My new project arrives on Tuesday... bought unseen apart from a few poor photos, and its a none runner. taken a bit of a risk on this one... but my wife pushed me into it... I think she just wants me in the garage! :lol: :lol:

Watch this space! :Beer Popcorn:
gilson

Post by gilson »

buzzer wrote:Well... My new project arrives on Tuesday... bought unseen apart from a few poor photos, and its a none runner. taken a bit of a risk on this one... but my wife pushed me into it... I think she just wants me in the garage! Image Image

You big tease... Looking forward to it.
No bike (yet).
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:30 pm Well... My new project arrives on Tuesday... bought unseen apart from a few poor photos, and its a none runner. taken a bit of a risk on this one... but my wife pushed me into it... I think she just wants me in the garage! :lol: :lol:

I'm watching :D

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

yes it was a little tease... :mrgreen:

My new project has arrived! It’s a 1999 M900. It has 9,000 miles on it. It was delivered by a courier from the North who I will definitely use again, he was brilliant! https://srcoupland.com/

I bought the bike sight unseen, save for a few pictures. It’s a none runner at the moment so who knows, but I bought it on that basis. I will attempt to start it over the next few days. When it arrived it was exactly as described, and I was very happy, especially after I sprayed the whole bike with gunk a couple of times and let it soak in for a few hours. Then a good jet wash and it has come up pretty well! It spins over OK, and I have checked the compression and that is all good.

Not sure what I will do with this one yet… it’s almost too good as it is for a full restoration, so I will get it running and then make a decision from there. It also has an interesting registration number that will appeal I guess to someone with say a new Ducati V4 as that is still an L 90 degree configuration!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I should have guessed it would have been another Ducati :lol:
Going by the photo's only I know, it does look far too good to restore I agree :thumbup:
A bit of luck with the personal plate, someone is bound to appreciate that I would have thought,

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

I didn't purposefully look for a Ducati, I was actually looking for a Guzzi, Honest :lol: but when this cam at the right price I could not resist!

Well there were a few electrical faults... one was a very poor earth, and someone had transposed the wires on the coils! I often see this... in trying to find the fault, you introduce another fault, and then go around in circles!

Also, the HT leads were not very firm in the plug caps, relying on the rubber boot to hold it in. there was evidence of arcing...

It runs and sounds OK! the clutch is noisy, and the stack height is low, so I have ordered some plates, and some cam belts as although these look brand new its stood for a long time.

I have cleaned the carbs, but they were already VERY clean like someone had already been in there. One of the mixture screws was solid, and badly mashed up, but I managed to get it out ok and will order a couple.

New battery on order as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCEjPF5Ufdk
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You've done well to get it running already, a sense of relief I'm sure. Well done :thumbup:

Chris.